dwm

Forum rules
Post your scrot in the appropriate section. If the section does not exist yet - open a new thread ;)
dkeg
Configurator

Re: dwm

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:31 pm

DWM is one that has so far eluded me. Failed miserably the first attempt. I may kick this around tonight or this weekend. Still happy with monster as my main, so should be interesting to see the differences

Work hard; Complain less

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:36 pm

^ dwm is the one that stole me away from i3. :)

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:09 pm

I decided to give DWM a quick spin and have actually quite enjoyed it. Keybinding take a bit getting used to, as they are radically differant to me than those of Awesome, i3, or Openbox.
Attachments
screenFetch-2014-06-17_16-32-50.png
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Nice! Now time to modify the top bar ;)
..gnutella..

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:15 am

machinebacon wrote:Nice! Now time to modify the top bar ;)
Correct! Now... um... is there a wiki article about that somewhere? (I have gotten too stuck in my plebian ways! I have no clue how to begin tweak it!) Is there a config file somewhere (perhaps under the rainbow?)

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:34 am

^ anything you print to the root-window title shows up in the dwm status bar. Adding conky is simple (see the end of this wiki article):

http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Dwm

(you need a simple out-to console conkyrc) like the one in my github: https://github.com/pidsley/windowmangle ... yrc-tilers

other status can be printed with "xsetroot -name"

If you need more help please ask.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:41 am

pidsley wrote:^ anything you print to the root-window title shows up in the dwm status bar. Adding conky is simple (see the end of this wiki article):

http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php?title=Dwm

other status can be printed with "xsetroot -name"
Perfect, thanks! That was exactly what I was looking for!

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:53 am

good one man, I like that!

what's the story behind your sig? You don't have to answer if you don't want.

Work hard; Complain less

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:24 am

dkeg wrote:good one man, I like that!

My sig? It is based on a notation by Jack Handey. I have worked around people in family crisis counseling and it is amazing to observe the stresses pulling apart the fundamental social structure of society. Money, lust, entertainment are all taking their toll on children, whose lives have been proven to be fundamentally inpacted by the stability of the home in which they grew up. According to the Single Parent Success Foundation, a national nonprofit that encourages educational opportunities for single parents:

• 63 percent of suicides nationwide are individuals from single-parent families.
• 75 percent of children in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families.
• More than half of all youths incarcerated in the U.S. lived in one-parent families as a child.

There appears to be a deep problem within these structures, and it has been my goal to identify why they are so unsuccessful. While I am still far from a conclusion, it has been amazing to see what a change there is in the lives of youth (young men especially) when they have a father figure that comes alongside them to mentor and guide them. Heck, he doesn't even seem to have to do that: he just needs to be there! It also doesn't seem to matter what kind of man the father-figure is: skinhead or neckbeard, engineer or mechanic, they all seem to increase the grades and psychology of youth in positive ways. Anywho, off my hobby horse :D

tl;dr in between ricing and recompiling gentoo kernels, take time to have coffee with a youngster. future society will be impacted by you.
Last edited by Dr_Chroot on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:59 am

Dr_Chroot wrote:
dkeg wrote:good one man, I like that!

My sig? It is based on a notation by Jack Handey. I work in family crisis counseling and it is amazing to observe the stresses pulling apart the fundamental social structure of society. Money, lust, entertainment are all taking their toll on children, whose lives have been proven to be fundamentally inpacted by the stability of the home in which they grew up. According to the Single Parent Success Foundation, a national nonprofit that encourages educational opportunities for single parents:

• 63 percent of suicides nationwide are individuals from single-parent families.
• 75 percent of children in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families.
• More than half of all youths incarcerated in the U.S. lived in one-parent families as a child.

There appears to be a deep problem within these structures, and it has been my goal to identify why they are so unsuccessful. While I am still far from a conclusion, it has been amazing to see what a change there is in the lives of youth (young men especially) when they have a father figure that comes alongside them to mentor and guide them. Heck, he doesn't even seem to have to do that: he just needs to be there! It also doesn't seem to matter what kind of man the father-figure is: skinhead or neckbeard, engineer or mechanic, they all seem to increase the grades and psychology of youth in positive ways. Anywho, off my hobby horse :D

tl;dr in between ricing and recompiling gentoo kernels, take time to have coffee with a youngster. future society will be impacted by you.

^ Thank you Dr_Chroot for this post, and ... really welcome to the grill, it's my pleasure to have you around :)

It's true that a *father figure* is often enough, it doesn't have to be the 'genetic' father. This is especially the case with the male teens between 13 and 18, more or less. Can have a huge impact on ones life.

I remember we had a similar post *somewhere on the forums*, a whole thread IIRC, about how "boys are no boys anymore" thanks to the lack of father figure, gotta dig it up... IIRC it was written by DebianJoe. *forums_search on*
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:38 pm

^ indeed, thinking of that thread too. damnit, a while back i saw a video that explained exactly why boys are no longer boys because of (amongst things) the zero-tolerance policy in American schools. in short: boy draws gun, gets arrested instead of allowed to exhibit his boyish behavior. the video was much better though :)

oh nice, found it!

[yt]OFpYj0E-yb4[/yt]
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:40 pm

^^ hihihi, just noticed the double entendre in the 'boy draws gun' sentence... guns can actually be drawn without pencil... :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Agree, great post and kudos to the work you do. I was a latch key kid, and have worked extremely hard over the past several years to overcome any resultant shortcomings. Lack of father figures is bad news. I'm always so retrospective about the actions I take with my kids and what I shouldn't have done and what I should do more.

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:23 am

I think fellow griller Wei would love your color scheme :) this pastel green is really easy on the eyes.
..gnutella..

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:07 am

Ah! Much better... I have had a busy week but in betwixt work and wasting time on freenode/rizon, I was able to tweak dwm much more to my liking. Forgive me, for tis such scrots display my n00b status as a ricer!
Attachments
2014-06-24-040220_1366x768_scrot.png

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:21 am

^ well it looks good to me.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:58 am

That's nice DC, looks good!

Work hard; Complain less

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 pm

^^^ very good, you did it yourself! :)
..gnutella..

Titan
なまいき

Unread post by Titan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:49 pm

dwm on summer 2014 amd64

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a78wk5jsm218y ... _scrot.png

Colours are not to my taste, but i can change that stuff later. Right now im trying to "kill two birds with one stone" by learning to use a sid distro while also building and maintaining some of my favourite packages from source.
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:16 am

Building ncmpcpp from source is bloat :D (The build-deps and libboost stuff has pulled in like 80MB of stuff!)

I like the wallpaper there ;)
..gnutella..