What are you actually running for daily/primary usage?

Linux and BBQ related polls
bones
Clooney

What are you actually running for daily/primary usage?

Unread post by bones » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:36 am

So, we here at the BBQ have a plethora of options to choose from in terms of releases, but what do you actually use for your daily/primary usage? By this I mean, are you running a built up Boner/Virgin, Bloat, Cameltoe, Coal, Chili, etc.? Or are you running your own Debian Sid custom setup, or something else?

Offer up a brief description of your setup, including your spin, distro, DE, WM, whatever.

For the most part, I'm using Enough, because it suits me best right now, with forays into Cameltoe, getting used to jwm and such. Additionally, feel free to add what you are currently playing with. I'm also using siduction 13.1.0 LXDE, and I have an ever-present Slackware 14 box at work, primarily running Xfce.

hinto
Forums Hottie

Re: What are you actually running for daily/primary usage?

Unread post by hinto » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:51 am

Elitist64 on my laptop (waiting for Coal 64)
SolydX, Unofficial Linux Mint 15 LXDE, LM KDE, #!, on my desktops.
-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:53 am

My main machine (an Athlon X2) runs a sid netinstall and ratpoison. I run the browser in one full screen window and another full screen window with urxvt and tmux. Every once in a while I split the window in half if I need to see two gui apps at once, but I don't run many gui apps so this is rare. I never post scrots from it because they are boring :)

Then I have all kinds of other things on various test machines. I had a machine with Gentoo and CRUX on it, but it recently died. I was getting bored with those anyway. Now I'm playing with a fanless Atom board and an rpi. The rpi has Arch ARM on it right now. The Atom has a sid netinstall and Elektra on it. My P4 test machine has Wheezy, sid, Ubuntu (netinstall), Proof, Void, and Arch on it (today). The Phenom has Coal and Elitist64 on it today. My NFS server runs a Wheezy netinstall.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:36 am

If I need a GUI, of course a BBQ spin: Elitist, and another remix using xmonad. It's by far my favourite tiler.
If not GUI, I have a CLIt on second spot, because/if I want to get things done.
On the netbook also a BBQ, built up from CLIt with xmonad, but I rarely boot into the fucker.

Problem is that I have recently 37 partitions, gets slightly confusing :)

Other distros I follow and test periodically are an Ubuntu mini install based on their development branch, Frugalware on and off (don't really like their new installer which fucks up the boot table) and StartOS (they have their own package manager which I track) I used to follow SolusOS and Crunchbang, but removed them in favour of newer BBQs.
..gnutella..

swftech
Sobe

Unread post by swftech » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:25 am

On my laptop my daily driver is Semplice 4.0 (Openbox) I've lately been really liking Semplice and using it the most, and I also have BBQ Penbang & Linux Mint 15 Xfce on the same lappy.
On my desktop it was BBQ Kielbasa (Xfce), then BBQ Proof (Xfce) and now Darkside (Openbox) booting along side SolydX (Xfce) which points to sid. I also have lately been keeping Penbang on a flash drive for when I'm out and about and want to plug in to someone else's machine. I clearly prefer Xfce and Openbox over any other DE. I'm probably the least of my Q colleagues to get in to configuring tiling window managers etc and being extremely minimal. :)
My Openbox is even considered bloat around these here parts :D

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:52 am

my first main was kielbasa, but I blew that out in favor of bloat32, which is my new main, with pae kernel running i3 and now mainly cwm. I used to run other stuff, proof, cameltoe, but after today, there all gone and have only got the bloat back up and running.

Work hard; Complain less

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:08 am

hinto wrote:Unofficial Linux Mint 15 LXDE
I'm actually pretty fond of the Unofficial Linux Mint LXDE releases. The last one I had running was 13.
Last edited by bones on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:15 am

my wife is running LMDE on her IBM thinkpad.

Work hard; Complain less

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:28 am

Here's a little game of "these are a few of my favorite things," distro-wise:

* LinuxBBQ (duh!)
* Debian
* Slackware
* Gentoo
* Pentoo
* Liberté
* #! (despite the forums silliness)
* siduction
* SystemRescueCD
* RIPLinux
* Sabayon
* Linux Mint Xfce and LXDE

paolo
Head Banger

Unread post by paolo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:41 am

I'm using Antix fluxbox/Trollinger on a Dell Latitude D630, Mint 13 xfce /Trollinger/Antix fluxbox on a Acer 1355LM, and Antix fluxbox on a old Dell Latitude C600
Dell Latitude C640 - CPU P4 2GHz - RAM 1,5 GB - made in 2002 - I'm in the Manjaro-i3 land now :)

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:54 am

Main use is the LXDE spins from here, love them, fits me perfectly, and #!
Sorry guys, no signature for a while, too busy with life. :|

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:11 am

BBQ XFCE64 most days, although its getting a little bloated with a load of stuff.
i have an arch install, once i wrote a systemd unit for the wireless that was fun. but haven't felt the need to boot into it since. It wasn't running any lighter than a nice Boner session.
MATE was a fav, but IW keeps stalling. something gnomeish perhaps.
wheezy netinstall on my server. Planning on running centOS on a server soon, all the tech jobs here seem to love it (redhat anyway) no Debian jobs here so far.
I actually need a wipe the drive, i have a /home partition that i never use. not to mention a bunch of aborted/self borked installs.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

gurtid
Uninstaller

Unread post by gurtid » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:45 am

i'm currently running trollinger on this laptop which is the machine i use most.
The Beaver Destroys Forests

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:16 pm

I run primarily from two different systems. A t43 with a Debian Sid netinstall with cwm, urxvt, tmux, and emacs really being about all that I use other than compilers and little systems tools. The other is a Toshiba Satellite with a Core2 and 6 GB of RAM. The top level partion (from grub) is set up almost identically to the t43, but the last 1/2 of the HDD is sliced up like a loaf of bread. I've got BBQ Proof, Boner, Elecktra, and a few non-Debian setups on there, some systemd, some initd, and I use them to test how things I make work across systems that aren't set up the same. The part that I dislike about using rolling releases to test on is that about once a week I end up logging into each of them for a update/dist-upgrade, and then reboot to make sure nothing broke. It takes a little while.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:17 pm

^ And it also sucks that if you have 3-4 similar releases, you can't simply just sync the newly downloaded .deb files but need to dist-upgrade again and again on each partition.
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:37 pm

i run LinuxBBQ Boner, with added on Openbox/Tint2/Conky... so if you can stop yourself from puking inside your mouth a little, you could now utter the word 'crunchified'
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:48 pm

rhowaldt wrote:Openbox/Tint2/Conky... so if you can stop yourself from puking inside your mouth a little, you could now utter the word 'crunchified'
Nothing wrong with that setup, rhow, one of my favorites. Well, minus the Conky, for me.

bin_bob
Virgin

Unread post by bin_bob » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Still rocking out with BBQ enough on my thinkpad.
It has been wonderful for all my music needs and love lxde.
One of the biggest problems I always have with Linux and music production
Is getting, not only, my audio interfaces to work but my mics inputing correctly through them.

Also i can listen to all my .sid tunes in moc which is a nice bonus. Was never able to figure out how to get moc to play .sid. This is real cool for me because with jack and audacity i can record output of mocp and get an audio file that i can cut up.

Woot!

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:24 pm

On my main laptop I run my customized Sid system from a netinstall from 2011. I try to run it as long as I can. :D Consequences, it still uses ext3. :D At the moment I use LXDE but I hop periodically through WMs and DEs like Xfce, KDE, Gnome, Mate, RazorQt; DWM, Spectrwm (my fav tilers). I do that all on the same system, it is fun! So far, I love Xfce and LXDE the most as DEs. I never played with Openbox just recently with Darkside and liked it but Openbox is not for me.

On an aging laptop I put Coal on it and fucking love it, that is my BBQ, thanks Bacon but sans the conky. :D

Distros I like are some of the Ubuntu spins but not with Unity like Xubuntu, even Lubuntu and Kubuntu (I do not know why but I like their KDE version). Though I won't use them on a production machine because of all the added bloat I do not need but I recommend them to new users.
Slackware is really cool but it is easier to take Salix Core. :) I used Arch some years ago, and why it has something going it is not my cup of tea.
Linux Mint was one of the first distros I tried as a noob but I never came back to it and am not really a fan of it especially not of LMDE. :)

4eyes
Compiler

Unread post by 4eyes » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Using a Bloat based roast for my work machine, and have just completed a mammoth distro install session that finally left me with Semplice on my laptop, and a 'refracta-d' solydxk lxde version ready for deploying on my wife's two laptops (yes, I installed LXDE on Solydxk - see what you bastards have done to me!!!! I used to LOVE Xfce)
Talking bollocks for Wales