machinebacon
Baconator

Re: [THE 1st TIME] Our own login manager

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:53 am

by the way, try going through

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
and choose <yes> in the 5th screen
edit: tried your scripts on my PC, they do work and ctrl-alt-backspace works also as expected. in fact, this bbqlogin is used in our "Cream" and "Lunchtime" releases as login manager and we have not received a single bug report or problem...
no idea what's wrong at your end.
..gnutella..

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Unread post by catfood » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:37 pm

I put /home/break/.bash_profile in there. Thought I did at least.
Here's the code for that. Unless there's another one somewhere else you wanted? whereis showed like 20 locations...

break@grill:~$ whereis .bash_profile
: /usr/bin/. /usr/sbin/. /usr/lib/. /bin/. /sbin/. /etc/. /lib/. /usr/games/. /usr/local/bin/. /usr/local/sbin/. /usr/local/etc/. /usr/local/lib/. /usr/local/games/. /usr/include/. /usr/local/. /usr/share/. /usr/share/man/man1/. /usr/share/man/fi/. /usr/share/man/hu/. /usr/share/man/fr.UTF-8/. /usr/share/man/sl/. /usr/share/man/pt/. /usr/share/man/cs/. /usr/share/man/man7/. /usr/share/man/ru/. /usr/share/man/zh_CN/. /usr/share/man/pl/. /usr/share/man/man4/. /usr/share/man/ja/. /usr/share/man/pt_BR/. /usr/share/man/zh_TW/. /usr/share/man/man2/. /usr/share/man/de/. /usr/share/man/ko/. /usr/share/man/sv/. /usr/share/man/man6/. /usr/share/man/es/. /usr/share/man/tr/. /usr/share/man/man5/. /usr/share/man/fr/. /usr/share/man/da/. /usr/share/man/ca/. /usr/share/man/nl/. /usr/share/man/it/. /usr/share/man/fr.ISO8859-1/. /usr/share/man/man3/. /usr/share/man/id/. /usr/share/man/man8/. /usr/share/man/sr/. /usr/share/info/.
break@grill:~$ 
/home/break/.bash_profile:

if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

. "$HOME/.bashrc"

# clear screen for fbcolors, if not set
clear

## autologin sequence examples

#[[ -z $DISPLAY && $TERM = "linux" && `tty` = "/dev/tty1" ]] && exec bash
#[[ -z $DISPLAY && $TERM = "linux" && `tty` = "/dev/tty2" ]] && exec emacs
Yea, I'm not sure why things don't work either. I'm having really bad luck with simple things lately... Most stuff is left alone, or copied directly and pasted from someone else. The WM-start files are all handmade(though simple enough), but I caught myself putting some in the wrong directories before I got too far along and fixed that.

^ tried

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Hit Yes for allow Ctrl+alt+bksp.
did notice it says Generic 105-key (Intl) PC as default selection. Keyboard only has 85 keys total. Though saw nothing remotely named like it on list.

All keys have worked fine in typing and other shortcuts. Ran xev. Verified Alt_L, CTRL_L, ALT_R, CTRL_R, Backspace, all show up under correct names. Feels more like something is overriding that shortcut elsewhere rather than a key issue. All WMs worked fine in Cream together so don't think one of them is modifying it.
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:51 pm

0) What's your gfx card? Do you have some kind of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/* or /etc/X11/xorg.conf files? If yes, what do they contain? Also check the "EE" lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

1) So what does happen when you are in Openbox -> right click menu -> Exit...
Does the X server regularly stop and you are dropped back to tty?

2) What if you run 2wm and want to kill X: switch to another TTY (for example tty3) and issue a "killall X" or "pkill -9 X".

3) What if you run "startx" instead of bbqlogin? Same symptoms?
..gnutella..

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:28 am

Such things as this are why you are da one true Baconator, revered and respected all over the Nixsphere ! ( Or should be and not like you give a fark either way. Lol .. one of the reasons I respect da hell out of you.)

Haven't tried any of the choice cuts of Nix you nixers are serving up here at the grill in a long time. Think it's about time to change that too. Will have to look at the downloads and release notes eh.

Tell the truth I say screw it, let's all form a tech company and give Microsoft and Apple a run for their money fellas ?

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 am

^ nice to see and hear ya bizzy! :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:16 am

^Thanks, good to see you too Wux. Hope everything's well with you and yours dude. :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:04 am

^ dat bizcuit man is back! felt like a year, probably was even longer ;)
..gnutella..

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Probably has been ma friend. Haven't been online, except for mobile in a long time. Awwwww but missed the grill. Hope you and all the cool people here have been well.

And now ... to the babble cave ! It's like batman's batcave, only full of babble. :P