nullwm

Submitted scripts and programs
Forum rules
Your own work only.
DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

nullwm

Unread post by DebianJoe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:35 pm

nullWM is what I honestly believe is the smallest WM for X11 ever written.

It's about 20 sloc with X11headers as the only dependencies. It's like having a no-X system, but that can handle displaying X-graphical applications.

Plus, Xrandr for dual monitors.

It uses Alt+F11 to launch a Full-screen Xterm and Alt+F10 to launch a maximized emacs...if you have emacs, which you should. I guess you could rewrite it to do something else, but I'm not parsing configs for such a small program. Hell, I'll rewrite it to use something else if you want a customized setup.

Sector11: you can use Conky with this system, but it's as close to no-X as you can get with X being invoked. Rejoice!!!

Pick it up at https://github.com/DebianJoe/nullWM, and install it. Love your command line. Show it you care.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

slartie
Grump

Re: nullwm

Unread post by slartie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Sauce + NullWM = Awww yeahh.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:11 am

not sure if anyone else got this

Makefile:8: *** missing separator. Stop.

still looking into it. Seems to not like spacing, expecting TAB. Looked in nullwm.c and looks fine, nothing seems out of place.

I'll git pull to see if you already caught it

edit: yep, a git pull seemed to fix it.

edit2: nice DJ, does what it does, and seems to do it well! Good for when you just need to get stuff done w/o distraction

Work hard; Complain less

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:58 am

The last thing I did before the next-to-last commit, I did with a sub-par editor that was set to use spaces instead of tabs. I caught it after making a minor adjustment to the original code and trying to re-'make' it. Sorry about that.

You'll see this error again if you build from source much, and that's what it means. The makefile is seeing spaces, not tabs. Makefiles like real tabs. I only mention this because it's an easy thing to miss when someone's writing a makefile, and I've walked Titan through finding them in something he was building once.

My mistake there, and thanks for the reviewing. ;)
Thanks BASIC

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:36 am

No problem! I learned something. Once I learned what it was, and knowing how you code, I knew it was some weird mistake. That's why I tried another pull, figuring a real food possibility you caught and fixed, which you did!

Work hard; Complain less

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Unia just did me a solid and helped me figure out why I wasn't spawning separate PIDs for each process (it's because I suck.)

Probably going to keep the "sauce" option with double-launches for either urxvt or emacs, and make the "vanilla" one simply spawn a single Xterm. That's all anyone really needs anyhow.
Thanks BASIC