Which colors do you prefer: lighter or darker?

Linux and BBQ related polls
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Which colors do you prefer: lighter or darker?

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:07 pm

The /usr/bin/scrot section and the Xresources/Xdefaults colors topic are pretty examples of our tastes when it comes to color schemes.

I don't want to know which one you are currently using (feel free to write it here, of course.) I just want to know if you go light or dark or mix and match both in your terms, text editors, GTKs, etc.

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Which colors do you prefer: lighter or darker?

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm sure you all know me pretty well by now. I like both. I like earth color schemes with a rich brown BG, blue (actually just made a nice blue scheme). For light I only really like my haze scheme (a top 5er for me) and solarized light.
I'll always match everything, including panel, notifications, gtk theme, and make sure color changes don't mess up irc or vim configs, etc. I put the effort in so everything works. Generally if I'm happy with the scheme I push it to github with everything needed to recreate if I (or anyone else) ever want to reuse old ones.

Work hard; Complain less

RandomCharacter
Gangbanger

Unread post by RandomCharacter » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:56 pm

I prefer light color schemes.

Tim

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:32 pm

For the most part, I prefer darker colors although I do not mind a few lighter shades now and then. For the most part, I try to focus on getting the colors to blend with whatever wall I prefer at the moment and then go from there. I try to sync the colors in between my bar, terms, and Emacs to the best of my abilities, but there always tends to be those pesky discrepancies here or there as I don't have near the same amount of patience that dkeg has :)
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:43 pm

I am a sucker for dark colors.

My eyes are bad and I spend 9-10 hours in front of a monitor every day. I used to work with light color schemes, mainly because I was using Eclipse and didn't bother to change that white background. Too bad, eyes were so tired at the end of the day I couldn't even watch a movie (and if you know me, you know that should not happen.)

I mainly go with solarized dark because I have not the skills of our artist dkeg in creating cool schemes. Plus, solarized dark for Emacs is a winner because it goes with everything I do with it. This is on my main laptop, of course. Otherwise I try to balance the colors with the background and act like a dkeg-wannabe.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:43 pm

I like both, it just has to look good but I tend more towards darker but not too dark.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:54 pm

As long as I can see the text, I am ok, but I tend to use solarized dark.
That is the reason why I use solid color as background too.
I always end up with white text on top of a white area on a wallpaper

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:22 pm

dark, numixdark colours and dkegs mumix darker GTK. haven't been bothered to change.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:20 am

Dark, preferably 'mono' type of schemes (so, black background and shades of one main colour as foreground). Since I have been using dark colour schemes, I have no tired eyes in the evening or night before going to sleep. And I prefer high contrast, for example dkeg's iron, skateboard, streetlamps, colorbar, or pidsley's greens, wuxen's mono, and so on.
..gnutella..

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 am

Dark color schemes for the terminal ( dkeg's glass and haze are a exception ) and light colors on the gtk. I never try to match the colors to the current wallpaper or other stuff as I get bored pretty with a matching setup and I'm a lazy guy :D

Did you guys tried f.lux ? If not you should consider using it, Its very helpful and not so reddish like redshift. ( f.lux is more orangish ).Your screens at night will look like instagram ;)
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:53 pm

I use bbqshift for color temperature adjustment http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1103 (because I hate GTK frontends for basic tasks)
Match the xcolors to the wallpaper in less than 30 seconds: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=823 (because I am a lazy guy)
Pick the 16 colors from any point of your screen into an Xcolors file: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1603
Make a GTK Numix theme from your xcolors: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1104
Create a CSS template from your xcolors: http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1081

Have fun being lazy ;)
..gnutella..

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:52 pm

^ o_o Is there anything else in that secret lair of yours ?

/speechless
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:57 pm

Of ours, my friend, of ours :)

The /usr/local/bin section is hidden, but a nice corner on lonely Sunday evenings :)
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:05 pm

i prefer dark.
jules is the king of smacking you in the face with a bunch of cool things :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:20 pm

^ Best Description EVER!