i3

Forum rules
Post your scrot in the appropriate section. If the section does not exist yet - open a new thread ;)
rhowaldt
Dog

Re: i3

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:59 am

^^ ja, good point. indeed i merged them. thanks wux :)
^ thatis what i did for terminus, and other x11 fonts work through that method. it is just ttf/xft i have trouble with.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:02 pm

@Drew: just checked the fonts in my config file. currently using Gelly 8 for the i3 interface, Gelly 7 for i3bar. now that the xft-mystery is solved, i will experiment more :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:29 pm

scrot-050315-1622.png
xft-fonts in urxvt are working thanks to my dear knowledgeable friends. the terminal font is Oxygen Mono. might not stick around because the g's are cut off strangely, making them look a bit too close to q's for my comfort. i3 font is Gelly 8, i3bar is Jura Light 8.

titlebars are bloat, so removed them using

Code: Select all

for_window [class="^.*"] border pixel 1
as found here: https://faq.i3wm.org/question/2885/disa ... ompletely/

for those who would like to know how to efficiently use symbols instead of numbers for your workspaces, there is a bit of my i3 config in there that shows how i did it. i just assigned the symbols to variables, and then called that variable in the two different places in the config where those are needed (switch to workspace & move container to workspace). that way, you only have to change your symbols in 1 place.

as you can see i have also made a slight modification to the colorview script, to keep with the bbq's proud heritage of using naughty language. the fanboy's options, of course, would be to change it to 'bbq', but i'm way too childish for that.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:08 pm

It worked, perfect. Another scrot from Rhow with a broad explanation of the config, we are impressed. :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:36 pm

Sexy!
Now if you insist on using geany to edit text files, you'd best look at that gtk theme...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:46 pm

I stand amazed. Very nice, rho! I second wux's wise opinion :)
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:56 pm

thanks! well, i find i just really like Geany, and it isnt extraordinarily bloated, so i'll suppose i will insist. will check out gtk themes! currently working on a custom script for my i3status. anybody know where that forumpost is from *somebody* who queried system-info directly and piped it to a bar? cant find it through damn forum search...

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:00 pm

Rocking setup, rhow. And about Geany: I bet is not even as bloated as my Emacs, so do not worry about it. ;)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Yeah man, I need to use some gtk as well, although sort of coming around to working on not using it.
weechat/mcabber over pidgin. Actually that's the main one.
I think that's why I ended up with a flat colour, a nice transparent term with lots of exciting things in it then a flat gtk lump.

Did you mean Joe's Clinky?
Depends what you want to pull out. seems you're using conky?
you can pull stuff out of the various '/proc/loadavg' files.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:06 pm

thanks, Clinky it was! i already managed to figure most if out myself through Google though, but will check out his script for sure, might be even easier.
oh, not using Conky btw :)

i have now transitioned from i3status to a custom script for displaying the same shit. aside from wanting to display moc-now_playing-shit, the main reason for doing this was because i found no way to change i3status' default delimiter | to something else. i dont like non-customizable shit, so i worked around it by cutting i3status out of the equation (except for its refreshes, that is).

Code: Select all

i get an error when i try to post my code... testing... 
fuck it, pastebinning: http://pastebin.com/7jGHpTKp

as you can see, the $line variable is never called in the echo, because it was made obsolete.

new scrot? sure.
scrot-050315-2003.png
oh yeah, if you're looking for a good place to copy-paste Unicode special characters from, i find this one really nice: http://jrgraphix.net/r/Unicode/2300-23FF

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:20 pm

what isn't working? looks all there to me.
Better than mine.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:59 pm

got an error when trying to post my code through the forum's code-blocks. something in the code apparently didnt jive with the server, threw a General Error. as soon as i removed the code all was fine, which is why i pastebinned it. try doing a post with the code from that pastebin here with code-blocks around it, see if you can replicate? or not, whatever you want Wuxy :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:22 pm

Ahh gotcha, yes it doesn't like posting unicode, or certain ones anyway. I couldn't post the set of cards in the other thread there.
maybe some sort of protection. hangon - checking something.

EDIT: something about mbstring and multibyte settings in PHP. not gonna fiddle :)
needless to say it's a known issue :)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:12 pm

cool, make sense, thanks for looking into it! :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Rhow is on a ricing sprint.

nova
applies for custom title

Unread post by nova » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:19 am

@rhowaldt Very nice setup.
difficile est saturam non scribere. nam quis iniquae
tam patiens urbis, tam ferreus, ut teneat se...

Eren
apt-getter

Unread post by Eren » Sat May 30, 2015 2:43 pm

Very very simple one.

I killed a man 'cause he killed my goat
I put my hands around his throat
He tried to reason with the sky and the clouds
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound

wuxmedia
Grasshopper