BBQ Roaster Dev

Submitted scripts and programs
Forum rules
Your own work only.
dkeg
Configurator

Re: BBQ Roaster Dev

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Haha, grrr I didn't even write a script yet to test.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:48 pm

DebianJoe wrote:Since we're on the subject of translations, has anyone ever got the Roaster "Translate" option working? In theory, you highlight some text, right-click, and then choose to translate that item. The script looks like it means to send some data to Google and returns it back translated.

This is a left-over from our forking of it, I believe. Also, it doesn't work.

If this is something that only I knew existed, then I'm getting rid of it. It's the ONLY reason that simplejson is an import. It returns "nonetype" attribute errors, because it is broken coding, and it would save about 60 lines of code in all...that currently don't do anything.

If this is a feature that someone here was trying to implement, then I'll fix it. If not, I'm cutting it because it rocks to import a module for javascript that we aren't using.

edit: also, I'm thinking that if we're going to use Google, then it should be for general searching. Still, I'd rather just give the user an option to quick-travel to the search-engine of their choice and do whatever they want there. Some people don't like Google. Some like Duck-Duck-go, and why would I want to take that freedom away? I can add a config option for them to enter the engine of choice's url, and set that to be where they would be redirected to.
Sorry for the full quote.

The "Translate" should work with the Google Translate API, but IIRC it's not free of charge anymore, so you can of course kick it (fits the BBQ Philosophy) - those who want to have it translated can go to translate.google.com. Remove it, no problem.

About the default start page, it would be neat if start (!) page is http://linuxbbq.org/start.html and the search page (by default) http://startpage.com or http://ixquick.com (anything but the duck, please) - these two things, by the way, are not the same (I noticed that the right click only has a "Go home" but no "Search" entry, at least as of 2-3 days ago) If it's not too much work, please add a "Web Search" (or whatever) entry to the right-clicky. Thanks :)
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:47 pm

Changed the defaults to the http://linuxbbq.org/start.html page.

Will implement a "Web Search" option ASAP, with the user being given the option to determine non-default options via the config, and subsequently add options for key bindings to be set up for non-mouse users to redirect themselves.

I had considered spawning a text-entry box that would allow the search option to simply feed a string back to the search provider, but due to the fact that not everyone will be satisfied by using a single search engine...it really isn't feasible to implement in this manner. So, it will simply connect the browser to whatever page the user enters, or ixquick by default.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Thank you Joe.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:30 pm

@Pidsley. You're very welcome.

Okay, pushed the modified version with web-search tied OOTB the ixquick, while giving the user the option to change it in the config file. Set up the potential to use key-binds for that as well. I would have been done sooner, but "Atl" looks a lot like "Alt" and it took me 30 minutes to find that little typo.

Ready for testing/use.
Thanks BASIC

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 pm

pidsley wrote: 1. I don't like the stupid duck graphic.
best reason you could have :D

totally agreed on the bloated translate, that's luxury business. indeed a trip to translate.google.com will suffice in most (all?) cases.

searchengine: as long as it can be changed in the configfile i think it's just fine to set it up the way you did.

great work!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Awesome stuff. Just grabbed the latest. Question on a couple things. I'm totally happy with ixquick. ddg is more of habit then preference

1. when utilize web search - how about opening in new tab
2. for progress bar, do we really need a number? the line itself tells you about where it's at. If we nix the digits, then the bar could be as thin as possible.
Edit: hmm, forgot URL's are displayed there when hovered over

Work hard; Complain less

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:26 am

What the others said. :)

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:56 am

Sure, I can open new tabs. Give me a little while to make it nice and clean. I'll let you know when I'm done.

If I'm not programming on something, I'm wasting time posting in threads and asking Jules to change the picture on the About page to something that I recognize...like Anton Lavey, founder of satanism. Apparently, I need to stay busy. ;)
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:13 am

Oh fuck, forgot that - sorry. Will come as soon as I'm back at the box.
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:54 am

On my lunch break, I managed to set up the "spawn new window on 'WebSearch'" that dkeg has requested. Pushed with only about 2 tries worth of testing. May be buggy, but seemed to work as expected.
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:07 am

Not buggy, works as expected.

I don't remember if the 'tab label' issue has been mentioned already: we open a link in a new tab, switch to another tab, then this tab gets the label/tag of the tab that was actually to be opened - ah, I better post a picture:
tag.png
tag.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
How it works: open Roaster and its start page, right click on Debian BTS -> open in new tab, and then click back into the start page.
..gnutella..

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:13 am

Yessir, Rho pointed this out previously. That one may be fun to fix, as it looks...in the code...as though it should work correctly. I'll see what I can do with it.
Thanks BASIC

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:52 pm

finally using roaster (thanks to my ARROGANCE)

'inspect element' on right click menu, doesn't seem to do anything.
maybe dump it?

is it; (navigation) icons with gtk... and text without gtk? I like either, but icons take up less room.
the fonts look much smoother, than the 'original'
super quick, minimal yet full featured.
Top work. :geek:
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 pm

You are correct good sir, Inspect does nothing. Will remove it.

Edit: Due to incorporation with the webkit package, I went through and disabled the loading of "Web Development Extensions." So, now the button that does nothing is gone and everything should be slightly "snappier" than before by not preloading something we weren't really using anyhow. Feel free to grab and use the newest package, it's been pushed.
Thanks BASIC

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 am

^ noticed and posted that when working on the translate option. Good stuff Joe, gonna grab the latest.

Hey, don't know if anything can be done, but github crashes roaster. Anyone else come across this?

Work hard; Complain less

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 am

I have noticed, dkeg, sir. Sadly, this one isn't my fault as it is related to this upstream issue, and as it stands...the Ruby/C-based webkit crew has patched. The issue is known, but I don't know if pywebkit will see the fixes pushed through.

The segmentation fault has to do with the number of arguments being passed into "render" through a socket. (My apologies for linking to a github "issues" page...as funny of a troll as it would be, it wasn't intended to be one as that's one of the few places discussing the issue.)

Edit: If there is ever any question as to why I prefer the "less is more" mentality, this very thing is the reason. One lib is less likely to cause issues than a long stream of imports. More stuff == more breakables.
Thanks BASIC

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks Joe, I figured as much, that is was some sort of bs webkit issue.

Work hard; Complain less

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:43 pm

great work, when i debug websites i use firebug/iceweasel etc.
Glad i could help. Even a bit 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:06 am

Probably worth noting: Julie requested integration with youtube-dl...and I've got that in a VERY rough state right now. While it technically works, I don't yet have it set for forking PID's, so the browser will wait until the download completes before doing anything else.

The option to 'youtube-dl' ONLY appears on the menu bar if the file is able to be downloaded from youtube for now. I have to go through and determine what ALL of these sites do individually before it's going to work on all of them without making it simply attempt a download, even if one isn't reasonable/possible. For the time being, I wouldn't pull the alpha unless you want to help me with further development.

Edit: Got the process forks to work for youtube-dl, and will probably do the same for wgetit, because I realize that if the file is of significant enough size...or the connection is slow, this is a huge PITA. Still need to check on the website lists.
Thanks BASIC