Re: LinuxBBQ Academy

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu May 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Looks good, Jules.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu May 07, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks.

Added Part 7 and 8 (skipped 6 because I'm lazy today), so if anybody wants to check for BS, please do and edit :)
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat May 09, 2015 9:31 pm

Yeah, they are called daemons for a reason. :)

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Tue May 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks nice information here. Do you mind if I point out some things. I could be wrong though.

1) On boot of a fresh install of Academy it skips the terminal login and opens up to the wmii window manager instead. I wasn't able to get the hotkey [Alt] right arrow or [Alt] left arrow to have as a TTY toggle. Instead I had to use the standard [Ctrl][Alt] [F1] or [Ctrl][Alt] [F2] to toggle betwen them. Maybe my terminology is wrong.

2) I found that during the first boot of Academy which booted directly to the wmii GUI that I could use [Alt] and [Enter] together to open up a terminal for working inside that tty at the command line

3) You mentioned [Alt] [A] which is nice but alone it just seems to restart the wmii GUI but I realized it almost works like an auto complete where it shows the command it will execute on the bottom menu of the wmii GUI screen. Then we can type in the continuing letters of the command to execute another command. In the case of the welcome screen I had to press [Alt] [A] then followed by the [W] key to see the welcome message.

BTW It was great to know what the MOD1 meant in the ~/.wmii/wmiirc_local file. I'm still reading on and I'm caught between a few linuxbbq distributions so I have my toybox filled and dabbling here and there. Academy seems to be the lightest one I can deal with which includes a window manager which I can get around a little bit.

Thanks did I help any?

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Tue May 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Also it's interesting how upg while booting a fresh Academy image says 112 MB of additional disk space will be used. Does that mean when i make a snapshot, it will be that much larger?

Another thing I have been doing on all the distributions I tried so far is before any repository commands I would changed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list with my closer repositories from https://www.debian.org/mirror/list because otherwise it stalls at times.

:)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue May 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks nsky,

1) I'm pretty positive that a fresh install (!) does not auto-login you to the GUI. You have to create a user first, and that's where you can switch between the TTY2 (and anyway only login as root so far). The auto-login to console *and* X only happens in a live session. The relevant lines in /etc/inittab prove this.

2) There is indeed a problem with the terminology. The TTY is not the terminal emulator inside of an X session, but the part where you (usually) enter your login name and password *after installation and creation of a new user*. By default, we do not auto-login to console but auto-login to X.

3) Exactly. [Alt] [a] is the interactive session menu of wmii. I'm nearly sure I mentioned in the text that the user shall please read the manual and learn how to move windows around. The [Alt] [a] menu is explained there.

4) The 112MB additional space is the new kernel 4.0 that has been released in the meanwhile as new vanilla kernel by Debian. It will only be that much larger if, after a reboot, you don't remove the old (3.16) kernel. Explanation: we have the rolling linux-image-586 installed, that will sporadically upgrade to a newer version. Run "sudo kernel-remover" if you have more than one kernel installed, and remove the *inactive* one (so: boot into 4.0 first, and then remove 3.16)

5) Snapshots with kernels >3.18 need overlay instead of aufs. I will write a little HowTo as time allows - it's no big deal at all. /usr/lib/bbqsnapshot/iso/isolinux.cfg -> as root, replace union=aufs with union=overlay

6) The regional repository hint is commented in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list -- I haven't finished the whole guide and this comes in the last chapter.
..gnutella..

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Tue May 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Nice info again,

1) I wouldn't even know how to have Academy autologin into the GUI until maybe after I read this instructions. I just grabbed the ISO and booted it and it went right to the wmii. I just redownloaded linuxbbq-academy-20150504.iso and same thing happens, it boots right to gui and when I press ALT-ENTER and type whoami, it says 'user' is logged in. Actually the fact that it booted right into the GUI maked me like the build even more :) I could changed the password after I sudo'd into root. :)

2) OK then I guess I had it right when I said I switched between tty's using the standard hotkeys for example when i press this combination [CTRL][ALT][F2] it opens up and says LinuxBBQ Academy grill tty2

3) Love that it's been documented. I actually didn't know anything about wmii and did a google search after I first downloaded academy the other day to figure out how to get a terminal (not a tty) :) I wouldn't have thought to do a search in the forum for instructions, instead I did used google.

4) Thanks

5) Thanks again that info will help if I decide to go that route but I like the quick speed of working with live and just adding a couple components and running a snapshot. If I am at a friends house and want to make him his own version, I don't want to have to install it to a hard drive to run a snapshot after making kernel changes.

6) Nice. The quick and dirty way I work now with bbq is I find an ISO for the need and first thing I do is change that debian.list file so it's good that I can also refer to this forum if I forget why my apt-get update takes so long.

Looking good

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 pm

1. when you say "i just grabbed the iso and booted it", that means you didnt install it to your HD, right? so you're in a live-session still, which does boot directly to X as MB said. or do you mean it in a different way?
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

nassausky
apt-getter

Unread post by nassausky » Tue May 19, 2015 11:03 pm

Big apology .. Absolutely right Baconator & rhowaldt. It is a live session.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed May 20, 2015 2:13 pm

What is wrong with actually installing the damn thing? Most of the problems new users describe are coming from live sessions specially because some confuse the release notes with the expected outcome of running it virtually.

Just saying. Read the release notes *first*.

PS: Actually the whole lessons expect the user to have Academy installed on its machine. Otherwise it becomes very difficult to answer support questions. Take this into consideration.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed May 20, 2015 3:50 pm

Also, I'd like to keep this as a HowTo, so if people have a problem they can open a support ticket in the support section. Else this thing gets cluttered. Thanks!
..gnutella..

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Thu May 21, 2015 6:55 pm

Awesome Work mb !

I'm making PDFs for offline reading.

Lesson 1 Preview: http://a.pomf.se/pzgoip.pdf

I would like your thoughts on the fonts and the colors and which things look like crap and needs improvement :)
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu May 21, 2015 7:02 pm

Looks great!

When the thing is finished I'll upload a Tex file so people can make their own PDF, if you like ;)
..gnutella..

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Thu May 21, 2015 7:07 pm

^ The secret is: Github gist, draft.sx with a tweaked CSS and firefox to generate PDFs :)
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Thu May 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Awesome Stark :) Me likey likey the PDF idea!

Cheers
Simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu May 21, 2015 8:48 pm

really cool about the PDFs Stark. only thought that popped into my head was that they say serif fonts are better for print, sans-serif are better for on-screen. in other words, it might look nicer with a sans-serif font, but totally not sure about this one. it looks great the way it is now already.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu May 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Looks fantastic, stark! I just printed off a copy :D
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri May 22, 2015 3:13 am

Okay, then no .tex :)
..gnutella..

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Fri May 22, 2015 7:42 am

@rho Currently it's using Georgia, but please feel free to suggest a font you like :)

Some options

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am

^^ Argh! Please do a .tex! :)