What distros are you using?

Linux and BBQ related polls
RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Re: What distros are you using?

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:45 pm

I completely tore up my PC trying to install PC-BSD, a few days ago. Right now, the only distro I have is Arch / Openbox. I hope to add a BBQ spin, before long.

Tim

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:07 pm

one year on the forum, still hoping to install BBQ :p

Must be that hidden installer...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:20 pm

^ XD
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

doubledutch
killall X

Unread post by doubledutch » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:22 am

I've got linuxbbq Elixir installed on two laptops (one of them x86 and the other amd64) and a desktop (amd64).

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:22 am

Oh, BBQ summer was one of the systems that was lost in the destruction.

Tim

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:40 am

Daily use is Summer, other partitions contain Ubuntu 14.04, Fedora 20, Spring, Gruffalo, and Colin. Haven't updated Gruffalo in a month or so, and Colin even longer. I should re-purpose my Summer install as an updated version of Colin.

Work hard; Complain less

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:48 am

LinuxBBQ Haggis heavily customized is my main one. Other partition on this lappy is dedicated to CRUX.
Then usual stuff around: Arch, Fedora 20, LinuxBBQ Bowlful, vanilla Debian sid and stable.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:25 pm

^ recently added to that a couple of Ubuntu netinstall (one with busybox and one with MATE) and another Fedora 20 with GNOME Shell. I seriously doubt these will last more than a couple of months, but let's have fun for a while.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:42 pm

Crunchbang and Arch on the same laptop ( though i rarely boot into #! anymore )

If I had the hardware then:

Some no-X BBQ spin, Slackware, Crux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD.
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:33 pm

At this time, I am booting BBQ Hot Dog, Kwort, and Salix on a 320GB Dell Inspiron (Celeron processor) that I had gotten from the school district and antiX and no-X NetBSD on a 120GB Acer Aspire One (Intel Atom N270).

One day, I will post in a battlestation thread and have a 16:10 IPS monitor and a Cherry MX Green KBParadise V60 with a Logitech G400s mouse. One day... :(
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:50 am

^ Cool, how is Kwort? I had thought of it. Only thing I know, that it is based on on CRUX. But is it more user friendly or?

simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:16 am

^ You know, I haven't found Kwort to be substantially different than CRUX, personally. kpkg was a little confusing at first, and I had a heck of a time trying to configure wifi. I ended up not being that much less of a hassle than a full CRUX install. If I was to be looking for a time-conscious/user-friendly distro, Alpine and Slackware would be much better options. (My $0.02)

On a side note, I missed the release of OpenSUSE 13.2 :D (I must have had my head in the sand this semester...) Will toss that in a VM (on a VPS) and give it a try tomorrow.

Edit: I should add, though, that CRUX ports work fantastically with Kwort. You just need to run

Code: Select all

kpkg install httpup fakeroot rsync ports
to have a shot at CRUX's ports :D

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:46 pm

^ Aha, thank you for the info mate, does sound a bit tough tbh. But now I need to try it, might as well learn the technique of growing a proper beard :D

cheers
simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:42 am

i got CRUX, linuxbbq summer, and arch (though it's been ages since i boot into arch) on my primary ssd
and trying dragonflybsd (dports are cool) , NuTyX, and Kwort (since doc_chroot mentioned it)
rice no more.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Dr_Chroot wrote:^ You know, I haven't found Kwort to be substantially different than CRUX, personally. kpkg was a little confusing at first, and I had a heck of a time trying to configure wifi. I ended up not being that much less of a hassle than a full CRUX install. If I was to be looking for a time-conscious/user-friendly distro, Alpine and Slackware would be much better options. (My $0.02)
PITA wifi configuration is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. Sometimes I consider getting a spare desktop to mess with at home, but then, how much time do I really want to waste doing this shit? Already on the computers (again) too much, after my little stint in non-computer-work world.

Still thinking of trying CRUX, though. ;)

So right now, it's just OpenBSD, and Mac OSX (which pays the bills). Probably do some Slackin' again, soon.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:08 pm

bones wrote:how much time do I really want to waste doing this shit? Already on the computers (again) too much, after my little stint in non-computer-work world.
That sis so true; I probably spend ~8 hours a day on my Thinkpad, which is probably too much. There is something so refreshing about just going for a little walk outside; I went to the gym yesterday and used the bench press for a bit and then some ring dips and side bends with a high-pulley cable. Just about killed myself. I then walked down to Dunkin' Donuts and bought half a dozen, just to get some walking in. Yeah, I know, I should work out more ;)
bones wrote:So right now, it's just OpenBSD, and Mac OSX (which pays the bills).
If it puts money in your pocket, that is great :D Out of morbid curiosity, as you using it to run software for the company, such as Eclipse? Or are you doing graphic design?

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:42 am

Dr_Chroot wrote:If it puts money in your pocket, that is great :D Out of morbid curiosity, as you using it to run software for the company, such as Eclipse? Or are you doing graphic design?
Neither. I am a prepress technician/manager in commercial printing, which is a business almost entirely driven by Macs at the workstation level, and Windows Server for servers. I have done graphic design at the professional level in the past, however, but I don't think I'm terribly good at it.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:47 am

^ Ah, gotcha ;)

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:49 pm

right meow Debian, Slackware and Netbsd. Have FreeBSD and OpenBSD installed just dont use that regular.

up next searching...
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]