Install LinuxBBQ

Forum rules
Share your brain ;)
machinebacon
Baconator

Install LinuxBBQ

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:17 pm

So you're a real cowboy/cowgirl and want to roast your own on real iron? Let's go through the process together, it's easy.

Prerequisite: some users already have an OS on their drive. No matter if Linux or Windows, the installer will detect it and not overwrite anything without your OK. If you already run a Linux system on your computer, you will most probably have a swap partition set up. It will be shared across the Linuxen so one is \enough. It is recommended to have one partition for your OS and one swap partition. You can add separate partitions, eg. for a separate /home, too. There's no need for /tmp or /var, like eg. recommended by ArchLinux.

Start the installer
You find it in the menu (depending on the flavour it can be in different locations) - if you don't find "Install LinuxBBQ" then please press Alt-F2 or Alt-F3 and enter:

Code: Select all

gksudo live-installer 
Select your language
install1.png
install1.png (49.67 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
Don't worry if the interface language doesn't change - due to the minimalist nature of BBQ there's only en_US provided. We work on it ;)

Choose your timezone
install2.png
install2.png (45.65 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
or a location closest to you. We will sync the clock via network time later.

Choose your keyboard layout
install3.png
install3.png (58.57 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
This one is crucial. Some users reported that they couldn't enter certain keys, so make sure you turn NumLock on your laptop off.

Select hard drive
install4.png
install4.png (25.46 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
Pick one in the list. If it is the wrong one, you can go back to this page later.

Select partition
install5.png
install5.png (65.2 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
If you run Windows, please leave it where it is and don't resize or move it. Instead, click on either an unpartitioned space or an existing partition and right-click. A little menu pops up. If you already have a prepared partition, click "Assign to /" directly. You can repeat this with another partition if you want to separate your /home partition (optional!)
install5b.png
install5b.png (66.42 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
Also optional: Edit" lets you pick a destination folder/partition and format it with a different filesystem.
fs.png
fs.png (13.56 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
Enter your username, password, and hostname
install6.png
install6.png (40.37 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
As the title suggests - the hostname can be anything (and you can change it easily at any time)

Select the location for the bootloader
install7.png
install7.png (37.7 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
This is again quite important. If you have chosen to install on /dev/sda3 in the screen before, you should (normally) write GRUB to /dev/sda. If you have multiple Linuxen spread over different drives, you can skip this step and let an already installed Linux system find the newly installed BBQ. In short: if you select "Install GRUB" here, LinuxBBQ will be first on the list of your OS in the boot menu.

Resume/CV
install8.png
install8.png (52.92 KiB) Viewed 5285 times
Check the summary and hit "Install"

Be patient, drink a coffee or have a smoke. The installation will take around 1 cigarette length. Do not cancel the process or shut down the computer prematurely (if you know what I mean)

Good luck ;)
..gnutella..

hinto
Forums Hottie

Re: Install LinuxBBQ

Unread post by hinto » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Nice!!!.
Backing up my Win7 VM (at home) now. Getting ready to re-image with LinuxBBQ
-H
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:34 pm

ah this is great Jules, thanks for doing this how-to, really useful.

now i just gotta ask... LinuxBBQ Gammon? :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks :) Yep, Gammon is Cinammon. It does work, but ... okay, no Mint-bashing today. Ask Mikey :D

Found the hidden middle-finger? ;)
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:58 pm

well done! Great how-to.

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:03 pm

@Jules: hahahaha just noticed it now! son-of-an-anus :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

swftech
Sobe

Unread post by swftech » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:14 am

machinebacon wrote:Thanks :) Yep, Gammon is Cinammon. It does work, but ... okay, no Mint-bashing today. Ask Mikey :D

Found the hidden middle-finger? ;)
Haha, I installed Mint 14 Xfce a long side kielbasa just last week :P
I just wanted to easily be able to test these new app showdown apps like Lightread, Geary InSync and ScreenCloud that were made for Ubuntu. I sure didn't want to install regular Buntu so yeah, Mint for a while. :)
Oh, and you can bash, I can take it. :D
I'll probably be bored with it in a week and put something else on there anyway. Maybe I'll try this.