Which DE/WM do you like least? ;)

Linux and BBQ related polls

Which of these DE/WM do you actually hate?

KDE
28%
GNOME3
17%
MATE
3%
XFCE4
No votes
LXDE/razorqt
14%
e17
14%
Trinity (KDE 3.x)
No votes
CDE
7%
EDE
No votes
Afterstep/GNUstep
No votes
WindowMaker
7%
Other
10%

Total votes: 29

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Re: Which DE/WM do you like least? ;)

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:52 am

^ can i say that your comment is terribly awesome in a lot of ways? ;)

^^ Enlightenment...... lucky me, i never install that in any of my machine.
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:47 am

^ I thought it was more awesomely terrible. :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:21 am

What's a DE ? :P

Just popping up/in to say hello to all you kickarse grillers. Hope you're all doing great and oddly enough miss ya'll when you're gone. * Awwww shucks n golly gee. :D

OT: DE ... not sure, haven't even tried all those on the list and been forever and a day since using or installing a full de on anything. You guys and #! spoiled me forever ! Spoiled me I tell ya, whaaaaa !

Probably missing out and should do more exploring of all the awesome gui'ey goodness ( and/or suckness) gnu/Nix has. Now that I've got hardware that isn't on welfare, not like it'd hurt to check em out. Though remember, you're talking to a guy who once started routinely removing conky, cause got to considering it as bloat.

"Wtf ... .4mbs of my ram and .03-07% of the cpu for this ?!?!! Die conky, DIEEEEEE." :)
Now that I've read the thread and seen what some of the nixers I respect da most have to say on the topic, time for more babble.

Don't like e17 either but fricken thing does have plenty of eye candy and glitz jammed into it for the system overhead. Would say toooooo much eye candy, overkill and jumbled. Took me like 12hrs to figure out how to add the keyboard shortcuts I wanted to da bastid !

Yet another edit: Think someone could tame the sucker though and make something good out of it. If they want to spend the next gawds only know how much time learning to tweak the sumbytch. No thanks. :)

Currently use, xfce on Linux Mint v 17.2 and openbox on Debian 8-8.5 and like them both.

Lol ... nope Baconator, for me system overhead and resources will always be a primary consideration when choosing a UI or GUI. Gotten to where there's no way I can separate the two and will still always take performance and efficiency over looks n feel.

Fortunately we all know w Nix, it's not an issue. There's something for everyone and learning to tweak/customize whichever can go a damn long way towards enduser happiness too.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:45 pm

^ it finally happened. bizcuit is running green Ubuntu. :D
..gnutella..

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:53 pm

oh I have to add something wrt to the new plasma5 of KDE. it's really nice looking OOTB in Debian. Seems they want to make it look like GNOME3, bright and flat and everything. The dependency count is terrible, the resource usage too.
GNOME3 on the other hand did not even start up on this laptop here (blame nvidia!) so I cannot comment on it. As I try to stay away from gtk3 (and qt of course) I felt very satisfied and clean after purging libgtk3* and libqt*. Resource usage went back from sub-500 to sub-60.
..gnutella..

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:56 pm

Well... e17 has to be at the top of my list too, although lowrider can make it look decent. I'm also not an awesome wm fan (Lua? Really?) and because it is in active development it can be buggy. I'd have to also mention fvwm, even tough I have seen some nice scrots, just because I think anything that configurable is stupid.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:12 pm

That's the thing - on some scrots e17 looks acceptable, but they have a serious problem with their default fonts they are using. I can't stand them. And I can't stand blue on carbon-black ;)
..gnutella..

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:51 am

Hangs head, guilty as charged. :\

Have always like LMint though. The maintainers and community seem to have a totally different attitude than the base distro. Ubuntu did it to Debian and LM turned around and did it to Canonical Inc. :D Then again, I've seen what you can do with Ubuntu Machine.

Comes to gui's, long since been wanting to see what conky can do liberally applied to simple windows managers. Good old Openbox or fluxbox etc.
Compulsive need to babble further: Keep meaning to install and try out LMDE ...

If were/am going to install anyone's mix of Debian unstable, it'd be MB's and if anyone's spin on Debian stable, it'd be Linux Mint's, unless the Baconator put out a stable spin. Then would have to try both. :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:20 pm

^ We already have some Stable spins. ;) But anyway if I were to install stable, I would prefer Debian proper any time. Many derivatives add unnecessary stuff like borked backports and incorrect pin priorities except maybe Antix and of course Bacon's Gtk free versions.

bizcuit
Gangbanger

Unread post by bizcuit » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:27 pm

^Thanks Sir Ivan, didn't know about that.

Damn good to see you fellow nixer. For sure hope all is well for you and your family. Also agree with you, once I managed to get up the knowledge to do it myself, it's hard to be satisfied with anything else.

Though being willing to try someone elses spin on Debian, for me is one of the highest compliments. Like and still support LM. Was my 1st gnu/Linux luv .. awww. You never forget losing your cherry. :D

But when comes to the Baconator, the guy knows his Nix. Worth trying the stuff he makes available just because of that. He might've included or config'ed some kickbutt packages or whatever that I had no idea existed. End of dy, agree with you Sir Ivan, it's hard or impossible for anyone to make a gnu/Nix spin that suits someone's preferences more than one they've made themselves.

(edit: Again with the exception of nixers like Machine that is. Dudes probably forgotten alot of stuff about tech/Nix that I haven't learned yet.)

Viva la Ivan ! :)

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:13 pm

Well, I am guessing that my awesome E17 scrot a while back failed to change any minds, lols!
I had to pick razorqt because no matter how I set it up, at some point I will never fail to break it :))
E17/19 usually comes out the same, but I have to work a little harder to achieve breakage (maybe 15% more effort for breakage)
Window Maker I have just never figured out how to use, so I can't rate that one.
Afterstep: I've just never been bored enough to look at seriously (is GNUstep really a thing?)
For all their glitz and bling, I always expect more from the big three (Gnome, KDE, Xfce), but I think all the added flash aside they are all about on par with Mate.
And if I feel the need to have a full-blown de, then Mate is what I usually set up ;)
I will say KDE with all its own programs needs a damned handbook and a youtube channel, though.
I think they will eventually devise a new KDE filesystem and launch their own OS at some point, lols.
I am perfectly happy using spectrwm, openbox jwm, i3, and cwm.
I have not figured out how to properly configure (set up) a herbstluftwm, but I have been reading up on it!
You guys know me! I just love breaking stuff! >;-D
Happy Thanksgiving! Happy Whateverseasonalfestivalisgoingoninyourpartoftheworldatthemoment!
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

Theo
CLIt Licker

Unread post by Theo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:17 am

I vote others for Unity because I didn't use other contenders like Plasma or Gnome 3. It's all way too much for what I'm doing. For me it's hiring nomnom and his truck for transporting a matchbox to the otherside of the town and with flat tyres and a shortage of fuel. Otherwise it could be fun but doesn't make any sense ;)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:14 pm

^ lol, that analogy :D
..gnutella..

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:44 pm

^^ I hear ya! I have a running U****u Unity on my first drive, but I hardly use it.
I would like an actual menu, please?!
It just seems, well, not-so-intuitive (can I use that?)
"Draggy" comes to mind. Not as in "Fabulously Feminine Attired", more like "Click, and then...."
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:25 pm

I still like KDE the least of all DEs, but must say that the Ubuntu take on GNOME suits me very well.

Important to notice here is that my focus have shifted somewhat these last years. Decent hardware has become important for me. Which makes it more comfortable to run a full DE. :)

Still got a soft spot for the dear old Openbox though.
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:51 am

Wow. KDE was the least popular here. Now I would definitely put Gnome on my "do not touch it ever again"-list.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:44 am

I am still fine with GNOME, but that's because I am lazy.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:24 pm

^ same. I want to go back to i3 but can't be bothered. I tried regolith but it was so far from what I was expecting and what I'd set up I just couldn't.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"