Openbox

Forum rules
Post your scrot in the appropriate section. If the section does not exist yet - open a new thread ;)
Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Re: Openbox

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:48 am

I like it! What is your reddit theme?
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:17 am

^ before we answer any questions that might incriminate us in some sort of unexpected way, i'd like to mimick the look the dog in your avatar gives, and ask, "whoooooo areeeee youuuouou?" > intro-thread please! :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Dr_Chroot wrote:I like it! What is your reddit theme?

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:54 pm

I fell in love with tmux, but also pined for the carnal niceties of iceweasel and libreoffice. As such I found Openbox to be a quick setup and great for running a full screen tmux session on one desktop and having a web browser open on another. Therefore, brace yourselves for a PlebianWM scrot! BTW, thank you kexolino for the fantastic walls!
Attachments
mordor-screenshot.png
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:02 am

^ welcome to the Pussy-club! :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Subsentient
Window Manager

Unread post by Subsentient » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:30 am

Screenshot of my homebrew distro with Openbox. It ships with both XFCE 4 and Openbox by default. Openbox is generally used for really resource starved systems. I have no 'dock', it's all alt+tab etc.
Attachments
SubLinuxOpenbox.png
Bathing in peanut butter is good for the soul. Not the chunky kind though, the chunks get stuck in your crack.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:13 am

^ i think Openbox is mainly popularized by Crunchbang, and that is touted as being 'light on resources'. there are in fact many other options if you really want to build a spin for a resource starved system: take a look at all the BBQ spins, basically :)

also see LinuxBBQ Proof, where it was shown how light XFCE can be, despite all the GUI stuffs.

if you really wanna see shit light on resources, have a forum-search for 'sub 100 club' and feast yr eyes :)

Subsentient
Window Manager

Unread post by Subsentient » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:03 am

rhowaldt wrote:^ i think Openbox is mainly popularized by Crunchbang, and that is touted as being 'light on resources'. there are in fact many other options if you really want to build a spin for a resource starved system: take a look at all the BBQ spins, basically :)

also see LinuxBBQ Proof, where it was shown how light XFCE can be, despite all the GUI stuffs.

if you really wanna see shit light on resources, have a forum-search for 'sub 100 club' and feast yr eyes :)
Oh yes I know it's not the lightest, but it's light enough for my purposes and I personally rather like it.
I am contemplating writing my own small WM with a focus on multitasking, but probably not. I suck at graphical stuff.
Bathing in peanut butter is good for the soul. Not the chunky kind though, the chunks get stuck in your crack.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:55 pm

^ i agree, i am a pussy Openbox user still as well, despite all the awesome scrots i've seen passing by over time from all manner of cool-looking WMs, i still never felt confident enough to leave my trusted environment. plus, i dont really feel like spending the time to do so.

i bet you could find many a WM already in existence that has a better focus on multitasking then Openbox has. i'd suggest having a look through the Wiki articles about a bunch of WMs, and/or the forumposts.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Subsentient wrote: I am contemplating writing my own small WM with a focus on multitasking,
They surely exists my friend. Tilers are there for the mulitasker. Many available. Find one that suits you. We even create a spin to help with that. Or create one. We'll test for you.

Work hard; Complain less

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:43 pm

Often referred to as "the pussy wm," Openbox really needs no introduction:
Attachments
openbox_cream.png

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:34 pm

^ Creamed pussy.

:D

linuxreign
Virgin

Screenies

Unread post by linuxreign » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:34 am

My system running LinuxBBQ live session, everything worked

The system running the actual OS #!

Testing machine running Debian Wheezy with Openbox

Greetings!!

LinuxReign

bones
Clooney

Re: Screenies

Unread post by bones » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:13 am

[MOVED] Looks good, LR. Because we have such a wide range of WMs in use amongst our members, we have broken down our scrots section by WM. Please use the appropriate subsection for future scrots. :)

linuxreign
Virgin

Re: Screenies

Unread post by linuxreign » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:19 am

bones wrote:[MOVED] Looks good, LR. Because we have such a wide range of WMs in use amongst our members, we have broken down our scrots section by WM. Please use the appropriate subsection for future scrots. :)
Will do, thank you for taking the time to explain this to me

Sector11
Sperminator

Unread post by Sector11 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:55 am

OK, with a few helpful hints from machinebacon (rollseyes - a few = mini book) I finally have a BBQ Linux "installed" and running...

VERY VERY basic as I am deep into territory that I know next to nothing about. I dropped the idea of "SidBang" as I thought, if I'm doing this to learn something I'll start with "Summer-64 2014" and add and tweak mt way to what I want. And this is my 3rd attempt to install Summer64 2014 :D

Finally today I got it in place ... WARNING: Boring ... but for me it's a HOT DAMN I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the start of "BBQ-S11"

My sincere thanks to machinebacon.
I am THE resident noob, hands down no discussion. ... and
I wear my soap on a rope.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:50 am

^ Congrats, S11, glad you got it up and running. Now you can customize to your heart's content. :)

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:09 am

Excellent.

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:11 am

Hot damn he did it!

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:33 am

Hot damn he did it :)

Log in a sector11 before you start modifying it, else your root account will be beautiful and the user account stays ugly :D
..gnutella..