Older BBQ spins

Forum rules
Release announcements are posted here.
For support questions please first consult the BBQ Wiki and then use the Support section..
Get notified about new releases via RSS: http://sourceforge.net/api/file/index/p ... mit/20/rss
ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Older BBQ spins

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:10 pm

The recommended period between ISO birthday and first upgrade should be less than 3 months. Everything else, check the Upgrade Warnings section back, and don't waste your time asking anything else, because we don't know it.

In other words. If you are new to the grill, grab one of the *recent* releases. If you already use older spins, then you can upgrade as usual, always having an eye on upgrade warnings.

Do not bother us with breakages if you try to install a very old BBQ ISO. LinuxBBQ is a DIY distro, we do not support months old upgrade paths.

Check always the release notes before downloading blindly a LinuxBBQ ISO.
Last edited by ivanovnegro on Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: added paragraph

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Older BBQ spins

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:22 pm

"Outdated" releases are stored here: http://linuxbbq.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=34

A little addition for those who still want the old shit :)

After installing and rebooting, run an update of the sources first:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
then, grab yourself the new APT and dpkg

sudo apt-get install --reinstall apt apt-utils dpkg
optionally, add apt-listbugs

sudo apt-get install apt-listbugs
when this is done, you can do a full dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
You might run into smaller problems during the upgrade of the packages. If so, try to resolve with

sudo apt-get install -f
and then, try again

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

APT has a lot of bug reports, so before you bark up the wrong tree when your upgrade fails, check this: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... t=unstable
..gnutella..

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:52 pm

super useful, thanks for writing this.

i always wondered what the fuck the -f option exactly does that suddenly makes errors go away. i mean, if that is the default way of fixing apt errors, why doesn't apt just try that itself first anyway? or is it the exact working of that flag that i do not understand that makes it seem so strange to me? orrr is it just Debian being pro-choice?
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:28 am

IIUC, the -f flag tries an installation of a given package (or the next in the list on installable packages) without checking for dependency, allowing the package manager to proceed even if broken dependencies exist. The man page also mentions that dpkg (or dselect) could be used to remove conflicting package dependencies or to resolve this problem manually (dpkg -r or -i in this case).
..gnutella..