Favorite browser

Linux and BBQ related polls
franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Re: Favorite browser

Unread post by franksinistra » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm

^ Try setting the dom.ipc.processCount to a value bigger than 4 (i'm using 8 atm). It's still a bit slower than Chrom(e | ium), but not nearly as slow as it used to be.
Attachments
FFvsChrome.png
rice no more.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks. Though I thought the newest Firefox should use already up to 4 processes but in my case the default still is only two. Will change and test.

daggoth
runs Stable

Unread post by daggoth » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:20 pm

I have used firefox for years. But now they expect me to install pulseaudio. And the beloved MAFF addon will be discontinued too. So thus, my peace has been disturbed...

Now shifting to the Palemoon browser.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:44 am

I now use four processes in Firefox. Wow. Now it makes a difference but stuff like HTML5 is still way worse than on Chrome. Probably they will never fix that (on Linux).

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:30 pm

I now run firefox-nightly (just to get a taste of the impending doom)....

Yup, the days of addons are gone. Save for a few (Ublock Origin, Umatrix, NoScript works in their respective beta version). Shame something like VimFX and Tree Style Tabs don't survive. There are a few addons like Vimium-FF or SakaKeys (I use the latter) that works.... barely, but it's to be expected of the webextension era. UI changes are annoying too (took an hour of modifying userChrome until I am satisfied).

If any of you is a die hard firefox user and still want to use your legacy addons, you can enable it in about:config.

Bonus (Ugly screenshot)
firefox.png
rice no more.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Apart from Ublock I really do not need anything else but the UI looks absolutely shitty.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:05 pm

^ I agree.

I am still on Opera, can't complain.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:26 am

Here's when I'm done with that UI:
firefox-done.png
rice no more.

Nili
Haxxor

Unread post by Nili » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 am

Very nice and minimal tweaks frank! I'm still satisfied with Pale Moon!
Devuan/XFCE

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:52 pm

I am now trying vivaldi, for science.

Pros:
  • Fucking a lot more sane than firefox and its fucking photon.
    Modifying everything is easy.
Cons:
  • Greedy RAM and CPU hog. Even heavier than chrome.
Obligatory screenie:
Attachments
vivaldi.png
hog.png
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:43 pm

jeepers mister!
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:33 pm

I've been using Slimjet, Opera, and Vivaldi.
Vivaldi is a ram hog, but it configures Flash for some reason better than Opera out of the box.
Slimjet is fairly fast for all of its "out of the box" features, but I end up having to install and upgrade it from their website, which gets kind of old after a while because they are constantly updating. It is probably still my favorite.
I would kind of like to see a pc version of Firefox's Focus browser for Android. I've tried it out a little bit on my Kyocera Brigadier and it's fairly decent for simple browsing, although when I know I'm headed to a "heavy" site I still use the Chrome browser.
Still, since almost every distro I've been torture-testing (this one is Solus) seems to come with one default browser- Firefox- here I am using it out of sheer laziness, lols!
Off topic: Hi, y'all! Lunchtime is still rocking after many upgrades! I am pleased to report I haven't broken it yet, lols!
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Still hopping between Chrome and Firefox and right now again on Chrome. I do not know what Mozilla broke for me in version 55, the one they claim can handle millions of tabs, but it is worse than before. Let's see what 57 can offer even though I am already tired of trying out Firefox.

I think we have an Android browser thread but never mind. Right now, because I have more power on my old S4, I use Brave. It is based on Chromium, so it has the same speed like Chrome on Android but has an integrated ad blocker. I should try Firefox Focus. I only know that the Android version of Firefox is crappily slow but I tried to use it on my now defunct S3 because of ublock..

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 pm

FF 57 broke a lot of addons, and as such, 55 is barely usable these days, since many if not all the actively-developed addons like ublock is already on 57. Kinda sad, but the best thing about the incoming FF update is, I am now effectively running the same version of FF (nightly) in both Android (cheap Xiaomi phone, and the Samsung Note 4) and desktop. Nightly on android is pretty snappy, only slightly slower than Chrome.

Brave, now that is something I've never tried. I've heard many good things about it.
rice no more.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:24 am

I've got Brave on another distro. It's probably the best thing about that distro, lols. I haven't really had a chance to play with it because I just don't like the distro that much. I usually go on it just to update it . If it's in the Debian repo maybe I can install it on lunchtime?

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm

It is not but I talked about the Android version.

If you want Brave on Debian you have to add an external repo or begin to play with snap packages. :)

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:59 pm

^ I wanted to put it (Brave) on Lunchtime, but Luchtime is 32bit :( I tried playing with dpkg --add- architecture ( or whatever the backhanded response script suggested), but I failed, lols!
I may try to throw it on my tiny Mint distro and see if that will break it ( it breaks so easily, lols).

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:40 pm

I am now settled in FF (version 58, nightly channel). All of my favorite addons are working. I think that's it, i'll drop Chrome whenever it is plausible.
Attachments
firefox2.png
firefox.png
rice no more.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:05 pm

Actually you made me try the Nightly version. It is pretty snappy. It feels again like when I used to use Aurora. Not bad. Still not sure about some other performance problems that I usually have. Though Chrome is still here as a backup.

Edit: The one thing that I really like is the low resource usage when you 'only' have 4 GB of RAM. I assigned it even 5 processes. Chrome in comparison eats a lot more but still Chrome is more quiet than Firefox, I mean the CPU usage.