Why did Linux pick you? And why did Sid?

Linux and BBQ related polls
machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Why did Linux pick you? And why did Sid?

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:00 pm

^ sidux was an excellent distro, one of the slimmest KDE and XFCE4 desktops, they even had lite editions which I loved... do you remember their little Update Warnings applet in the systray? I think they dropped it later in aptosid (don't quite remember) and it is definitely gone in siduction.
the aptosid forums was pure fun. go over and visit today, it doesn't even smell like rotten meat anymore, the whole shit has gone mummy.
..gnutella..

Theo
CLIt Licker

Unread post by Theo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:01 pm

The first computer that I used was an Acorn Electron (1984), which wasn't that populair in the Netherland. It cames with an outstanding manual, so I started with writing my own software ( basic, I was 13 at that time). At school we were using mostly CP/M machine with good old Wordstar (If you don't have a clue what it is, install Joe and start jstar, and CTRL J for help).
After a long road of 8 bit machines, I buyed an Atari ST and Amiga 500. After playing a while with those I buyed the Atari 1040 STE and a few years later the Amiga 1200. I wasn't a pc kind of guy, I didn't like Windows.. But after that Atari didn't make new machines and Commodore was going bankrupt, there was not other choice than buying a pc...
It cames with Windows'95 and I hated it.. Later I upgrade that machine and software... Windows 98. I went back to school (Networkadmin, Novell). During the study I heard something about Linux from other students. So I decided to buy a Linux distro (SUSE), in that time it was a hell of package with a shitload of documentation. It was a relief, it had a shell (the amiga has one too), so it was a bit like homecoming :) I've done some distrohopping and now I'm here and using a Debian Sid distro, because of the adventure of using the latest, smartest, lightest, no-nonsense programs. If I want my computer to play music, than it has to play music and not after a minute scratching my balls and read 'very interesting' stuff about the artist his dog or mother in law.
So Sid told me to use this distro :)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:58 am

sidebar:

^ if you want an even smaller footprint for a wordstar-style editor: install "e3" and run it as "e3ws" :D

Acorn Electron wasn't popular in Germany either (I guess more so in the UK), those days C64 had an estimated 80% market share, a bit later Amstrad cut a slice off. I personally didn't even know anyone who had a ZX. And all manufacturers of these Z80-based computers went bankrupt :) (Well, except Apple of course, and Commodore seems to have woken up as brand name, too)

And yeah, I bought (!!!!!!!!!!!) SuSE too, after it had been acquired by Novell, and it had a fantastic manual and a bunch of installation CDs. The only Linux distro that actually was sold in those electronic supermarkets ;) I remember how it wiped my bootloader and I was in tears because I thought it wiped my hard drive (which it didn't). YasT for the win! Green chameleon for the win! KDE3 for the win! Replaced it with sidux later, then added #! and changed the sources to aptosid, removed the bloat and well, and this became LinuxBBQ.
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:10 am

and there you are ... and where we came from

Work hard; Complain less

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:53 am

A broken hackintosh brought me to Linux. I used Macs since my first computer. But never liked what happened after the PowerPC to Intel swith and specially anything they did after Mac OS X 10.6. I stuck to a 10.6 hackintosh until it broke while moving to a new home three years ago. Got my brother's wimpy PC with windows 7 for a few bucks. In two days I wanted to get rid of W7 and trying something different and less annoying. Wiped out the HD and installed Kubuntu. The switch was kind of natural to me since I was already plenty of FOSS software in the hackintosh, fink stuff, mplayer, Gimp, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc... From Ubuntu I switched to Crunchbang and kept going with Debian.

Sid, because stable shows its age after a year or so from release, plus I like to tinker everything; guitars, amps, computers, tooth brushes...

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:54 pm

dkeg wrote:and there you are ... and where we came from
Nice.

kondor
runs Stable

Unread post by kondor » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:46 am

^^Whoa, Snap. Are you me?

Once I discovered Openbox tiling, I just couldn't go back to OSX. . . Am I supposed to install some sketchy shareware deal to "enhance" the finder? Then watch it get abandoned, be un-fixable -- often at the expense of stability & compatibility? Nah.

So, basically, I came over to Sid for the stability. Stayed for the compatibility. Feels good mang.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:15 am

I was broke, in need of my interwebs fix, and out of blue screens. Red Hat and Mandrake came first, but they both turned commercial, so it was off to Debian. Debian was hard to freaking install and configure- especially on the old used junk that I ran, but it was also more exciting to me because of the challenge it presented. I became a distro junky. I added extra hard drives. I would run five distros one one old laptop with two usb hard drives velcroed to the lid, lols! I am currently running four atm on this same old Dell Latitude.
I love trying out new stuff. I get bored easily. That's why Sid. That's why BBQ Cream.
Thanks, guys! I am currently sonsidering cleaning out the two distros on sda1 and giving the main drive solely to the BBQ!
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:30 am

Suse! I had a 500gb hd strictly for personal (pics, vids,music,music,MUSIC!) I did an install of Suse and it kept wanting to install on THAT drive! I kept going back, going back (just to make sure), I thought I had it licked, clicked to continue the install, and lost everything! And it wouldn't even boot up! I got out the Puppy (MacPup), fixed the boot so I could get to my other OS's, installed #! where Suse was supposed to go, and carried on.
I lost half my moosic, all my pics, and all the OS iso's I had dl'd. Lesson learned,lols.
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.