[outdated] Black Ivan's Font Task Force part II (Infinality)

Forum rules
Share your brain ;)
stark
MILF

Re: Black Ivan's Font Task Force part II (Infinality)

Unread post by stark » Fri May 15, 2015 5:05 am

^ I don't use it either, just shared the link incase someone was looking for something like this :)
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:45 pm

This guy maintained a set of infinality-ultimate (bohoomil's) packages to be installed on debian and ahem.. buntu. Just install the .deb stuff, or compile it yourself. Make sure you do 'dpkg --purge --force-depends' first on the packages to be replaced and use dpkg --set-selections to hold them from being upgraded by debian.
rice no more.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:52 am

ivanovnegro wrote:Whatever. I am happy with what we have already even though it is not perfect and might be outdated.
God. It is terribly outdated. Infinality was abandoned buy its original creator. That means this how-to uses a very very old version that might not be compatible with some packages or configurations in Debian sid. That would also explain some problems I see with using it on certain sites and fonts, only minor glitches but sufficient for me that I removed the .debs we created here. You know I am a font snob.
I am back on my old .fonts.conf stuff, even mentioned in the Debian Wiki, this time it will be properly symlinked:

https://wiki.debian.org/Fonts#Subpixel- ... -smoothing

Of course you can still use this guide if you do not mind some glitches and are perfectly happy with the status quo.

Though there is one recommendation to use some new iteration of Infinality, by this guy:

https://bohoomil.com/
https://github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate

But this time I won't bother with that. Maybe it is a subjective thing but even without Infinality I can live happily at the moment. Sometimes Debian sucks because obviously you can just take the bundle if you use Arch, even on Slackware they make nice packages.

https://github.com/nihilismus/bob-infinality-bundle

I still think Infinality is a tad superior to the default font configuration but it is not that drastic anymore.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: [outdated] Black Ivan's Font Task Force part II (Infinal

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:13 am

Thanks for the info. I noticed that on my laptop screen some fonts with a certain RGB setting look better than other fonts with the same RGB setting, so I don't bother with external helper programs anymore but try different settings until my eyes don't bleed anymore. It won't ever be as shitty as what we had in Windows XP or those days default Mandrake or so :) Ubuntu does a good job, though.
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks for the update ivan. Yes, I agree with bacon.

For webkit browsers such as surf, vimb, (uzbl too I think), the .font.conf does not work and fonts look pretty shitty. If you remove xfonts-75/100dpi, the fonts are crisp. However, note that when you do this, github is totally fucked font wise, everywhere, webkit browser, gekko (conkeror, iceweasel). Maybe other sites too, but my browsing only showed me github as being screwed up. I reinstalled the above package and GH looks good again, but fonts in general are blurry on webkit browsers . Oh well.

Work hard; Complain less

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:49 pm

I tried the webkit browsers and except Chrome/Chromium the fonts are indeed blurry. But it was not so before.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:01 pm

not sure if this will help anyone but default debian and adobe source code looked pretty bad to my eyes.
I ran:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config # select Autohinter, Automatic and No

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig
as well as fiddled with the gnome shell setting and added a .fonts.conf a la the debian wiki Ivan linked up there.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 pm

You beat me to it. I forgot I already mentioned the Debian wiki here. Yep, that is all.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:19 am

I will let this thread die.

If you need an updated how-to, here it is:

http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2584