Favorite file manager

Linux and BBQ related polls
rhowaldt
Dog

Re: Favorite file manager

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:14 pm

i use coreutils. sometimes i have a weird filename fuckup and use mc to rename it because the bash-tab-autocomplete won't do the trick. when for some reason i need some gui filemanager i use iceweasel :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:51 am

Depends on my mood, but I use the CLI, ranger, and PCManFM.
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 pm

It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:53 am

Stumbled on this:

http://igurublog.wordpress.com/downloads/mod-pcmanfm/

Like PCManFM, but more tune-able and less in the way (use -nohal). Interesting to see how you can ruin a perfectly fine program with feature creep (SpaceFM).

Also, for the coreutils gurus:

https://github.com/clvv/fasd
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

Subsentient
Window Manager

Unread post by Subsentient » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:42 am

CLI: coreutils. GNU coreutils because I love the -a switch to cp and it's not even there (even functionality) on all implementations outside of coreutils. Busybox has it though.
GUI: Thunar. I'm probably the only one here who likes GTK2 stuff. GTK3 is garbage, but I love the feel and the way things work in GTK2. I use XFCE4 too, so, thunar comes with it and it's good at the stuff I do.

If I'm just derping around moving videos and tarballs and songs and stuff, I'll use thunar because I often like selecting multiple items in one directory with just clicking them, and I like the file copy dialogs, but for any serious or permission sensitive stuff, I'll use coreutils because I have more control.
Bathing in peanut butter is good for the soul. Not the chunky kind though, the chunks get stuck in your crack.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:53 am

^ i think there's a consensus here that gtk3 is garbage, so you're not entirely alone in that Subs!
rice no more.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:15 am

Alad wrote:How about...

http://www.clex.sk/about.html
For me, CLEX and ytree crash when browsing through a folder with certain file types. There's no pattern I discovered yet, but if I move the file to another folder, things work normal. Can't really hold a candle to other FMs like vifm, ranger or mc. I might recommend vfu as another light alternative.
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:24 am

gtk2 is fine for me. I don't have a FM installed, but I can see the advantages for larger tasks. Fortunately my tasks are generally simple mv's and cp's.

Work hard; Complain less

archvortex
Uninstaller

Unread post by archvortex » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:09 am

coreutils, mc, ranger and PCManFM for a GUI FM. It all depends on my mood, how lazy I feel or if I'm helping one of my kids.
GUIs??? We don't need no stinkin' GUIs!!!
LinuxBBQ - No bloated bullshit to meet the needs of the less technical Linux user
Color is bloat

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Coming to the BBQ I use XFE for Gui needs but discovered Gitfm last night and worked out to used mkdir command to make a new directory within a directory and MC - so in short those 3.:)
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:51 pm

xfe at work and on my personal desktop... ranger on my netbook. A constant gripe of mine is that xfe has its own random hotkeys, but then again I suppose I have a lot of other, much more useless information floating around in my head. Can't beat the dependencies for a graphical file manager though...

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:31 am

^ heh, I use xfe and ranger as well :D
Hmm, might want to check out what coreutils and vfu does. I have not seen this thread before :S
Time for some research.

simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:52 am

I think, as predominantly we leverage CLI tools here, it would benefit anyone who has not, to make the effort utilizing core-utils as their main file manager. What are your typical tasks anyway? Copy, unzip, move, remove, tar, view, create, navigate directories, etc. All so easily done right there in the terminal you already have open.

As a benefit, your skills and confidence will sky rocket. Trust me. Primarily working through a GUI version of what is already plainly available is just extra effort. Sure, there are use cases where it may provide benefit, but that is not the norm.

Give it an honest try.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:08 am

What drew said, I don't see a single scenario where GUI beats TUI, especially when it comes to batch operations or working with wildcards or regexp.
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:29 am

I have to agree with my fellow grillers here. I haven't used a GUI file manager in a while, despite having moved to a full bloated DE with Thunar ready to go.

As Pidsley said, on every system you can rely on coreutils and that's the beauty of it.

If not coreutils, I've been going the DebianJoe way: Dired.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:02 am

The only time I break, and use thunar, is on a pile of mp3s. which had become very disorganised.
There wasn't any reason for using it really. Perhaps ctrl clicking 20 or thirty disparate folders (ie jazz), then putting then in one jazz folder. couldn't really bear to think of mv {*[M]mingus*,*[cC]oltrane*, etc...

edit: or whatever the heck it would be.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:39 am

yesh, definitely what has been said here, including Wux's scenario indeed. a solid knowledge of regex is the only way to get around these types of things in the CLI, and regex can be hard to accurately remember sometimes, especially once it gets complex.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.