"Adipositas" Reeducation Camp

Forum rules
Share your brain ;)
machinebacon
Baconator

"Adipositas" Reeducation Camp

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Welcome to the #1 Labor Camp on the dark side of the internet. There's a reason you came here. Maybe somebody posted a link, maybe you are just curious, feel guilty, ashamed, or bored. You should be running Adipositas on a spare partition (we accept VirtualBox!), or at least drop out of X (press something like Ctrl-Alt-F2).

The Adipositas release is officially labeled as "console desktop system". Common and less common tasks can be performed outside of a running X server - in at least these cases it is even recommended:

- whenever you perform a dist-upgrade of your system
- if you have a low resource system and want to encode or decode media files, for example using ffmpeg
- when you want to have a distraction-free work environment, e.g. for writing

If your X server is broken, you can still use the TTY console.

Adipositas users will find an application menu popping up after boot. This menu is /usr/local/bin/bbqapps and is called by an autostart mechanism in ~/.bash_profile

The following posts cover each section and their programs. Of course I will not recite the content of manpages or post too many screenshots. You can switch to a new TTY and run "man <program>" to find more information. I will, however, cover some hidden gems. They may or may not be included in the (non-)LinuxBBQ system you are using.

shells - "commandline interpreters"
network - "networking tools"
files - "file managers"
media - "media players"
office - "office accessories"
system - "system tools and process viewers"
bbqpkg - "BBQ package manager"
snapshot - "create system snapshot"

^ I will update the sections one after the other ;)
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: "Adipositas" Reeducation Camp

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:47 pm

shells - commandline interpreters

[*]bash, csh, mksh, zsh

The first section is loaded with a bunch of shells. For the ease of use, after logging in to Adipositas, you can open a bash shell by hitting <Enter> twice. This is usually the command line interpreter that you find on most Linux systems.

The zsh shell is a very interesting, interactive and highly configurable shell. To make it do even more than the defaults try the great oh-my-zsh [1]. Another option is grml's zsh configuration [2] and the zsh-lovers repository [3].

mksh is the Korn shell, originally used in MirBSD. Apparently, it is the Android shell. [4]

If you want to feel like in golden UNIX days, you can try the C shell (csh in this case). There are two variants in the repos, csh and tcsh. We have the csh shell in Adipositas, this should be enough to get an idea about the differences. [5]

By the way: your ~/.bash_aliases file will by default only work for the Bash shell.

Homework: Make your ~/.bash_aliases file work with zsh or csh.

[1] http://ohmyz.sh/
[2] https://grml.org/zsh/
[3] http://deb.grml.org/pool/main/z/zsh-lovers/
[4] https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm
[5] http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Csh.html

[*]python

Well, this is a huge topic and there are some free books covering it. [6] Hitting <Enter> on this item will bring you straight into a python shell. To escape, enter: quit()

[6] http://pythonbooks.revolunet.com/

[*]tmux, GNU Screen, byobu

Another great tool that helps you splitting your screen, attaching sessions and increasing productivity. [7] In a word: check the ~/.tmux.conf file. There are a few other examples in /usr/share/doc/tmux/examples/ -- be sure to make a safety copy of ~/.tmux.conf. If it ever gets lost, you find it in /etc/skel/.tmux.conf

There's also GNU Screen that is the grandfather of all terminal multiplexers ;) A bit less powerful than tmux, but still useful if you have nothing else than a naked TTY. [8]

[7] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/tmux
[8] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNU_Screen

[*]dvtm

This is a real tiling window manager for your console. [9] The modifier key is Ctrl-g, so you wuld hit "Ctrl-g c" to create a new window, "Ctrl-g x" to close it, "Ctrl-g l/h/j/k" to resize and focus. It's cool. There is dvtm-status that also prints a status bar on top of the window. Neat!

[9] man dvtm

[*]fb

fb is a wrapper that starts a framebuffer session in the TTY. In fact, /usr/local/bin/fb just starts /usr/local/bin/fbterm-bi with a background image as option (in our case: /usr/local/share/wall.jpg). Usually, you will have to switch the TTY and back (e.g. Alt-F1 Alt-F2 Alt-F1, or even easier Alt-Left Alt-Right Alt-Left) to refresh the colours.
There is a color theme picker called "fbcolors" that offers you a bunch of sexy color themes. Remember, after selection switch to another TTY and back to refresh the output.
In framebuffer, everything works just like it does in a TTY. To exit, enter "exit".
..gnutella..

Theo
CLIt Licker

Unread post by Theo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:53 pm

^ Thanks, this is very useful. No X-windows desktop but X-rated desktop doesn't sound too bad :)

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:17 am

Thanks! Very useful! This gets me a little closer to taking that leap!
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:42 am

Bookmarked. Thank you. Looking forward for the follow ups.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:19 pm

Wow, nice stuff Julius, this will grow me a beard that does not look like someone
threw mud in my face :D +1

Cheerio
simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:20 pm

Awesome!! I've wanted to start playing around with stuff like this and learning more about noX style. Just finished reading the Academy lessons and found this while waiting for my Gentoo kernel to finish compiling. Thanks so much for spending the time to write these lessons and help educate users about different facets of Linux and computing that most (and by that I mean the huge majority of GUI desktop users including myself) users never explore or are clueless about.
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:28 am

I am playing around with the live version. Using a text browser is gonna take a little practice,lols! I am in the Gnu screen atm, but I think I'm gonna try the dvtm to see how that feels! This is neat!
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:07 am

Yeah, text browsers are the WTF part of the X-less side.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:22 am

been a bit busy in the recent days but I'll update the next sections on Saturday (if nothing serious happens around here).

nomnom, Screen is harder than tmux (IMO), but dvtm is fun. As for links (the web browser), just remember that 'g' is for opening the 'Go to URL' dialog, and F10 brings you a nice popup menu on top.
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:22 pm

network - networking tools

[*] ceni
This section starts with the almighty networking setup tool from sidux. Ceni stands for "Configure etc network interfaces" and it does this very well. If for whatever reason you don't have ceni installed, you can do the changes in /etc/network/interfaces manually (see man interfaces for working examples) and bring the service up with ifup <device>. You should also try service networking restart, both as root.

[*] links
My favorite TUI browser, because it displays most websites in a quite readable format. Its bigger brother xlinks2 (also called links2 -g) is capable of displaying images in the framebuffer, with mouse support. Links is the only text browser here that does not display CJK characters.

[*] lynx
It's the oldest text browser for Linux and supports NNTP, gopher and IPv6. Out of the box it is very restrictive about cookies and secure connections. You can change this by pressing "o" and going to the options - the changes in configuration can be saved by ticking a box.

[*] w3m
Especially users of Emacs will know and like w3m. It offers image support in framebuffer (w3m-img) and can even be abused as image viewer (for example with w3m ~/images). Side note: The other browsers open the goto-URL field when pressing "g" - in w3m you need to press "U" ;)

[*] elinks
Elinks on Adipositas can play some (if not most) video streams via cclive and youtube-dl. Visit your favorite video portal (youtube works well, as do many others), and hit Alt-o to watch the video of the current page, or Alt-p to watch the video when your cursor is on a link. The information will be sent to the media player (mplayer, mpv or cvlc come without GUI) and played there.

[*] alpine
There are actually three standalone mail clients for the TUI in Debian's repository. Mutt, alpine and cone. Of these three, alpine is the easiest to set up without the need for hacking configuarion files. It even opens a wizard on first start (if you prefer using the function keys on your keyboard, run alpinef instead -- but make sure that tmux is set up in a way that F-keys don't close your session or resize the pane).

[*] nrss
A very simple newsreader is nrss. In the manpage you can find an example configuration that you put into ~/.nrss/config. If you want, put our upgrades warning into the list of feeds:

Code: Select all

add "http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/feed.php?mode=news"
[*] newsbeuter
newsbeuter is not just a newsreader: under the executable podbeuter it fetches and plays your podcasts.

[*] weechat
In Linuxland there are quite a lot of IRC clients. scrollz, tinyirc, ii, sic and more. The two most famous and popular ones are irssi and weechat. Adipositas has now both included. Be sure to visit our IRC channel:

/connect irc.freenode.net
/nick MineIsLongerThanYours
/msg NickServ verify mysecretpasswordz
/join #linuxbbq
Everything else about weechat or irssi (for example) you can learn from the people there.

Before you start bashing

I did not forget netrik and edbrowse (in fact, latter is included in Adipositas). To be honest, netrik renders some websites to death and has no support for https.

By the way....

Make use of the clever little tools that are onboard.
If you want to quickly open google and search for something online, try

goo <searchterm>
right inside of the terminal. The same goes for the English wikipedia:

wikien <searchterm>
or the German Wikipedia:

wikide <searchterm>
or the Italian wikipedia

wikiit <searchterm>
or the Spanish wikipedia:

wikies <searchterm>
or the Hungarian wikipedia

wikihu <kurva>
You can check the definition of a word with this command:

definition <word>
or a thesaurus of a word using

thesaurus <word>
To upload code snippets or images,try

transfer.sh your_duckface.png

You can set a default homepage for your TUI browsers globally, in ~/.bash_profile:

WWW_HOME='http://your-fave-website.com'
export WWW_HOME
..gnutella..

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:18 pm

^
"wikihu <kurva>"
You couldn't help yourself , eh Julius ? :D

I like the goo and wiki tool, sweet.
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:43 am

files - file managers

[*] automount
A little script (called as root) that detects and mounts all unmounted partitions. To unmount these again, use autoumount. It does nothing more than issuing mount /dev/sdxY /media/sdxY or umount /dev/sdxY

[*] clex
A very basic curses file manager with quick browsing through the directories. IMO a bit complicated to control, it uses a mix of Esc and Alt key sequences, as well as the F keys to do some basic operations.

[*] ytree
Seems to be a clone of the old DOS Xtree file manager. Very quick, eye-pleasing and with logical keybinds (for example, "e" to edit, "c" to copy, "d" to delete). Unfortunately it tends to crash on very big directories or certain files.

[*] vifm
Users of vim will probably prefer using vifm, a no-nonsense file browser that uses the home row for navigation, visual mode,view mode and command line mode. Very clever. Big plus: it comes with one of the most detailed manpages ever written.

[*] gitfm
Part of the GNUit toolbox. A Norton Command clone with two panes and integrated shell. The GNUit toolbox also contains gitps process viewer, gitmount quick mounter, gitkeys keycode printer (helpful if you need keycodes without using the X11 tool xev), gitwipe file wiper, gitview HEX viewer, gitunpack archive unpacker and some other little helpers. My favourite all-in-one package in Debian.

[*] lfm
Yet another two pane file manager, written in python. Added for the sake of completeness.

[*] vfu
Some special functions like archive and FTP support make this minimal file-list file manager unique in the section.

[*] ncdu
For every bloat-aware griller this tool is a must. It shows sizes of directories and files in a graphical way. Bloat can be easily detected and remove with a single key press. Careful, it bites!

Tip of the Decade

File managers are nice and good, but nothing really beats the core utilities: ls, mkdir, cp, mv, rm, in combinatin with regex and switches. Before you play around with file managers, do yourself a favor and visit http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/Terminal_Intro and http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/CLI_tricks

Before you start bashing...

I did not "forget" to mention ranger and mc - but they are so widely known that it is not needed to give them spotlight. LinuxBBQ will always promote the "weak, obscure, little or unknown ones" -- just because!

Links & References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_manager
..gnutella..

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:09 am

Thanks a bunch, bacon. Very eye-opening tips. Keep 'em coming!

rvijay
Window Manager

Unread post by rvijay » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:12 am

This is the main LinuxBBQ I have DL, very useful tips. Thanks. :)

jmthomas87
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by jmthomas87 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 am

Thanks for these tips. Very useful.