i3

Forum rules
Post your scrot in the appropriate section. If the section does not exist yet - open a new thread ;)
stark
MILF

Re: i3

Unread post by stark » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks frank :) dmenu is using Ubuntu Mono.
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:25 am

Very nice stark!
Hanging around here has got you some good skills, and using i3. nice 8)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

stark
MILF

Unread post by stark » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:30 am

^ True that :D and thanks wux
If you can do it go ahead and do it, if you can't do it then don't even criticize it. - gingerdesu

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:40 am

Still wip, can't make up my damn mind about anything with this :D Showing floating windows, cause tiled they're still not looking the way I would want them to look if I knew how I wanted them to look... Oh.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:32 pm

No, that is nice.
For me, I just found my workflow really did not really (mostly) warrent a tiler. Out of what I used, I found herbstluftwm to be the most friendly as far as window configuration, saving layouts (!), and of course useless gaps. Floaters like 2bwm and cwm work quite well for me now.
Maybe you don't need a tiler.

Work hard; Complain less

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Nice one Kex.

kexolino
Common Boob

Unread post by kexolino » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:04 pm

@drew: I don't really use floating windows at all, and I like the way i3 works, it's just that I'm failing to acquire that feel (like you have for example) for making terminal apps look good the way I did OB and tint2 (though they're pretty different things). I change around colors, spacing and fonts and whatnot, but I just can't seem to hit that sweet spot. Thanks though :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:53 pm

looks good to me too, 'cept all that floaty nonsense :p
i3, for me, will never look "amazing" - it just does its job.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Messing about with the Gentoo LiveDVD this chilly Sunday morning. My .Xresources and i3:
Attachments
gentoo_i3.png

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:39 pm

cool. How do you like i3? Nice sig btw. Pretty funny.

Work hard; Complain less

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:48 pm

I like i3 pretty well. The default keybindings are very intuitive. I don't foresee it replacing my spectrwm, but cool, nonetheless.

Actually, I swiped that sig from someone at nixers.net. Definitely funny, and pretty spot on! I'm getting myself amped up to do either a Gentoo or Crux installation. Interesting that they threw i3 onto the LiveDVD that was released back in August, I don't think it was there on the previous one.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:51 am

^ I wouldn't waste my time with gentoo (again) but yours is your decision :D

(Why not -> for the huge amount of time and CPU power you get actually very little benefit of it -- apart from learning how to tweak compiler options -- and you'll spend a lot of time doing something that is just an apt-get/yum/pacman/... away in other distros. For a Slacker it's nothing really exciting and new. You could go funtoo, which at least shaves off a bit of time when updating and serves a bit like a safety net when it comes to updates. But these are just my 0.02 Chinese Yuan)
..gnutella..

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:02 am

^ I am running slackware as my primary distro currently, as well as an installation of gentoo. I love having to compile everything myself. Mainly because it really teaches me how to do so and what is going on, being added, etc... Sometimes it is a hassle yes, but I am planning on compiling my own linux OS so I need the experience. I feel Gentoo and Slackware are perfectly good options for learning such things.
Out of the corner of your eye you spot him... Shia LaBeouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:16 am

Learning such things, yes. Keeping gentoo running for a few years without fucking it up, congratulations :D
..gnutella..

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:22 am

That is true. I just hope to understand the system as fundamentally as that someday.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:21 pm

machinebacon wrote:^ I wouldn't waste my time with gentoo (again) but yours is your decision :D
At the end of the day, I will probably be too lazy to give Gentoo a go, so no worries. :) Funtoo is not a bad idea, or Crux, as I said. And now, I see that I need to buy a new power adapter for the T61 (a new battery wouldn't hurt, either). I don't want to kill the poor thing compiling.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:30 pm

My two euros.
I did learn something cool with Gentoo, as I did learn something cool with Linux From Scratch and CRUX. As long as it is for learning something and pushing me to try my best to make it work, it is fine. At the end of the day, though, I usually find myself going back to my "comfort zone": basically LinuxBBQ Haggis with ratpoison, Emacs and Firefox. Call it laziness, call it "I don't care too much about geeky details on my laptop, I just need the system ready with my tools".

elixir
Weight Watcher

Unread post by elixir » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:30 pm

I would not call that being lazy at all. That makes perfect since and what I actually plan on doing. It is just now I am caught in the learning face. I want to learn all I can and understand it all before I sit down and get comfortable.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:01 am

There's actually not much difference when it comes to Linux systems (from scratch, which means: how are they initially made). LFS shows this is a painfully slow way, gentoo removes the first stage, and most other distros just drop you to the stage where you copy the filesystem to your own filesystem.

The easiest way to build a fully working Linux operating system is to create a chroot and move busybox and kernel to it.

You then just need a compiler and a way to grab source packages. Have fun with this step, it's probably the hardest one ;)

You also may want to play with the different shells, ash, csh, ksh, to see how they differ. Conveniently, you can simply install them on your existing system and test them, and 'exit' them easily again.

I'd also add the different package managers to the list, you might be confronted with a rpm based distro some day, and at least know how to handle stuff there.

Sorry for the off-topic :)
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:19 am

so the new install, hang on is that the same as the other one?
Well I happen to like it :)
Screenshot - 2015-02-11--%_1280x800_scrot.png
have to fiddle with GTK now.