LinuxBBQ Academy

Forum rules
Share your brain ;)
rhowaldt
Dog

Re: LinuxBBQ Academy

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri May 22, 2015 9:20 am

^^ Comic Sans? ;P
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Fri May 22, 2015 2:24 pm

^ How about Ding bats or WenQuanYiZenhei ( bacon would love this one) ? ;)
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Fri May 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Lesson 2 Preview: http://a.pomf.se/ffpumj.pdf

Using Liberation Serif and Fira Sans and centered the page numbers. What do you guys think ?
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri May 22, 2015 3:41 pm

^ Fantastic.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 pm

^^ Me gusta, thank you!
..gnutella..

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Fri May 22, 2015 7:11 pm

Ok last lesson 2 preview using Pragmata Pro and Fira Sans: http://a.pomf.se/byfeip.pdf

Which one shall we settle on then ?

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Fri May 22, 2015 7:56 pm

^ Hmm, tough one mate, but I like Liberation. Let's see what the others say :D

Cheers
Simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri May 22, 2015 11:42 pm

i like the last one, but the Liberation looks fantastic as well. hard choices man!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sat May 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Ok then lets settle on Liberation Serif.

@bacon If no problem, can you please create academy as an repo in the Linuxbbq github ? Or shall I create one in my github and push the Pdfs there and transfer the ownership ?

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat May 23, 2015 5:32 pm

I'll add you to the linuxbbq group, so you have full rights there. Can you wait a few days so I can finish the remaining topics, correct the main body again, add and remove some things -- this also saves you the pain of editing stuff again. I'll have to fix some little things to make the guide work for any other BBQ (or Debian) release. Won't take too much time, probably I'll finish the whole bunch until Tuesday.

Thank you.
..gnutella..

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sat May 23, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm in no hurry :) Please take your time.

Just for previewing, here's all the pdfs: http://a.pomf.se/ldemxa.tar.gz ( I made some minor edits in some of the lessons. )

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon May 25, 2015 12:11 pm

damn, i hoped the framebuffer/tty thing had been written yet. getting into that shit now as X is consuming 40% CPU according to top and makes my fan run which makes my laptop noisy as fuck (yeah, i should probably clean it, too). staying outside of X obviously fixes this, so i figured i'd see how minimal i could go while still being able to just view images and watch videos etc. i will keep Googling and wait patiently for your expert advice on the subject Jules :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon May 25, 2015 12:25 pm

^ rhosey, first of all:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log|grep EE

to see if there's an error in Xorg. Secondly, we'd need a

ps aux

and also a

pstree

to see if there's some bullshit running in the background (some while-loop or so). I'll add the TTY stuff to the text above in a moment.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon May 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Okay, added the tmux/screen and the tty/framebuffer stuff, just for rhowaldt (and everybody else who cares) :)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon May 25, 2015 8:57 pm

thanks so much Jules, that's wonderful! will start a separate thread for the Xorg troubleshooting to keep this clean. it is here: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2120

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Tue May 26, 2015 7:00 am

@rho I also recommend reading through Joe's old repo grab-bag thread back at the !! forums. I learned alot from that thread, like how to watch exotic videos in a tty with mplayer ( Thanks to wux and Joe ) :

Code: Select all

mplayer -vo fbdev2 -vf scale=1280:800 --really-quiet lemons_and_lamps.mp4

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed May 27, 2015 1:12 am

^ That #! link is rocking my world. Thanks for linking to that, and thanks Joe for taking the time to write it up :D

Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

papilyn
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by papilyn » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:41 pm

5 stars!

man, i love U!

Pony
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by Pony » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:13 pm

Great and extremely useful topic, thanks machinebacon!

If I may suggest a small addition to one of the very first lessons: maybe it is a good idea to include all the locale things like setting keyboard, locale and so on as this is not in the installation routine anymore. For someone with a German keyboard even the simple apt-get can be a little riddle!

twodogs
Riesenpenis

Unread post by twodogs » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:23 am

Wow! This totally kicks some ass! Mr. Bacon, sir, you have done a fine job here. Answered a lot of questions I've had for a long time. Please do some more lessons. Have a great day!