What's your uname?

Linux and BBQ related polls
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: What's your uname?

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon May 25, 2020 7:36 am

^^ Keep it!

It's true that I got rid of a lot of things when we moved to our new apartment, but I won't lie, I am still regretting being so caught up in the process of "taking only what I really need" and not considering the sentimental value.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon May 25, 2020 1:14 pm

^ I probably will keep it. I am in the process of getting rid of lots of things I don't need or use. Moving is a great time to do this, but I have not moved for 16 years (longest I have ever lived anywhere), so I have accumulated a lot of crap. I try to purge every once in a while, partly because I like the empty space and don't like looking at crap I don't need.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon May 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Code: Select all

Linux gondolin 4.19.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.118-2 (2020-04-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon May 25, 2020 2:16 pm

I got rid of a ton of stuff coming back from France, even though we still had the house - I just wanted a clear up.
Sold (yes sold) a box of ancient computer crap to some family wanting computer bits. I'm not sure if they thought they'd got a bargain or what, they seemed happy that I dropped the price while I was looking through it thinking "this isn't actually worth anything, these poor people" just wires and some IDE drives.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon May 25, 2020 2:17 pm

I am totally with you on that, pidsley.

When we moved here, we agreed on keeping only the essential. Book-wise and music-wise it meant getting rid of tons of stuff. On a smaller scale, clothes underwent the same process. After two years, I can say we did good and we are living with way less stuff than before, even if this place is bigger than the last one and it would be easy to add and add and add...

It eventually comes down to a simple principle: I don't need that much. Sure, if I really (really!) like a record I get the vinyl, and if I like a film I get the Blu-ray and ditch the .mp4 file. But I am living better with less, and using the buy option as a sort of gift to myself once in a while makes me appreciate what I already have.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon May 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Yes. pidsley's fourth law - - "your collection of useless stuff expands to fill the available space" (unless you keep a really close watch on it).

In one of my moves, I discovered boxes in the attic that I had not opened since the last move. I got rid of them without even opening them. The only thing I think I lost was my high school yearbook, and I think looking at that would make me sad or angry or both.

After my first divorce, I gave away all my vinyl (several boxes full of it). I sometimes regret doing that when I can't find a digital version of something I liked, but I can find almost everything somewhere these days, and I hardly ever listen to music anyway. When I do, I am not sophisticated enough to care about the source or the reproduction equipment. I know some of you guys care, but I just don't.

Getting rid of useless crap makes me happy.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon May 25, 2020 10:35 pm

GekkoP wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:36 am
It's true that I got rid of a lot of things when we moved to our new apartment, but I won't lie, I am still regretting being so caught up in the process of "taking only what I really need" and not considering the sentimental value.
The same happened here even though I am very minimalist by nature. The example here would be my tapes collection, yes cassette tapes. Kids nowadays have no idea. I had even one of those cassette decks from the 80s, only for playing cassettes.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Mon May 25, 2020 11:30 pm

^ I am finally getting rid of a box full of cassettes in this latest purge (some of them from the mid to late 1970s). (-:

I didn't have any way to play them in the house (my car still has a cassette player, but I never use it) so about two years ago I bought a cassette deck at a thrift store and copied several of the tapes to mp3. Most of the tapes still played. More music I never listen to, but it takes up a lot less space now ...

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed May 27, 2020 12:29 am

I should have copied them to mp3, too. Damn.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed May 27, 2020 10:29 am

^ Same.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 pm

My dad briefly had a Nakamichi RX-303 tape deck. It did sound good, but the best bit was the 'play the other side button' which pushed it off the rollers and whipped it round like lightning.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed May 27, 2020 11:57 pm

That looks glorious.

Edit: I had a Panasonic Walkman with auto reverse. I have no idea how it worked.

2nd Edit: Found it. Damn. I had it in school.

https://www.hifiengine.com/gallery/imag ... an-8.shtml

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu May 28, 2020 2:43 am

^ I know how this works and I started to write a reply, but it gets really geeky, so I stopped. You can look it up on wikipedia if you are really interested. (-:

The wikipedia article is actually pretty interesting -- apparently there is something of a cassette "revival" (kind of like with vinyl).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_tape

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu May 28, 2020 10:52 pm

^ We love geeky stuff but thanks for the Wikipedia article. I think I suspected how it worked. I know it was a pretty cool Walkman and I am not sure where it ended up.
pidsley wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:43 am
...apparently there is something of a cassette "revival" (kind of like with vinyl).
That is true.

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:50 am

Well, if you have a cassette deck, but no cassettes, you can ploink an earbud on the tape head, and use anything as the input.
eeeh, the netbook was on antix19, I do not remember installing that to it, but it is not a very interesting uname.

I am toying with "cloning" some of the old bbq spins to some new base, we will see what happens there.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Don't ask me why I did this, but I did.

Code: Select all

Linux dellbert 4.14.182-dellbert #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 3 08:39:40 PDT 2020 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

pidsley@dellbert

Uptime: 0d 0h 37m
Shell: /bin/bash
Init: sysvinit+openrc
Disk: 1.9G / 20G
Mem: 15Mi / 2.0Gi
Kernel: Linux 4.14.182-dellbert i686
CPU: Intel Celeron CPU 2.40GHz

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:55 pm

Lovely RAM usage, of course.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:22 pm

It has absolutely nothing extra installed or running on it right now. Well, maybe tmux counts, but that's not really extra for me on a console system. When you build everything from source on a box this slow you ask yourself "do I really need this?" every time you install something. If htop takes 15 minutes to build, top will do fine.

I cheated and built the kernel on my i5 box, but I am starting a kernel build on the Celeron right now, just to see how long it takes.

This is the box where I did all my low-memory experiments; it seems to use less memory doing everything.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:37 pm

OK I lied. It only takes 2-1/2 minutes to build htop on the Celeron, not 15. But it takes 78 minutes to build a kernel (the i5 box does it in seven minutes).

I am really surprised I never cooked this thing running Gentoo and my kernel experiments on it. It runs flat out for hours and never complains. It has no sensors, so I don't know how hot it is getting (probably better that I don't).

(edit) Man I forgot how complicated USE flags can be. I built mpg123, and it runs, but because I did not have the "alsa" USE flag set when I built it, it doesn't make any sound. Sound works fine from things like speaker-test, but mpg123 does not. Rebuilt after setting the USE flag and it works fine now. Likewise mocp will build, but unless you tell it exactly which codecs to use it doesn't work.

I appreciate the fine-grained resolution and optimized system this allows in the build, but getting it right can be a PITA.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:08 am

Nonetheless it is impressive and yes I already thought with that minimal RAM usage it has to have only the essentials installed.