RE:ROADMAP:2016 Releases Discussion

Linux and BBQ related polls
wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: RE:ROADMAP:2016 Releases Discussion

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Well - I do agree, Bacon spins up the X like no other - amazingly sweet.
But then, the master will not leave his students... I hope??
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:53 pm

I can't speak for bacon. but for me there is a little bit of "been there, done that" as far as making new X spins. It's just not as interesting or fun (for me) as it used to be. Plus there was (is) a lot of confusion and questions about which spin a newcomer should install, and which was up-to-date enough to upgrade easily. Creating a couple of current noX base releases periodically is much easier, and easier for newcomers to understand.

There are already instructions for easily adding X to the noX spins, and this encourages people to learn more and customize the spins as they see fit, rather than asking for new spins with just a few changes all the time.

Nothing prevents anyone from grilling up their own X roast and releasing it for everyone. I encourage people to try this -- it is a great way to learn more. In the process, you may see that it's not as simple as you might think, and understand this decision a little better. Or you may find that it is quite simple for you, and become the next X spinmeister.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:55 pm

^ Absolutely.

Starting from no-X and getting to a working X with all the stuff I want is a fantastic learning process.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:50 pm

wasn't there a post somewhere about setting up X, that had all the Magic Tips to keep it light and simple?
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:54 pm

^ archvortex mentioned it in the first post in this thread.

Here is the link again: http://www.linuxbbq.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2232

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:49 pm

^ That was a great how-to! I made a simple script from it that I use to set up my basic desktop on new installs :D
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:02 pm

Thanks for links again, good with a reminder and thanks Chroot + agree with everyhting above. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:38 am

nice, might even prompt me to create a 'work' distro.

linuxbbq
Oyster-Slurper

Unread post by linuxbbq » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:27 am

spacelego, there will be full (light) WM-configrations of all more or less recent releases put on github and a script will enable the user to get from noX to <name of former bbq release> automatically. So, don't worry, you will get the LinuxBBQ spice packaged separately for later use.

With regards to creating (X) spins like a madman, as pidsley mentioned it, creating customized remasters is not much work, but it takes time. It is always hard to exactly fit the needs of all potential users. LinuxBBQ does not need to prove anything anymore to people we don't care about. It's not a joke when we say we are the first distro to cover literally all WMs on a live CD, or the distro with the highest ouput of customized releases in a row (80 spins in 80 days, more or less). We moved from gtk3 to gtk2 to X11 to CLI to noX, and statistically the number of issues has decreased dramatically. Fixing bugs, helping users, writing documentation, all these "added values" don't cost money, but they take time. After 4 years of intensive development we have come to the point where we can say: if $USER can't fix it himself after reading the manual, the documentation, the howtos, the upgrade warnings, the support threads then the $USER should consider stepping back from the grill (slap himself in the face) and pick another of those 300+ distros. That's not because $USER doesn't know shit about Linux -- it's because $USER is a lazy bitch. "The meat tastes bad because I can't hold a fork" still doesn't make sense to me :)
Trailing whitespace? Give me a fucking break, and save me from "experts" and "C-language lawyers."

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:09 pm

Yep, yep, and yep. Totally agree with the sentiments here. Leveraging github with configuration options as a path to X is a great idea.

Work hard; Complain less

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:31 pm

Great post by the dominator.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:39 pm

Most distros get MORE bloated over time, here at the grill they get LESS bloated. There aren't many others that can say this.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Nice epithet that sums it all up from linuxbbq.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:08 am

"if $USER can't fix it himself after reading the manual, the documentation, the howtos, the upgrade warnings, the support threads then the $USER should consider stepping back from the grill (slap himself in the face) and pick another of those 300+ distros. That's not because $USER doesn't know shit about Linux -- it's because $USER is a lazy bitch. "The meat tastes bad because I can't hold a fork" still doesn't make sense to me :)"

I resemble that remark, lols! But there is nothing but truth there. I know I can throw X up from noX because I've done it a dozen times in the last couple of months. I remember trying something like that a few years ago and giving up after the first crash.
I'm even beginning to figure out where enough is enough, and I've started thinning out programs I've depended on for years for lighter programs that work as well or better.
If I had found something like this a decade ago I might actually be writing code at this point, lols!
NoX is the way to go! The learning curve isn't really that steep with all the help that's already there, and it will end up being a goldmine learning experience to anyone willing to step out of their "lazy zone".
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:41 am

^ you really are the bbq poster boy!
"step out of their lazy zone" totally.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:20 pm

^ goddamnit made that same comment about poster boy (different words) in another thread just now before reading this one. indeed he is.

repeating for fuck's sake: great post Jules, and with all that has happened and is happening at the BBQ, the directions taken and the people on board, I can once again say my yearly "thanks to all of you, i love hanging out here" :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:09 am

and with all that has happened and is happening at the BBQ, the directions taken and the people on board, I can once again say my yearly "thanks to all of you, i love hanging out here" :)

Have been trying out a lot of different other distros lately including Austrumi, Devuan - which wouldn't install. Puppy Linux Lucid, Lubuntu as well as Debian Sid with x on this Dell D620 and came back to Greatest Hits with JWM on top proving that 1 the idea of Jessie or Stable based spins is fantastic for x releases as this is running very sweetly with minimal ram usage.As for trying to upgrade Sid with x from Anorexia was disastrous with all the changes Sid has had when putting X on top and I'm done with the Sid upgrade treadmill with X thing. Anyway more than ever I think the BBQ direction going forward is the right one.

The only other Distro I found that is near BBQ for performance was Antix.

I think the thing about BBQ I love best is being able to control what services run and build up from a NOX release and not have a "Update Manager" pop up in my face with available upgrades.:)
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat May 21, 2016 4:02 pm

If the Sid-based release is due (please note the IF - it might happen that I postpone it for a few weeks or months), I will of course test the path from noX to X11 and add the installation guide onto the ISO. If it won't work, I will also let the user know before he downloads it.
Jessie should be no problem, and it will get priority for the next release cycle.
..gnutella..

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Unread post by darry1966 » Sat May 21, 2016 9:38 pm

Thank you for the time and effort you put in and also the quality of your work. It is nice to have a distro which still cares about the old machines like mine when other distros have turned their back on 32bit hardware.
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat May 21, 2016 10:30 pm

Yeah, again I personally would not be where I am without you MB, and the grillers.
Nice name for a band :)