Liferea - GTK2+ rss reader

Forum rules
General talk about software - if the program is not in the repos, please links to the developer's page or github.
Alad
should take a shower

Liferea - GTK2+ rss reader

Unread post by Alad » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:49 am

Yes we have newsbeuter and canto/nrss, but if a CLI newsreader does not perfectly suit your needs, try a GTK2 one.

Warning: Do NOT install liferea from the repos! v1.10 depends on GTK3, amongst other crap like half-assed plugins. Compile v1.8.16 instead:

https://github.com/lwindolf/liferea/rel ... 16.tar.bz2

Instructions are in the README file.
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Re: Liferea - GTK2+ rss reader

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:12 am

This is a good one. I was used to this before moving to newsbeuter.

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:11 pm

Liferea crashes for me when playing embedded videos, related to libcairo2 - apparently compositing may be the cause (compton, in my case).

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=739262
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Silly question: what font do you use in gtk2? Do they work if you pick something like "Sans", too? Just asking because I got the same when using some non-standard fonts in gtk2 apps.
..gnutella..

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:07 pm

I use "Noto Sans", changed it to "Sans" and no font (no xsettingsd) but it crashes after a few seconds; interesting is how both GTK3 and GTK2 appear to suffer from the same bug, and that it (seems to) work with Flash (not HTML5) enabled.