Using LinuxBBQ Academy[Debian based] as a Video Movie Client

Forum rules
Share your brain ;)
nassausky
apt-getter

Using LinuxBBQ Academy[Debian based] as a Video Movie Client

Unread post by nassausky » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:19 pm

Creating your own Video/Movie bootable ISO
The resulting live ISO image is about 300 Meg give or take depending on options.
Some information before I get started:
This tutor is one example of what nice things you can do with a small flexible version of linux. The method I use here will allow you to create an image of the running system (as is) and I believe is the fastest to get a resulting ISO file. If you label the final ISO's correctly, you can go back in time to what I'd like to call earlier template ISO images for whatever reason whether you started loading too much packages or you went about a method wrong as I did a couple times. Like going back before a fork was started. The second reason is I usually set these up for a public location where if the CPU is mounted in such a way that the public can't remove the live CD or USB, then I don't even need to install this to a Hard Drive. There are a couple more reasons which I can't think of at the moment but let's get started.

There are 2 sections in this tutor. First for a quick how to and Second for a more detailed how-to with more options

Key:
$ symbol means run the proceeding command as user

===========================================================================================
I) QUICK SETUP using Academy wmii Window Manager

Press Alt-Enter
First lets setup the timezone:
$sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

If for any reason your time or date is wrong use:
$sudo date --set YYYY-MM-DD
$sudo date --set HH:MM:SS

Side Note: If you decide to use bork and are using a system panel/task bar like tint2 there is a config file ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc which you can change the clock's time format to %l:%M %P to show it in a 12 hour am/pm format then restart the window manager.

$dkeger
Choose a color theme or just press enter which defaults to an easily visible theme
$sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
Fix location of apt files eq. I changed CN to US on all occurences
$sudo ceni
Follow screens and choose your network
$sudo apt-get update
Optionally install cifs-utils if you want a connection to a remote smb server
$sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
$sudo apt-get install xfe mpv

$xfe
Open a few different types of videos and associate mpv with them.
Ctrl-Q to exit out and now ready to edit a couple scripts

Optionally create folder with videos/movies and/or connect to remote drive
$sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Code: Select all

mkdir /media/video
echo "//MyRemoteVideoServerIP/MyRemoteShareName /media/video cifs ro,_netdev,user=MyRemoteUsername,password=MyRemotePassword 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
Add above code to that file above last line of exit 0

Optionally set default volume, mount remote & start file manager
$nano ~/.wmii/wmiirc_local

amixer set Master 90
sudo mount -a
xfe /media/video &
$sudo nano /usr/lib/bbqsnapshot/snapshot_exclude.list
Add:

- /lib/live/overlay
- /lib/live/image
- /lib/live/rootfs
- /lib/live/mount
- /run/*
Just a updated note: The live system uses ISOLINUX bootloader and you can make changes to the isolinux.cfg file in
/usr/lib/bbqsnapshot/iso/isolinux/
whereas the installed to HDD system creates a grub2 bootloader where you can modify /etc/default/grub and run update-grub as super user.

For those who don't heed to running virtualbox warnings will notice that linuxbbq-bork-amd64-20150526.iso will not boot completely to the X window front end with a fatal server error (EE) no screens found. (Terminated with error (1)). Now you can reboot and press tab at the boot menu and change vga=current to vga=791 to get a decent sized display which boots fine. Then you will have to make sure if you're creating a snapshot of the live image you will have to add that to the isolinux.cfg file.

Ready to burn
$sudo frenchmaid -y
$sudo bbqsnapshot
Make any optional changes and press Ctrl-X to exit each editor & Q to exit ncdu

That is it and now you should have a time stamped .ISO image in the /home/snapshot folder

===========================================================================================
II) DETAILED SETUP using Academy wmii Window Manager

Press Alt-Enter (Which opens up a terminal in wmii Window Manager)
$dkeger This command changes the color theme
Choose a color theme or just press enter which defaults to an easily visible theme
$sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
Fix location of apt files eq. I changed CN to US on all occurences otherwise you can wind up waiting a while for downloads and updates
$sudo ceni This is the text based network manager
Follow screens and choose your network
Note: If you have a problem with wifi you might need to load a driver in which case it is easier to be hooked up to a hardwire connection to download the right package.
Additional Note: If you are using a usb adapter and virtualbox for this procedure, don't forget to load that usb device onto the virtualmachine by selecting devices/usb/youradapter from the virtualbox menu since usb are hotplug compatible(firmware). In my case I was using a usb-wifi dongle so I then used
sudo lsusb to see what the hardware manufacturer was
you might have to use lspci if it's a card slot or built-in
Once I saw from lsusb it was a Ralink usb adapter I ran
ceni again to hookup via my eth0 and got an ip address so I can then download/install firmware
$sudo apt-get install firmware-ralink
$sudo apt-get update
$sudo apt-get install cifs-utils Installs mount.cifs for smb remote connection
$sudo apt-get install xfe Installs a pretty minimal flexible file manager
$sudo apt-get install mpv Installs mpv video player (or you can install others)

$xfe You may optionally add a path here to have it open there
If you have them available, open a few different types of videos and associate mpv with them.
Ctrl-Q to exit out and now ready to edit a couple scripts

Optionally create folder with videos/movies and/or connect to remote drive
$sudo nano /etc/rc.local

mkdir /media/video
echo "//MyRemoteVideoServerIP/MyRemoteShareName /media/video cifs ro,_netdev,user=MyRemoteUsername,password=MyRemotePassword 0 0" >> /etc/fstab
Add above code to that file above last line of exit 0

Optionally set default volume, mount remote & start file manager
$nano ~/.wmii/wmiirc_local

amixer set Master 90
sudo mount -a
xfe /media/video &
$sudo nano /usr/lib/bbqsnapshot/snapshot_exclude.list
Add:

- /lib/live/overlay
- /lib/live/image
- /lib/live/rootfs
- /lib/live/mount
- /run/*
Ready to burn */
Optionally follow this tip if you want the ISO installed on HDD with user and settings included http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2138#p42607 thanks @machinebacon
$sudo nano /usr/local/bin/bbqinstall

Add sharp # symbol before following lines to comment out
chroot /target deluser user
chroot /target rm -rf /home/user

Now you can clear out temp data and create the snapshot

$sudo frenchmaid -y
$sudo bbqsnapshot
Make any optional changes and press Ctrl-X to exit each editor & Q to exit ncdu

That's it and now you should have a time stamped .ISO image in the /home/snapshot folder

You can now write that ISO onto a CD or USB drive and boot it up and also have the option of writing it to a hard drive after you boot up the new medium you created.

To Be Continued.......
Last edited by nassausky on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:51 am, edited 9 times in total.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: Using LinuxBBQ Academy[Debian based] as a Video Movie Cl

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:01 am

Just spotted this, thanks for the roast-to. :)
Can't read cyan or yellow with white writing BTW. Maybe try a darker shade?
While I'm hatin' :) there don't seem to be any commands as root, so that (albeit pretty) colouration distinction could go. Using 'sudo' automatically implies user.
Although I have seen people do "sudo <command>" as root.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

nassausky
apt-getter

Re: Using LinuxBBQ Academy[Debian based] as a Video Movie Cl

Unread post by nassausky » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Haha you're right about the root and didn't think about it when I was writing. Let me test out another color scheme too.

Edit:
OK I looked back at the instructions (keep me posted i will change it again if it still isn't right) so I changed it. The text of the instructions though seemed to have been all correct so I dont think I need to change every reference to $ since it was there before. All the prompts were showing the $ symbol which the user will be using sudo when necessary. The confusion might have been because I used that same color for both prompts making someone think there were # (but again like you said running sudo with a # seems to make no difference). I was going to leave it in there in the top 'key' section for my next tutorial to keep it consistent but I might just remove the # symbol for now.