VPN and DNS Nonsense

Forum rules
Share your brain ;)
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: VPN and DNS Nonsense

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:32 pm

^ I still use a couple of private trackers for exceptionally-hard-to-find films, but not as much as I used to TBH. I mean, I have lived the torrenting life for years, but nowadays I watch way less films.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:26 pm

^ So the you posting in the movies thread (an invaluable resource, btw) is the “nowadays I watch way less” version? Just how much would the old you be capable of watching?! O_O

Can you initiate torrent download (for those rare flicks) if it’s just a single seeder without a visible port? Also, wouldn’t it take forever to make the seed/upload quota for private trackers without port forwarding?

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:57 pm

gutterslob wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:49 pm
ivanovnegro wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:05 pm
^ Just as I switched from ProtonVPN to Mullvad in May. :(
If you pay monthly then you should have nothing to worry about. Forwarded port(s) will be active until 1st July. If you’ve paid for longer you can email support to request a refund even if the 30-day refund period has passed (although it will be pro-rated so you won’t be refunded for the time you’ve already used). People who paid with BTC have also successfully gotten refunds (according to reddit). Not sure about XMR or cash.
Actually it is also not that big of a problem and I payed for three months. I am good for now but it is a changing policy.
gutterslob wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:26 pm
^ So the you posting in the movies thread (an invaluable resource, btw) is the “nowadays I watch way less” version? Just how much would the old you be capable of watching?! O_O
That is what I thought immediately. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:51 pm

^ & ^^
I used to watch one film a day, two/three over the weekend before Uni and before being generally unhappy with today's cinema. I was also writing and reading more about it as well, so the more I wrote and read the more I wanted to watch to understand.

As for private trackers: I've been around for more than 10 years on the ones I use, so keeping the right quota was only a problem at the very beginning.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:17 pm

^ Sadly can’t even remember my torrentleech username and password anymore. They probably deleted my account anyway. Shame, had a good seed ratio. Should’ve stuck around.

Also, oooh; https://leta.mullvad.net/faq

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:14 am

I am actually pretty happy with Mullvad, so I will stay with it. It is only sometimes slower on my laptop than I would expect. I am not sure why. Maybe I should switch to WireGuard. I have still running it through OpenVPN because that is what Proton used when I first installed it.
On mobile it works fantastic using WireGuard. The reason for the recent switch was actually not this great thread here, though it may have colored my decision a bit, but the pricing and it seems to be better supported under Linux than ProtonVPN.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:26 pm

New Mullvad app version released yesterday, 2023.4.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:32 pm

Heh, IVPN is phasing out port forwarding as well now;
https://www.ivpn.net/blog/gradual-remov ... orwarding/
Kind of surprises me, because of their high price and limitations with their port forwarding implementation (only 1 port per account, which expires after 14 days on inactivity), I expected the Mullvad refugees to go elsewhere, but I suppose there’s some appeal to offering numbered accounts and having their own Monero node.

Predicting the next exodus will be towards AirVPN, who’ve already limited new registrations to 5 open ports (vs 20 for old users); https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/56405-p ... ty-change/

I guess those “few bad apples” who made Mullvad stop port forwarding weren’t really that few at all, because they seem to be spreading all over the place.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:37 am

According to the Mullvad blog you can now install and upgrade the app from their own repository.

https://mullvad.net/en/help/install-mullvad-app-linux

I have not implemented this. Yet!?

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:21 pm

^ Interesting, but I guess I already got accustomed to install it the way it was before.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:14 pm

Recently it feels like more and more sites are becoming high sensitive for VPNs... or is it me being paranoid? Happens quite often that I have to change or try different servers before things work.

Or is it maybe the "if you don´t use Chrome you can fuck off syndrome"?

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:40 pm

vic wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:14 pm
Recently it feels like more and more sites are becoming high sensitive for VPNs... or is it me being paranoid? Happens quite often that I have to change or try different servers before things work.

Or is it maybe the "if you don´t use Chrome you can fuck off syndrome"?
More proxy detection services and APIs now than ever before, so not surprising. As an example, visit proxycheck.io and go to their Threats section. On that page, enter the IP address that your VPN issued. Now multiply that detection ability 100fold.

What I find confounding are simple useless sites that employ blacklists that are too good for them, like BunsenLabs. You’re a forum for a dying distro. Nobody is going to bother spamming you.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:42 pm

^ I have noticed that as well. I have also noticed uBlock breaking more and more websites for me, but that's fine, it's the WWW's fault anyway.

^^ Interesting website that proxycheck.io.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:55 pm

Lol at Bunsen labs hardcore Blocklist
You will perhaps be pleased to know LinuxBBQ employs no such curmudgeonly tactics lol
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:34 am

Thanks for clarifying my suspicions. So in the end it does not matter what I do, for every precaution that I take there will always come a counter measure, or probably it is already in place before I am aware of it.