herbstluftwm

Forum rules
Post your scrot in the appropriate section. If the section does not exist yet - open a new thread ;)
dkeg
Configurator

Re: herbstluftwm

Unread post by dkeg » Sun May 24, 2015 12:12 am

rhowaldt wrote: @drew: have you ever noticed in hlwm this thing where you split a frame in two (with me it usually happens on a horizontal split - top/bottom that is) and are then unable to move a window to that empty frame? i've had it happen a couple of times now, still haven't really looked into it but it is curious behavior.
I use it all the time.

Code: Select all

Mod+o 
Mod+u
Then I have key bindings to grow or shrink

Win+h,j,k,l
you know, vim like. You can only grow or shrink on the split, so if you only split horizontally (mod+o), then you can only g/s left or right, and if you only split vertically (mod+u), then you can only g/s up or down.

To undo the split

Mod+r
And to move from one frame to the other

Mod+Shift+h,j,k,l
Note, that my keybindings have been modified from the original.

If ffmpeg didn't get fucked, I'd do a webm. I'll try to revert back to a jessie version to see if that will fix it.

here's the relevant piece of autostart

# frames
hc keybind $Mod-u split vertical 0.4
hc keybind $Mod-o split horizontal 0.4
hc keybind $Mod-e split explode
hc keybind $Mod-s floating toggle
hc keybind $Mod-f fullscreen toggle
hc keybind $Mod-p pseudotile toggle

# resizing
RESIZESTEP=0.01
hc keybind $Win-h resize left +$RESIZESTEP
hc keybind $Win-j resize down +$RESIZESTEP
hc keybind $Win-k resize up +$RESIZESTEP
hc keybind $Win-l resize right +$RESIZESTEP
Don'f forget to add

Win=Mod4
to your file also. Or just use Mod. Whichever. You should also leverage saving and auto-loading you layouts, can specify for each workspace.

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun May 24, 2015 12:20 am

thanks, i have a similar setup indeed. but maybe i wasn't clear: i understand how it works, but sometimes i just cannot move a window to an empty frame. so i'd open a terminal, split the frame with Mod+u, do Mod+down to move to that frame, then do Mod+enter to start another terminal, but the focus line around the frame doesn't change and the terminal opens in frame 1 instead of 2. moving it to 2 with Mod+Shift+down does nothing. really strange.

yeah, auto-loading layouts is going to be my next step of configuration. i already noticed i often use Geany together with a terminal, for example, so will set that up as a layout.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun May 24, 2015 12:25 am

ah, I see. I did misunderstand. That makes sense now. Yes, I do notice that focus does not always follow mouse. Even at times the cursor will remain an 'empty' block, like it does not have focus, but you can type anyway. Sometimes I do need to tap the mousepad or go 'out and back' to get full focus.

It really is amazing that no matter what, there is always that one small thing (or more) that keeps it from being that 'perfect' wm. This focus thing is one of those. Such a minimal issue, but annoying though.

Hopefully after all this typing I actually do understand you this time. And fwiw, I hate the arrow keys and removed them from my config.

Work hard; Complain less

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sun May 24, 2015 8:57 am

^^ I thought Geany had a terminal built it?
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun May 24, 2015 9:42 am

^ It kind of does, yes. Quick and easy to test ones scripts on the go. Debug etc, well depends on what you want to run @Rho.
Cheers
Simon

PS it is always handy to have terminals open so all is good :)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun May 24, 2015 1:26 pm

rhosey needs terminator :D
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun May 24, 2015 1:49 pm

ja i think it does have a terminal built in, but i kinda like just having them separated. also because sometimes i want them above each other, and sometimes side by side, so with a quick Mod+r i can rotate those two easily. (for example a long man-page is easier to read)

@drew: indeed, one of the few things i've come across that bugs me. will see how it goes, will look into it and might hop some more WMs to see what else is there :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Sun May 24, 2015 3:22 pm

@rho That would be awesome ! And I have no idea about grafx2, my apologies. I currently use gbdfed but lately I have been looking at bdfedit.

It's very simple to draw icons, making it fit into the current grid is the tricky part. If you want to modify the current version of siji, then just don't increase the grid size and keep the glyphs centered :)

Just open up the siji.bdf and start tinkering ! :D
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun May 24, 2015 9:22 pm

thanks stark, will have a look!

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun May 24, 2015 9:45 pm

maybe give monster a whirl then. I'm assuming you want a tiler, not a stacker?

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun May 24, 2015 10:11 pm

ja, i've pretty much seen the tiling light :) - will consider monster as the next WM to try, thanks for the suggestion. i find it a nice challenge to try and get my setup to work on a new WM, making tweaks and improvements along the way. so far it advanced my panel from i3bar on i3 to dzen on hlwm to now lemonbar as a more wm-agnostic option.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon May 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Looks fantastic Rhosey.

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:56 pm

Smoothie but I got lazy and switched to herb instead of learning cwm... Not done much to it... this is a eeepc xc101 and I'm just using it for messing about with.

Mpsyt for youtube jukebox stuff and maybe some stuff with Rasberry Pi. The work food doesn't get shown very often anymore.

Thanks for the configs!
Attachments
2015-10-06-220109_1024x600_scrot.png
...oh.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:07 am

Greeat to see another scrot from you dura! Also some very nice colors.

Work hard; Complain less

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:44 am

^^ Very nice scrot dura!
I see you like Aphex Twin too :)

Cheers
simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

dura
Compiler

Unread post by dura » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks chaps! I think the colours are yours dkeg - I haven't touched them. Thanks, they are lovely. Seems like vfu has it's own... I'm quite liking it as a potential alternative to Ranger.

I wasn't actually listening to Aphex Twin but thought it is a nice style for a basic computer setup, the digital/analog transition, the old and the new, which the bbq and Linux emanate a bit perhaps...

Good to be back, running a great stinkin' bbq, and seeing your wonderful work!
...oh.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:27 pm

Yeah nice scrot. what is that your expense sheet in the wallpaper there? :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Nice setup Dura.