Golem wm, the unprivileged?

Forum rules
General talk about software - if the program is not in the repos, please links to the developer's page or github.
rpil

Golem wm, the unprivileged?

Unread post by rpil » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Hello my friends!
I want to thank you for this wonderful job that you do, by introducing to Linux users all these window managers!
But I think that there is a few more window managers that are still in the darkness. One of them is Golem wm, a minimalistic wm, with beautiful themes.
The site: http://golem.sourceforge.net/
At the bottom of the page, there is some of the included themes and a application which converts Window Maker style files to golem themes and a mirror for download it. Also, a taskbar plugin, with a download mirror, too.
Here, http://golem.sourceforge.net/themes.html there are extra themes for downloading.
Download link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/golem/
Some screens:

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Golem wm, the unprivileged?

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:33 pm

Welcome!

Moved it to the correct section. ;)

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:06 pm

Hello and welcome to the grill

There are quite some WMs that are not included in Cream (neurowm, howm, opossum, a whole bunch of aewm forks), partly because they don't build in Sid (all those X11R6 window managers, the required libraries are not available anymore), partly because they didn't make it (on time) into the final release. 2015 might be the year of 100 WMs on one ISO ;)

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.
..gnutella..

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Weird, is it just me or does it look like a mix between jwm and windowmaker? Funky 'remix'.
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

rpil

Unread post by rpil » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Thank you guys, you're all great! I must say that I installed Golem in my Gentoo system and soon (I hope) you'll get a screenshot.
Everything is possible. And some food for thought: Our packagers, here, can take control of the semi-dead wms and recompiled 'em, so new releases will occur! :)
Thanks again, for the warm welcome, friends!
@simgin: Yes, it looks like WindowMaker and there is an application which turns WindowMaker's themes to Golem themes!

rpil

Unread post by rpil » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:33 pm

Well, I had a successful Golem install in my Gentoo machine!!!
Last edited by rpil on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:57 pm

^ Wow, rpil. Fantastic wallpaper choices! Real unique and a step out of the box, for sure. I am really digging Golem over WMaker at the moment :)

I am confused; is Golem originally packaged for FreeBSD? Just asking because of the logo in the corner ;) On that subject, is there a way I could set my USE flags so that it forces Gentoo logos? (I believe I remember watching a MIT student use such a certain flag to change the KDE "branding" into Gentoo.)

Just curious, in case I get a Gentoo install working on my Dell. (It takes much skill and time; both are lacking at this time in my life, hehe.)
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:22 am

Holy crap, rpil you have a unique flavour. +1
Could you please share your second wallpaper, its scary and nice... and very BBQ in flavour.

Cheers mate

simon

PS: Just noticed that your window is a happy cow and there is a cat breed without fur with a dripping paintbrush in it's mouth...Welcome to the BBQ family!

rpil

Unread post by rpil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:14 am

Dr_Chroot wrote:^ Wow, rpil. Fantastic wallpaper choices! Real unique and a step out of the box, for sure. I am really digging Golem over WMaker at the moment :)

I am confused; is Golem originally packaged for FreeBSD? Just asking because of the logo in the corner ;) On that subject, is there a way I could set my USE flags so that it forces Gentoo logos? (I believe I remember watching a MIT student use such a certain flag to change the KDE "branding" into Gentoo.)

Just curious, in case I get a Gentoo install working on my Dell. (It takes much skill and time; both are lacking at this time in my life, hehe.)
Thank you, Dr Chroot!
Last edited by rpil on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpil

Unread post by rpil » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:28 am

simgin wrote:Holy crap, rpil you have a unique flavour. +1
Could you please share your second wallpaper, its scary and nice... and very BBQ in flavour.

Cheers mate

simon

PS: Just noticed that your window is a happy cow and there is a cat breed without fur with a dripping paintbrush in it's mouth...Welcome to the BBQ family!
Thank you, simgin!
Last edited by rpil on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:04 am

Thank you very much Sir, much appreciated :)

Simon

rpil

Unread post by rpil » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:43 am

You're welcome, Simon! :)
Last edited by rpil on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:26 am

|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

rpil

Unread post by rpil » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:58 pm

???

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:57 pm

I guess a more verbose explaining is required.

Feminists took issue with the "I can be a Computer Engineer" book released with our blonde protagonist Barbie asking her 'guy friends' to help her. See, she was designing a game, but was only coming up with design ideas, while the men were the ones who had to help her actually do the coding.

A few female hackers and programmers have not only taken this as an insult, but are now sending in alternative scripts to Mattel as a 'non-offensive' rewrite. I took this as a prime opportunity to help you out with your goal to get Golem WM some much-needed face time. I sent in a full book republish with the story now changed to how Barbie got Golem wm running on Gentoo, and subsequently showing her Linux-using buddies from work how to make it look awesome, since she's all about open-source software and respects that sharing information is key to growth in the FOSS world!!! Barbie is now no longer portrayed as a helpless woman, but as the kind of girl who spends her time at home ricing Gentoo and talking about Unix with her friends.

So, now 'the unprivileged' Golem could potentially be published in an upcoming story about Barbie. Just imagine, rpil, that there could one day be a girl who gets into computer science because rather than being told that "computers are for boys," she now says "I need to learn to computers, so I'll install Gentoo, and then make Golem wm run on it...just like Barbie." You'll be the inspiration for little women everywhere to get into CS.

...and Golem will get the attention that you seem to desire so much.
Thanks BASIC

rpil

Unread post by rpil » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:37 pm

I guess you don't want new members here, comparing me with ...Barbie!
Do you think I try to get your attention to make a further Golem development, because I don't know how to write code? Wow! You surprise me, Debian Joe!
I can't understand you, pal.
Dr. Chroot, Machinebacon and Simgin welcomed me with joy and you came to fill my thread with irony, with all these Barbie shit!
Another guy, locked a simple question I made about 686-pae kernels. Ok, I don't want to disturb you. Sorry.

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:47 pm

rpil wrote:I guess you don't want new members here, comparing me with ...Barbie!
What's wrong with Barbie? I think she's hot. I wish Barbie would join our forum.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:50 pm

No reason to be misogynistic, rpil. Just trying to get the word out about the wm, and thought that you'd appreciate the fact that I had submitted your goal as something a 'real CS Barbie' might be interested in. I guess I fail to see how you would be so offended by this.

That being said, the lady programmers appreciated the way that I presented Barbie. In a serious light, with real interest in computer science. I guess some people are just stuck in their ways.
Thanks BASIC

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:43 pm

If you do not stay on topic here, I will close this thread. ;)

@rpil: The other guy was me and please do *not* fuck with me. "What the fuck is a PAE kernel" is useless discussion, not a real question.

Dr_Chroot
Alfalfa

Unread post by Dr_Chroot » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Back to the subject at hand.... rpil: do you know what sort of memory usage are we looking at with Golem?

I should re-download Cream (I am thinking that someone stole my Cream USB from my puter bag at the library) and test WMaker and AfterStep. I would love to see what we are looking at for those vs Golem. I am assuming that Golem might be lighter on the system than AfterStep, not sure about WMaker(?)

Edit: For clarification.
Fight internet censorship.
EFF | Tor Project | Bitcoin

"There have been times throughout American history where what is right is not the same as what is legal. Sometimes to do the right thing you have to break the law." - Edward Snowden