s6 - process supervision (DIY init)

Forum rules
General talk about software - if the program is not in the repos, please links to the developer's page or github.
Alad
should take a shower

s6 - process supervision (DIY init)

Unread post by Alad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm

This is probably the edbrowse of the init world. It's not a "real" init, it does "service supervision" (e.g, see if processes crash). Apparently this is different from "service management". ;)

It uses its own obscure language, execline, and in fact recommends you to write the "actual" init in it. It might however work with sinit or similar.

http://skarnet.org/software/s6/index.html

If you get it working, post a scrot! (only try on test setups, of course). The reward is the 2nd-best-tasting-cookie-in-the-whole-entire-world.
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

fbt
Saltimbocca-Roller

Re: s6 - process supervision (DIY init)

Unread post by fbt » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:16 pm

s6 is not an init nor is it a DYI kit for one. It is a set of tools for process supervision.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 pm

^ sooo... if it indeed recommends you write your own init in it (ha-HA!), doesn't that mean it is more than just tools for process supervision? or am i misunderstanding something here?
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:40 pm

fbt wrote:s6 is not an init nor is it a DYI kit for one. It is a set of tools for process supervision.
I said it's not an init. As to DYI:

http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6/s6-svscan-1.html

And where's the scrot? Don't see one attached to your post.
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28 pm

^ the information in that link is so useful, i linked it on the wiki: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/Init
i finally have the idea i understand init-systems a bit more, and i think Alad is right in what he said, both meaning and phrasing.

still curious to hear whether this further explanation still does not jive with fbt's idea of s6.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Init, not innit.

:D :D

fbt
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by fbt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:50 pm

>It becomes clear now that s6-svscan is perfectly suited to exactly fulfill process 1's role during stage 2.
As is a very simple bash script. Don't read a lot into that.

>if it indeed recommends you write your own init in it (ha-HA!), doesn't that mean it is more than just tools for process supervision?
They are recommending to write your init in execline, and leveraged by their tools. execline is a scripting language.

All of this doesn't directly translate into “s6 is a DYI kit for your init”; otherwise, you would have to call every tool(set) that is suitable for this task a “DYI kit for init”. That's just dumb.
Their site is a DYI howto though.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:13 pm

^ that is true, but i think this comes down to what you read into Alad's first post. you read it as saying 'it is a DIY kit for your init', i read it as 'it is possible to use this to DIY an init'. obviously i am not Alad and thus not sure which he meant, but i dont think it really matters that much.

thanks for explaining, for anyone who might have gotten confused like myself :)

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:22 pm

i dont think it really matters that much.
Yes. Semantics like this remind of a certain other forum. And for the record, I meant the "it is possible to ...".

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Ok, guys , please calm down ;) A few more replies and this will turn into a cat fight!

simon

PS: and not the cat fight that MB wants to see ;)
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:52 am

[yt]yO7neyTNCn4[/yt]
..gnutella..