Unread post by DebianJoe » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Awww....I feel special. I'm on the About. :D
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

bones
Clooney

Re: BBQ Roaster Dev

Unread post by bones » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:15 pm

machinebacon wrote:Thanks DebJoe, you're now on our front page ;) http://linuxbbq.org/about.html (scroll doooown)
Haha, love the new entries.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:50 pm

This has nothing to do with Roaster, other than being a simple web browser, but I actually found a lightweight Mac browser yesterday that's usable and I don't hate: Stainless. Reminds me of Roaster, and at least it's open source. Very nimble and sexy. I haven't been excited about a piece of Mac software in I don't know how long, so that's kinda cool, I guess...
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-08-16 at 9.43.23 AM.png

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Stainless -> Steel -> Chrome (!)

:)

Edit: looks a bit like Epiphany to me, but hey-hey, it's the GNOME3 browser, so it makes sense.
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:12 pm

doesn't that look like safari used to look like? back before they had feline names?
I always liked one called icab on the mac.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:15 pm

There was a time back in the gnome2 days when I actually liked and used Epiphany for a while, it wasn't too bad. Nowadays, I can't use gnome3 for more than an hour, and wouldn't want all the crap that Epiphany would bring along with it, so no can do!

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:17 pm

wuxmedia wrote:doesn't that look like safari used to look like? back before they had feline names?
I always liked one called icab on the mac.
Yes, back when Safari was young, nimble, and non-bloat. iCab was pretty cool, I remember that one.

Looks like it's still around: http://www.icab.de/

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Bacon, one request for the about page again, I know I am picky, but the last letter of my name is ć. :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:00 pm

I promise I had copied it from your g+ page. Must be the encoding.
(As I don't have any Slavic letters in the codepage, so it was definitely not typed in by me)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:15 pm

^ Nothing grave, just saw it now. You can also just use the deadkey.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:17 pm

David, I previously copy-pasted it from g+, and now from your post. Can you check please?
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:44 pm

^ Yep, all is fine now. A big thank you Bacon.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Since we're on the subject of translations, has anyone ever got the Roaster "Translate" option working? In theory, you highlight some text, right-click, and then choose to translate that item. The script looks like it means to send some data to Google and returns it back translated.

This is a left-over from our forking of it, I believe. Also, it doesn't work.

If this is something that only I knew existed, then I'm getting rid of it. It's the ONLY reason that simplejson is an import. It returns "nonetype" attribute errors, because it is broken coding, and it would save about 60 lines of code in all...that currently don't do anything.

If this is a feature that someone here was trying to implement, then I'll fix it. If not, I'm cutting it because it sucks to import a module for javascript that we aren't using.

edit: also, I'm thinking that if we're going to use Google, then it should be for general searching. Still, I'd rather just give the user an option to quick-travel to the search-engine of their choice and do whatever they want there. Some people don't like Google. Some like Duck-Duck-go, and why would I want to take that freedom away? I can add a config option for them to enter the engine of choice's url, and set that to be where they would be redirected to.
Thanks BASIC

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:13 pm

DebianJoe wrote:edit: also, I'm thinking that if we're going to use Google, then it should be for general searching. Still, I'd rather just give the user an option to quick-travel to the search-engine of their choice and do whatever they want there. Some people don't like Google. Some like Duck-Duck-go, and why would I want to take that freedom away? I can add a config option for them to enter the engine of choice's url, and set that to be where they would be redirected to.
Yes please. I don't like Google or duck-duck, so I'd like an option to specify the search engine (I use ixquick or startpage).

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:20 pm

point of Translate, I would vote get rid of it. Especially based on your feedback that pulls in libraries and modules only for that purpose. Probably not used enough to warrent that. Plus, no, it does not seem to work.

As far as search engine, would be good to have option. I changed the config to use ddg instead of google for home page and start up page. The 3 main I would think would be ddg, ixquick, google. But as you say, add to config, let us choose.

Great work Joe, thanks.

wishlist -> anything we can do about progress bar. Seems unnecessarily large. Possible have progress say like when you wget, the ======= >, you know what I mean, then dissappears when complete. No reason, my opinion, to look at like 5px tall bar that says 100%.

Edit - Pids you posted while I was typing. I'm curious, why don't you like ddg?

Edit2 - should the inspect element option be working? If not planning for this to work, could nix that too.

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:23 pm

dkeg wrote:Edit - Pids you posted while I was typing. I'm curious, why don't you like ddg?
1. I don't like the stupid duck graphic.
2. I like the search results I get from ixquick better.
3. I'm just used to ixquick.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Dump the translate/java nonsense, for sure.

And an option for search, maybe default to ixquick/startpage otherwise.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Okay, so away with the translate, add a search option...perhaps just a redirect. I can set defaults to whatever, so let's pick something that won't piss off anyone here. ixquick good for everyone? If not, say something.

As far as the progress bar...I like it for when a page starts fucking up and not working right, but Dkeg has a point, the damn thing is eating vertical space. I could get rid of it all together, or at least shrink the stupid thing.
Thanks BASIC

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:36 pm

pidsley wrote:
dkeg wrote:Edit - Pids you posted while I was typing. I'm curious, why don't you like ddg?
1. I don't like the stupid duck graphic.
2. I like the search results I get from ixquick better.
3. I'm just used to ixquick.
Ah OK, thanks

Work hard; Complain less

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Okay, no more "translate" or requirement for simplejson, cutting the total lines down to 689 and removing an entire dependency library. Also, changed the progress bar to be JUST short enough to fit the displayed text in it for now, and will look into only having it visible while it's making progress, or you're hovering a link.

I'll work on adding the search option. There's a few different ways to do it, but a redirect to the search engine's page would easily be the simplest way.

edit: pushed these changes because I'd hate to let dkeg down by not constantly changing things. :D
Thanks BASIC