finit - init system

Forum rules
General talk about software - if the program is not in the repos, please links to the developer's page or github.
machinebacon
Baconator

finit - init system

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:37 am

..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Re: finit - init system

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:24 pm

ruby bootloader? Why not, can use /bin/yes as PID 1 :)
Fascinating init walkthrough though.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:11 pm

nice write-up indeed, like how he doesn't bash back and forth but just proves some points both against sysvinit and systemd.
what i don't get is why he does such a basic, low-level thing as making an init-system, then proceeds to run all manner of bloat on it. perhaps this is for testing purposes, to be sure his init works with all the "modern" stuff? dunno, found it weird: "i program an init from scratch to then run SLiM"
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:22 pm

yeah - he certainly wasn't railing against one or the other, kinda showing how 'easy' it is to knock up an init.
ie run something as pid 1. mount some things, make some files/dirs. couple a sockets and you're off

Although he did take tools from systemd
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:07 pm

I don't think he wanted to run SLiM - he wanted to make a point that even a graphical login is possible, before people start bitching that "yeah this is just like busybox init, and then you get stuck, asshole". He proves that X can be started even via session manager ;) He clearly stated it right at the beginning, /bin/yes would be the proof of concept only, and in order to make people STFU he completed the task. Of course there is no point in running SLiM, and what he lends from systemd (udev) can also be replaced with mdev -- the problem is that most distros don't have it in the repositories, so I guess installing it would be an extra step that he didn't want document because it is not the scope of the project.
Slack's and Arch's (former) initscripts were not much more complicated than this one, so the argument of 'adding bloat on top of a script' is always a bit relative :) The absolutely stripped version is kernel plus busybox: you can try to run that shit and then you'll quickly come back to something more 'bloated' :D
..gnutella..

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:08 pm

Brilliant share Julius, bookmarked it. Very good write up!
Now even my meager brain activity is getting a better picture of it, sweet.

cheerio

simon
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:11 pm

Thanks for the links. Really interesting.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:13 am

thanks for that explanation Jules, this was my inkling as well, simply because it didn't make sense, philosophy-wise. so now it does :)
of course the bloat is all relative - remember who wrote the wiki article on that? :D
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:15 pm

I like the format and conveyance of the article. Might be another snowy weekend experiment. Now that my studying is done, I have some spare time.

Work hard; Complain less