What distros are you using?

Linux and BBQ related polls
simgin
Meme Fodder

Re: What distros are you using?

Unread post by simgin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Hello gentlemen.

Hmm where do I start.... I have been hopping for ages (bare metal installs 90%) tried pretty much every "user friendly / bloated" distro and still do. I failed on Arch proper and Gentoo :) it was a while back and maybe looked at them too early in my linux hobby career.
Now I usually run the different BBQ spins on VM , tyring to find the "perfect" one for me :) My install atm is Antix 13.4 I think, just because I never used it before and I would be in the same stratosphere as here (Sid version). I sometimes use Manjaro as well depending on mood :)) But the conclusion is, that I spend most time on BBQ stuff and some on Manjaro still.
Recently I have been intrigued in Slackware (not tried that either) and some of the BSD's . I think Bones is to blame for that one ;) There is just something mentally blocking me from trying it. ( as mentioned before arround here, I'm not as good at this as pretty much all of you :) But I learn, and have to start somewhere.

+1 to MB for starting this sight, and for him and all you others for being such an inspirational bunch for me and others! +1 to Pidsley for making this thread, so it gives us an insight on each other!

Cheers
Simon

PS: This is the first forum I have ever been in where there is no distrolette/linux vs BSD/ linux vs world bashing, and I am thankful that you are strict on these things.
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:10 pm

simgin wrote:Now I usually run the different BBQ spins on VM , tyring to find the "perfect" one for me :) Recently I have been intrigued in Slackware (not tried that either) and some of the BSD's . I think Bones is to blame for that one ;) There is just something mentally blocking me from trying it. ( as mentioned before arround here, I'm not as good at this as pretty much all of you :) But I learn, and have to start somewhere.
1) Don't wait for the "perfect" BBQ spin, roast your own! Start with Summer 2014, and season to taste! Use Cream to test WMs, find one you like.
2) Slackware is really easy to install, no harder than Debian. And then configuring to your liking is pretty simple after that.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:15 pm

^ 1) Thank you for the words, Bones. Just downloaded Summer, so will be trying some stuff now.
2) I will download Slack now :) Just one thing though, as an intro to that world would Salix be good? (Think they have Base etc.)

Cheers
Simon

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:51 pm

^ Yes, Salix is a great Slackware distro, a good intro, and it has Gslapt for dependency resolution, and Sourcery for SlackBuilds. "Slackware for the lazy Slacker." ;)

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:04 pm

^^ Bones , I'm not that lazy ;) I took a Basic spin hehe, looking forward to this.

^ Zazen, that sounds very interesting +1 . I forgot all about NASA using Debian :D

Simon

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:07 pm

^ Here's a base Salix, no-X install I did a while back, showing tmux, spi (package manager), and links browser.
Attachments
salix_1.png

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:14 pm

^ Again thank you mate, interesting to see. But.... I think we are slowly hijacking Pids' nice thread :) I'll give feedback later.

Cheers
Simon

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:22 pm

^ Not a hijack -- I wanted a thread where we could discusss distros without mixing them all throughut the scrot threads. Carry on.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:08 pm

@simgin: see my post: i've started with a bare Boner (no-X), and added all the shit i wanted myself. of course in truth i have ended up with a slightly less bloated version of #!, but hey, who gives a shit? have fun :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:32 pm

What I liked about my journey through Linux is how simpler everything is now. If I'm stuck with BBQ and Arch, with Gentoo just around the corner, is because I really love having my own setups just like I wanted them to be. Or at least setups where I know what is happening and, in most cases, why it is happening.
This is not to say that I couldn't learn anything with other distros or that they're so bad and stole my toys. I had fun with Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, OpenBSD, Slackware and whatever else I put my hands on. I learn something, I worked on something good with all of them and now I know they aren't what I was looking for. Just like MS Windows and Mac OS X: I know people use them happily, but my cup needs a different kind of tea.
A minimal install that boots right into the command line gives me the fun of exploring, understanding and building the right thing. BBQ, Arch, Gentoo, LFS, killX... These are what work for me. These are the ones that stopped my relentless hopping.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Totally agree with you, gekko. Any netinstall/mini ISO will do - kernel, GNUtils (or BSDutils), some package manager, man pages. what else does a man need?
..gnutella..

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:54 pm

I could go into a lengthy boring discoure on distros I use and why I do so. TL;DR I download a bunch of ISOs and work them until they (or me) fall to dust.

Some of my attempts:

Debian 7 - my mind broke
Debian testing - fglrx broke
Mint 17 - MDM broke
Fedora 20 - installer broke
CentOS - kernel broke
OpenSUSE - everything broke
OpenBSD - kernel broke (and my patience)
Debian sid (Summer) - worked until tax day (windows #$%!)

Right now on Arch, I could rant how it's easier to maintain and stuff but the chief reason is probably having a few months of Linux under the belt. After I break Arch I'm going to try Slackware.
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:18 pm

Alad wrote:After I break Arch I'm going to try Slackware.
Seeing as how you broke both Debian 7 and CentOS, it's conceivable that you can break Slackware. Will be interesting to see how that goes. ;) I haven't been able to... I've made some PEBKAC mistakes early on, but even then did not break it.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:20 pm

I guess I could also mention that there are a couple of distros that I keep around as Live CDs/DVDs:

Puppy Slacko
Tails
Liberté
antiX
Jibbed

Pony
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by Pony » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am

Crunchbang
BBQ Pony, Camel

Kaos
The last one is a KDE I have installed to be able to help my father. He is interested in all things he can do with photographs on a computer. Buying photoshop was not an option but I felt he will like digikam and he really does. He is 75, he will never become a linux guru anymore so a distro without a DE was not an option. I find it cool that he made the move to use Linux (of course besides Win7).

Subsentient
Window Manager

Unread post by Subsentient » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Most desktops: SubLinux2 i586
PowerPC Mac desktops: Debian PPC
Servers: Fedora 20 i686 with Apache.
Bathing in peanut butter is good for the soul. Not the chunky kind though, the chunks get stuck in your crack.

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:52 pm

LinuxBBQ, #!, Mint, elementaryOS, Kubuntu, EvolveOS
-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

fbt
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by fbt » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:49 am

Arch (my own spin) on desktops — because it has fresh packages and is pretty easy to mantain even in a very customized state. pacman doesn't get in your way too much if you understand the basics of how arch's package management works.
Debian (stable) on servers — because necrophilia. Err. I meant stability.

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:14 am

bones wrote:
Alad wrote:After I break Arch I'm going to try Slackware.
Seeing as how you broke both Debian 7 and CentOS, it's conceivable that you can break Slackware. Will be interesting to see how that goes. ;) I haven't been able to... I've made some PEBKAC mistakes early on, but even then did not break it.
Well, I did break it. I changed my user umask to 027, so accidentally created a package with root 750/640 permissions. I.e after installing it all my /usr/* and /lib/* permissions got screwed over. :D Thx tar.

(I've worked around this "feature" by setting umask 0022 in slackman)
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

twoion
Mr. Saggy Tits

Unread post by twoion » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Notebook(s): Debian unstable (black, no sugar)
Work server(s): Ubuntu Server (pretty nice as a platform actually)