What are you actually running for daily/primary usage?

Linux and BBQ related polls
slartie
Grump

Re: What are you actually running for daily/primary usage?

Unread post by slartie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 am

Most of us probably like a lot of what RMS has done or is doing, but let's not forget that he's also a complete douchebag in many respects.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:31 pm

@4eyes, yes - funny is that "Ubuntu without crap" is actually really their mini.iso -- one adds the stuff via tasksel. And it's a snappy base (apt-get is much quicker than in Debian), RAM usage even a tad smaller than with a Debian netinstall. The only problem is the update cycle, if one always wants the newest release, not just LTS.
..gnutella..

4eyes
Compiler

Unread post by 4eyes » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:46 pm

yeah - the update cycle bugs me too - but I can't logically defend why.

Even if there was a nice, stable, rolling release version of Ubuntu, I would probably do fresh installs more often than the old update cycle. Still bugs me though, and the fact that eOS is based on 12.04 bugs me more - although doesn't really impact my work in the slightest.

I would definitely make use of a mini-ubuntu with BBQ tools built in. .... at least until the next 'big thing' got flung on the BBQ :)
Talking bollocks for Wales

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:59 pm

... running colin w/ cwm. At work its Win7 w/ WinSplit Revolution

Work hard; Complain less

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Bacon said that once to me, if it still applies, Ubuntu rolls if you take one of the dev builds, a daily snapshot. It is similar to Sid. How good, I have no idea. Did not try anything Ubuntu in years. But the Ubuntu developers recommend it to users interested in the development of Ubuntu and I heard the Q&A (their marketing) should be as good as in Debian proper and they avoid breakages because they want those builds to be usable most of the time.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:39 pm

@4eyes, would you miss many important updates and packages when you follow LTS? I mean, eOs can push their own upgrades (much like SolusOS did/does it, or LinuxMint) of packages that are 'important' to users, It is absolutely possible (I haven't checked it yet), that eOs has their own repos and nail these higher in priority than 12.04. After all eOs wants to be 'special' as in 'independent', and those maintainers/distros who follow this aim should listen to their users - especially eOs who have/had a huge Donate button on the front page, and who definitely have manpower.
On the other hand, you can also build from source if you need a certain app. And finally, you can always run a Virtualbox or a second distro side by side. I'm quite busy with my own stuff, but I like the 'we do it our own way' mentality of the eOS guys, so if you run their stuff and encounter problems, let them definitely know. Projects grow with fixing.

@david, indeed, it has an experimental touch. Just a few week ago I played with 13.10, when it was still Alpha, and it did what Linux should do: worked :) Of course I didn;t bother to install their desktops on top, just a simple Openbox plus tint2.
..gnutella..

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:59 pm

machinebacon wrote: but I like the 'we do it our own way' mentality of the eOS guys, so if you run their stuff and encounter problems, let them definitely know. Projects grow with fixing.
agreed, I like that very same thing about them. They have a large G+ community (relatively) and are very friendly and responsive.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:03 pm

^ ...if they just had more impact on the GNOME team... would make this a better world ;)
..gnutella..

4eyes
Compiler

Unread post by 4eyes » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:56 pm

would you miss many important updates and packages when you follow LTS?
No - not at all

As I said, I can't really defend it logically - in fact, I have more problems trying to get old stuff running on rolling release distros.

I was using SalineOs for a while cos he added some nice tools (Grub Doctor and SalineOS Backup being two I still rely on quite often) ... and that is still based on Debian 6 (although there is a beta based on Wheezy). In fact, my main PC always has a small SalineOS partition.

Being a sad oldtimer, I guess I just want to hang out with the cool kids :)

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:29 pm

I never really had much of a problem with Ubuntu in terms of product quality, but the Amazon search thing kinda pissed me off. Didn't even mind Unity all that much, although it's not ideal for me, personally. Actually had 12.04 LTS on the T61 for a while, after I first bought it, and performance was pretty good. Brasero never seems to work right in Ubuntu for me, but then, I hate Brasero, so I would use something else anyway.

I do think Ubuntu has made Linux a lot more visible, so I give them kudos for that.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Ubuntu is actually what got me stuck on Linux 4/5 years ago. Before that, I only played with Slackware and Mandriva for a while, always dual-booting with Windows cause I was a total sucker. Then I went nuts with distro-hopping and here I am.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:32 am

Distro hopping -> Flavour hopping -> Desktop hopping -> Window Manager hopping -> Configuration files hopping -> X to tty hopping -> discovery of Emacs as WM/DE/IDE/RSI -> end of journey.
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:13 am

^ lol, that's exactly my journey. :D

4eyes
Compiler

Unread post by 4eyes » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:38 am

If that is what is store for me, I will slow down.... the journey is the enjoyable bit - I'd hate it to 'end' :)

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:09 pm

machinebacon wrote:Distro hopping -> Flavour hopping -> Desktop hopping -> Window Manager hopping -> Configuration files hopping -> X to tty hopping -> discovery of Emacs as WM/DE/IDE/RSI -> end of journey.
You forgot kernel hopping.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:13 pm

^ oh yes, with absolutely useless phrases like "works better when watching movies" or "slight increase in performance" :D
..gnutella..

slartie
Grump

Unread post by slartie » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:34 pm

machinebacon wrote:Distro hopping -> Flavour hopping -> Desktop hopping -> Window Manager hopping -> Configuration files hopping -> X to tty hopping -> discovery of Emacs as WM/DE/IDE/RSI -> end of journey.
"# Let's do the time-warp again."

A lot of people I know have been taking the same journey.

My trek to Emacs has been a little more broken up, but when you finally hit Emacs, there's a whole new journey ahead of you, and it will last you till the end of your days.

mamaw
Riesenpenis

Unread post by mamaw » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:22 am

somehow i miss the blink-blink of compiz, kde and/or gnome shell :(

it all begin from curiousity

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:45 am

^ diamonds are a girl's best friend.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

4eyes
Compiler

Unread post by 4eyes » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:27 pm

I am trying to break my elementaryOS habit - almost there - have XFCE and Plank installed on Semplice, and Absinthe running on the laptop. Soon I will be able to delete the eOS partition and hang out with the cool kids again... whoohoo!