Favorite browser

Linux and BBQ related polls
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Favorite browser

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Depends on the computer. The text browser is usually links2 (because I use both text and framebuffer), and Chrome Beta whenever possible - because I sync via gmail account. FOr quick and dirty look-up (wiki, news, dictionary, readme) it's dillo, often with a keycombo and xsel (selected word can be opened in wiki, google or dict.cc)
For dumping website source it is curl.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:22 pm

And I forgot, I usually do not use a text browser but when I feel so, it is links2, too.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 pm

I guess been using chromium the most lately. Not a real big fan of the Firefox/Iceweael family. Roaster is good. Dillo certainly is fast. Dwb is good too. Text; w3m, xlinks, elinks

I didn't follow the rules, but there you have it.

Work hard; Complain less

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:45 am

I just started using the One browser for Android. It's pretty much the fastest I've tried, has pretty good settings, and text wrapping works great (important because of my phone's small screen). So I count this as a favorite now too.

kiiroitori
dpkg-reconfigure

Unread post by kiiroitori » Thu May 01, 2014 12:08 pm

text: none
GUI: firefox...but I am starting to like dwb. I may switch completely since I am getting fed up with the updates breaking addons and UI. I had a nice setup which gets broken in the latest release.
2014-05-01-200250_2560x1440_scrot.png

anticapitalista
Honorary Member

Unread post by anticapitalista » Thu May 01, 2014 12:53 pm

text - elinks
gui - firefox and dillo

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Tue May 06, 2014 4:43 pm

bones wrote:Text - Links (runner-up: w3m)
GUI - Firefox (runner-up: xombrero)
Xombrero is too crashy, I'm finding. Plus, feeling anally raped each time I have to install webkitgtk. Dillo is the new GUI runner-up, I really appreciated its speed and simplicity, and low dependencies.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

^ to me Dillo isn't a winner. I don't like the page rendering on most of the websites I regularly visit. I'm no web expert, so it maybe these website's fault, not the browser's. But if I have to go simple I prefer elinks or w3m. Otherwise Firefox and surf.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Tue May 06, 2014 6:48 pm

^ I agree, many websites render poorly with Dillo. I'm finding where it works well and where it doesn't, for sure. Firefox for those.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue May 06, 2014 7:19 pm

^ and for that reason is why I just have gone Chromium almost full time. Trading off browsers is kind of ridiculous. It's one thing if you're in a noX session or in newsbeuter, etc, and use elinks, w3m there, but in GUI, one browser. Roaster is usually the one exception, but fuck webkit, and many tabs in Roaster starts to get wonky or b/c of fuckin' webit, crashes

Work hard; Complain less

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 am

K. Mandla suggests Pale Moon. Anyone ever tried it?

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Tue May 13, 2014 5:05 pm

^ I'll have to give that one a try. Firefox 29 is pretty much a clusterfuck. I may have to switch to something else. Not really a fan of Chrome/Chromium, though. Currently browsing with Seamonkey 2.26, which is much like older versions of FF. Not too bad, this may work.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue May 13, 2014 5:08 pm

^ Not a chrome/chromium/google fan here too. I use pentadactyl, so the interface barely changed for me, but I'm still considering that Pale Moon.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue May 13, 2014 6:28 pm

^ liking Pale Moon so far. The few plugins I need are working, interface is the old school way and it seems slightly lighter on RAM usage. I remember using Swiftfox for a while ages ago. Didn't last long. Let's see if this one lasts longer. :)

johnraff
Sperminator

Unread post by johnraff » Wed May 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Tried Palemoon last week. It looks just like Firefox (based on the long term support version I think) and all my addons seemed to work OK. Maybe just a little bit lighter on memory, maybe a tiny bit faster, maybe my imagination. Unfortunately it suddenly started eating all my CPU. Didn't feel like getting to the bottom of it so just threw it out. (Happy to see K Mandla is blogging again btw)

Firefox for X at the moment, nothing for cli. Haven't gone up to 29 yet - many people say it's awful, some say it's OK. If I hate it I'll switch back to Iceweasel. With any luck Debian will keep it at 28 or so for a while...

Also using Dillo like Bacon, tied to keystrokes with xsel for quick googling or kanji lookups.
All code is one.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed May 14, 2014 2:50 pm

All webkit browsers in the Linux world are basically the same. But one stood out, Web, former Epiphany. It has even smooth scrolling and is blazingly fast but you would need more Gnome dependencies to use it to its full extent, e.g. password managing and still it will crash occasionally but only because of Flash if you use it. Sure, it is Gtk3 but I think gtkwebkit improved, not so qtwebkit.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed May 14, 2014 4:24 pm

^^ interesting. I haven't noticed any CPU issue with Pale Moon so far.

Launfal
Dirty Laundry

Unread post by Launfal » Wed May 14, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm finding that all graphical browsers suck in one way or another. FF/IW eats cycles, webkit browsers eat memory, the lightweight ones don't render right. You'd think somebody would break the mold and come up with something light and fast that renders right. I know a lot of it is the broken webpages with IE-centric, broken HTML, but, still...

Right now I'm surfing with w3m. Gets me where I'm going, and if it won't take me somewhere, I go somewhere else. I'm getting tired of the browser merry-go-round, and I want off.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed May 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Launfal wrote:FF/IW eats cycles, webkit browsers eat memory, the lightweight ones don't render right.
Accurate description. Though the web is so bloated and renders itself unusable. :D

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Wed May 14, 2014 7:58 pm

Launfal wrote:I'm finding that all graphical browsers suck in one way or another. FF/IW eats cycles, webkit browsers eat memory, the lightweight ones don't render right. You'd think somebody would break the mold and come up with something light and fast that renders right. I know a lot of it is the broken webpages with IE-centric, broken HTML, but, still... I'm getting tired of the browser merry-go-round, and I want off.
Seriously, it's really disappointing. Right now I'm dialing back all FF 29 installations to FF 24.5.0 ESR. We need a new player in the browser world, for sure.