slackman

Forum rules
General talk about software - if the program is not in the repos, please links to the developer's page or github.
Alad
should take a shower

slackman

Unread post by Alad » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:42 am

I'm unsure to post this here, but Slackware seems fairly popular at the grill so why not.

To handle slackbuilds there's sbopkg. Besides being hugely complex (4775 lines) it doesn't do what I want, i.e fakeroot. Slackware uses DESTDIR=$PKG, but it does this as the real root. I've found no real arguments for this; but this link gave one example in favor of fakeroot: you build as user, and "install" (i.e, move the files to /usr/*) as root.

Anyway, the thing is pretty dumb (but I might add package arrays). Instead of integrating a browser, it expects you to use the website for package information. Do note, as slackbuilds are designed with root in mind, it might do unexpected things. You can always export FAKEROOT=0 before running the script though. fakeroot is available at system/fakeroot.

If you're interested, I'd very much appreciate any experience reports. Thanks. :)

https://github.com/AladW/slackman
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: slackman

Unread post by machinebacon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:22 pm

That is interesting and a good idea, so thank you for sharing. I see if I can find a bit more time for Linuxland again; and I will definitely check this one out.
..gnutella..