Kernel 3.10 and Wifi madness (iwlwifi)

Forum rules
Share your brain ;)
ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Kernel 3.10 and Wifi madness (iwlwifi)

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 am

Since I came back from vacation and for the very first time was introduced to Debian's vanilla kernel 3.10, I was amazed. The first one after 3.2 that worked without roasting mosquitos on my lappy. Towo from Siduction worked perfectly but here it was contrary, it worked until 3.10. Now I had the same problem as before on Debian's. That was the reason to switch back to Debian's offerings.

But after a reboot I was greeted with a new issue. Wifi stopped working, the iwlwifi module.
I thought, no problem, let's see what rfkill says, surprise, everything was blocked. Why, I have no idea but suddenly I had two wifi options: hp_wmi and phy0.

Ok, unblock that shit, but still, after every reboot I had to rfkill unblock all. I was fed up and lazy, took the cable and all was good till tonight. I really wanted my wifi back!

Go with your hands through your beard then open a root terminal:

Code: Select all

rfkill unblock all
That will again unblock everything.

Now let us do the magic:

echo "blacklist hp_wmi" > /etc/modprobe.d/hp.conf
Boom. After the next boot your wifi will be up and running ivanomagically. The two modules just do not get well together.

I hope I could help some desperate minds out there using their wifiless Debian machines after upgrading to a newer kernel.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Kernel 3.10 and Wifi madness (iwlwifi)

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks DD.
Remember the lame talk on another forum that one always needs the newest and brokenest etc., well now we see that sometimes it is really more clever to lag behind a few revisions (this effectively means one uses a kernel that is around 2-6 weeks older than mainline) and everything is okay.
Can you post your 'lspci | grep Net' for reference, please?
..gnutella..

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:24 pm

As I reported in the "which kernel to use" thread, my wifi problem at bootup has been resolved by the 3.11.3 kernel. Prior to 3.11.3, I had to blacklist my wireless driver, then modprobe it after login.

Tim

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:47 pm

machinebacon wrote:Thanks DD.
Remember the lame talk on another forum that one always needs the newest and brokenest etc., well now we see that sometimes it is really more clever to lag behind a few revisions (this effectively means one uses a kernel that is around 2-6 weeks older than mainline) and everything is okay.
Can you post your 'lspci | grep Net' for reference, please?
I used 3.2 for a very long time and it was the best option, you are completely right.

lspci | grep Net
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection