Tool for setting tiled wallpapers & CDE scavenged tiles.

Forum rules
General talk about software - if the program is not in the repos, please links to the developer's page or github.
a-109-107
Riesenpenis

Tool for setting tiled wallpapers & CDE scavenged tiles.

Unread post by a-109-107 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:34 pm

What
Being a sucker for tiled wallpapers I ventured to the source of Common Desktop Environment to bring you these:

I converted the (x)pm and (x)bm files from CDE's source with ImageMagick's convert to pngs. The source files and png output can be found here: http://u.teknik.io/AbsFLp.gz

However, I wasn't expecting those images to be mostly black and white, so I wrote a simple script that does the following:

- asks to pick an image
- asks if you want it to be inverted
- asks if you want to tint it
- sets as background with hsetroot

The script is available here: http://gist.github.com/97-109-107/c5de7bfe8f83570593a5 - I opted for putting it there because I find revision tracking there more convenient.

Sample result:

Question:
If you compare the file I converted with IM called Toronto with the following screenshot:
You will notice that all the files that IM had generated are inverted (and black and white). My question is - is it probable that the backdrop utility in CDE colors and inverts the bitmaps runtime? If yes, was disk space the cause?

dkeg
Configurator

Re: Tool for setting tiled wallpapers & CDE scavenged tiles.

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:48 pm

Cool there man, thanks for sharing.

Work hard; Complain less

rhowaldt
Dog

Re: Tool for setting tiled wallpapers & CDE scavenged tiles.

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:04 am

very cool!
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.