What are you actually running for daily/primary usage?

Linux and BBQ related polls
GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: What are you actually running for daily/primary usage?

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:15 am

^ Working with Clojure and ClojureScript, 8GB is barely enough these days for me... Fortunately, I have 16GB on the XPS.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:13 pm

^ Valid opinion. I never really do any sort of serious work-related stuff on that thinkpad (screen res is the main reason), but if i do or if i am forced to do so, having 16 gigs will be a very welcome addition.
rice no more.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:26 pm

2 out of 8G at the moment, several chrome tabs open and a remmina RDP session running. I obviously don't do enough :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Same here, even with Chrome, using 2 out of 4. :)

Though lately I do some photo editing and it will be noticeable that 4 GB is not quite enough when you have everything open, listen to music and a ton of tabs in Chrome. Then everything is gonna be in the swap.

I am still lazy to upgrade my T400 to 8 GB because it runs like a charm apart from the RAM limitation. A dual core from 8/9 years ago is still powerful enough for my daily tasks.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:47 am

Um I don't use emacs as general editor these days, not anymore. I'm still using it for a lot of stuff like ORG / email / slack / irc and magit. Been moving to VSCode (yes it's MS, electron, heavy on ram, leaky, blahblah) since last 2 months as general editor since it just works.
rice no more.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:00 am

^ Blasphemy.

Kidding. Missus uses VSCode every day (she edits some wordpress/php files for the school website), and VSCode is more than enough for her.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:09 am

^ yes I'm an apostate. ;)
rice no more.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:02 pm

I've been using kitty to replace alacritty as my default terminal emulator. It's blazing fast, but not exactly lightweight.

Also trying a lot of alternative editors out there like kakoune or vis. So far so good, i like them both.
rice no more.

ChefIronBelly
Approved BBQer

Unread post by ChefIronBelly » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Using Alpine as my daily driver on linux so far so good.

Edit:

On the Alpine x64 setup I am running dwm , latest firefox, terminals (stterm), gcc compiler and editors (vim, geany).
I have cmus. mpg123 and pianobar for audio. Videos I just play thru browser. Haven't done any emulation but my confidence is high that there will be a package(qemu) and it will work as advertised. The only issue I am having is waking up from suspend as nothing is waking up network, drives etc but that's on me, need to investigate.

This machine has 4 core 3.0ghz 16mg of ram. I mostly see Alpine being used on older low powered or low ram machines, routers and or running in ram needs. That being said I see no reason not, to run it as a desktop or testing server.
Last edited by ChefIronBelly on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
(1/1) Installing: LinuxBBQ...................................[69%]==============[/]

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:54 pm

^ what are you running? out of interest (minimal wm and...?)
still using xubuntu mutant i3 on the NUC and debian 9 with i3 on the lappy

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:55 am

These days it's Gentoo with fvwm for me. Super minimal. You guys ruined DEs for me, hahaha. Using sylpheed for mail, palemoon for web, various tui shit for other things. Screenshot over there in my scrot zone.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:38 pm

The screen of my T400 died. The laptop still works and I think I can repair it, so not everything is lost. I can connect it to an external monitor.

But it was very cheap to buy another machine as an emergency and I actually like it. It is a Dell Latitude e6320 with 4 GB RAM (again) but a 320 GB HDD and an Intel i5 processor for just 111 Euros. The build quality is of a Soviet tank. But the chocolate keyboard is of course no competition for the old Thinkpads and the trackpoint is a joke.
It has a crack somewhere that is why it was so cheap but apart from that it is a perfect replacement. Though it gets a bit hotter. There is some bad ass CPU throttling going on but still acceptable.
One plus point is the battery. It holds 3 hours fully charged. Not bad for a used machine.

I was in a hurry and installed Debian 9 with the Mate desktop on it. Runs perfectly.

I briefly tried something fancy like Fedora with Gnome Shell. It was horrible. Windows 7 ran better on it, it came with it. Gnome 3 cannot run on an i5 and forget 4 GB of RAM for Gnome!! I still remember when I used Gnome 3 on Debian some years ago on sid with only 2 GB RAM and it was pretty usable. Damn. What happened to Linux?

Now I have a bunch of old machines here in the house. I could do some serious distro hopping or send them to Pidsley. :) I should probably use some new shiny BBQ releases on it. ;)

Though there is one DE that is modern, shiny and whatnot but flies on anything these days. It is Plasma but I just get overwhelmed by it very fast and it still crashes where nobody expects it.

Bones is right. In most cases DEs are like a plague.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Still with my XPS and Ubuntu 18.04, while the home server runs Stretch no-X with no issues like the real men do.

Despite the bloat, the XPS has been proving to be a reliable machine. It's usually active 9/10 hours a day, with the heavy stuff (coding is heavier than Mount Everest these days) happening for the most of them. Docker and Onyx can make the fan fly high, but that was somehow expected. Recently I added SyncThing to sync my Org files with the phone (which runs Orgzly to edit them), so another brick on the bloat wall there.

Honestly I hope to save some money for a cheap desktop at home. A keyboard, a mouse and a monitor are already here, so I just need something to plug them all in. I want my Ratpoison back, which is more than enough for me because at home computing is mostly for web browsing and cinema stuff.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Still running Stretch on the main machine (Athlon X2) and CRUX, Alpine, and Arch on test machines.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:56 pm

ivanovnegro wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:38 pm
Though there is one DE that is modern, shiny and whatnot but flies on anything these days. It is Plasma but I just get overwhelmed by it very fast and it still crashes where nobody expects it.

Bones is right. In most cases DEs are like a plague.
I'm actually surprised how lean Plasma5 is these days. I briefly had it running recently in Gentoo, and on a fresh boot it was only consuming 342MB of RAM. I was shocked. But yeah, I quickly get overwhelmed by it too, saying to myself, "who needs all this shit?" Maybe people like to spend more time tweaking toys, widgets, and GUI interface details than actually getting shit done? I don't know. Yeah, and then all that extra shit and complexity ends in strange behavior and crashes. But then we know all about this here at the grill. :-)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:54 am

Ubuntu 21.10 Gnome for now. At the moment very happy and awesome about it.

Anyone know if the Ubuntu take on Gnome differs much from other distributions?

Edit; thank you iivanovnegro :)
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:42 pm

I think you mean 21.10? And yes, Ubuntu uses its own customizations on top of Gnome. It is not vanilla like e.g. in Fedora.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 am

same here:

Code: Select all

tom@imladris:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 21.10
Release:	21.10
Codename:	impish

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:51 pm

20.04 for me, and I plan to jump onto 22.04 next year.

@vic The only things I add to GNOME are Unite and Refresh Wi-Fi, but whatever Ubuntu did with GNOME it has not ruined my day.

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:33 pm

Went to the dark side in 2022, so far so good, got emacs and a few other things and the battery life is incredible.
The big alienware laptop still runs arch but that needs its kbd fixing and its really starting to show its age.
Attachments
neofetch.png
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol