Favorite browser

Linux and BBQ related polls
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: Favorite browser

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:12 pm

What's with the new address bar fanciness in Firefox? I might be happy with the recent websites, but that zooming in effect is annoying.

Both promptly disabled.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:26 pm

^ Yes, it is shit. Firefox does it again and again, disappointing.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:14 am

at least you can disable stuff :
https://superuser.com/questions/1333575 ... -subdomain

Some people actually want to see the www. yeah?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:54 am

Firefox sneakily pushing the zoom search bar on you again? Take the power back: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... er-1318441

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:02 pm

^ It is a constant battle.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:54 am

Apparently Firefox 89 decided we needed bigger tabs because who doesn't have space to waste nowadays?

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:09 pm

^ The worst thing is that the new FF tabs don't conform to any GTK theme style tabs. It took forever for the themes to catch up when FF first went GTK3, and now we're back at square one again. That's why I don't bother theming GTK anymore. Uniformity across every application is practically impossible.

Also, wrt to FF89's obese tabs, this might come across as crass and insensitive, but I'm posting anyway;
someone on a comments section somewhere wrote:The new design is adapted to cognitive and functional decline in COVID-19 survivors.
I did find out about this yesterday though; https://github.com/rafaelmardojai/firefox-gnome-theme
So yeah, guess I'll be going back to Adwaita now. At least that way there's some semblance of consistency, until the FF or Gnome/GTK devs decide to fuck shit up for us again (GTK4 coming, so it won't be long) that is....

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:18 pm

^ Thanks for the theme. It makes much more sense now.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:33 am

^ Update on my FF89 beatdown,

I tried that theme, but didn't end up liking it, despite thinking I would. For one, it's designed for Adwaita, meaning Adwaita GTK and icons. I'm okay with the GTK (referring to the dark version, obviously) since it's got decent contrast and has some HIG conformation, but hate the icons with a passion. If I use that fix with my preferred icons, Papirus, the browser navigation buttons are fuzzy and darkened (documented in the readme). The other reason is that the padding is just to big. Probably okay for a large desktop monitor, but not a 13" 1080p laptop screen.

I settled on this instead;
https://github.com/black7375/Firefox-UI-Fix (Proton style)
https://github.com/black7375/Firefox-UI ... oton-style (what I'm using)
Not perfect, but for me it's the best compromise at this point in time. The fastest way is to just turn on the disable.proton switches in about:config, but those will be deprecated in FF90, so I figured fixing it via userChrome.css here will at least provide more mileage. Not sure how it fares for those of you who already employ a custom user.js though.

Fwiw, I actually like a lot of what the new Proton UI offers. In isolation, I like the neon colors and some of the new dialogs. Trouble is, I can't review it in isolation. If I wanted every application looking like its own island, I'd just use the insult to human dignity that is Windows. On Linux, I expect a certain level of consistency across the desktop. Tab style of my browser should match the tab style of my file manager, for instance. I realize the days of complete uniformity died when they moved to GTK3 (did I mention I loathe CSS), so I'm probably fighting a losing battle here, like a Tamil Tiger in Sri Lanka. I figure by the time that happens I'll have moved to an iPad Pro as laptop replacement (because FF might be dead by then at the rate they're going), and have Linux relegated to VPS droplets, HTPC and routers.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:17 pm

Firefox is doing it again and again, shitting on its users. I really love the basics that Firefox brings to the table that is why I am still using it and always used it. I can remember my Firefox lovers thread on the Crunch forum.
Proton is another one of those things I never asked for and do not need. Though to be honest I thought it would be worse than it actually is. I guess I can get used to those fat tabs that again, like Gutterslob said, do not follow my standard theme. I already complained about the huge address bar popping into my face. Now that everything is bigger it makes finally sense. I think even the scrollbar changed and does not follow the theming.
Really, I am missing Gtk2. That was Linux on the desktop, Gnome 2 and Firefox using the old tabs that Quantum actually was reminiscent of, period.
gutterslob wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:33 am
On Linux, I expect a certain level of consistency across the desktop.
That time is long over and snaps, flatpaks and Electron apps did not really help here.
gutterslob wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:33 am
...and have Linux relegated to VPS droplets, HTPC and routers.
That will probably be my future use case for Linux.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:36 am

I use chrome (controlled by work) for work (shock!) and brave for personal stuff (here etc) and Firefox is the third leg - "I have bad redirect or something caching on all the other browsers" Or - it's broken in Chrome based browsers, let's see how FF sees it.
I honestly don't see much difference any more :D

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 pm

I hate to go to something Chromium based on my desktop but maybe I should consider Brave, at least it is open source unlike the others and has a focus on privacy and security though I have to learn how their awards system works and all this crazy stuff that sounds like Japanese to me.

Firefox is really becoming unbearable to me. Now OpenGL rendering is broken and I have screen tearing again. I thought that would be fixed by now. Back to square one. I know there is WebRender but it does not work here on this ancient hardware and always failed when I tried it. OpenGL does even though it might eat my dinner or cats that I do not have but I use it since I fiddled with it for the first time.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:27 pm

^ I'd sooner take my chances with Safari over Brave, what with all the shenanigans I've read about it. They're worse than Mozilla, and unlike Firefox, you can't neuter Brave as much. That and Chrome-based browsers are fugly as fuck. At least Firefox can be made to look native, even if CSS is an insult to human sanity.
https://archive.vn/cAGpe
https://nitter.42l.fr/cryptonator1337/s ... 7716374528
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18734999
https://brave.com/introducing-sponsored ... -in-brave/
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... e-browser/

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:46 pm

^ Does definitely not sound promising.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:14 pm

I visit so many random sites my work account has no idea what I like :D oh you like lingere here's an ad for.. oh he's now really looking at this indian learning site a lot. OK now an aussie site. ah fuck it, just do 'some ads'

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:10 pm

Resistance is futile. I can´t keep up with everything that changes all the fucking time, so I ´ll just roll with the punches. Firefox to the bitter end. :D
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:36 am

There is a rumor out there that "Edge" is starting to become a quite decent browser lately. :O
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 pm

What happened to "roaster" eh?

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:23 am

^^ I will never touch that thing anyway.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:21 pm