Spacemacs - Emacs? Vim? Why not both?

Forum rules
General talk about software - if the program is not in the repos, please links to the developer's page or github.
jankiel
Saltimbocca-Roller

Spacemacs - Emacs? Vim? Why not both?

Unread post by jankiel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:27 am

http://spacemacs.org/

Yet another nice project to look at free time.. Has anyone from bbq used it already?
It's basically some el scripts to Emacs (the way to install this wonder is to install emacs first, then git clone/wget Spacemacs-bootstrap scripts to ~/emacs.d) to make your emacs installation (even) more awesome; it offers vim and emacs modes. It seems quite interesting, I need to check this out (havent tried yet). I am intermediate vim user, but I also find emacs very promising (had (nearly) completed emacs tutorial, seems fun).
Of course, probably if You are experienced vim/emacs user, You will not find it usable, cause Your editor dotfiles already are the best in the world ;) (at least for You).
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Spacemacs - Emacs? Vim? Why not both?

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:47 am

You won't believe it, but I just made a Spacemacs remix on Tuesday which I am test-driving on different PCs before I upload it.* Personally, I am not a big fan of Spacemacs (95% of the things featured I will never use, and those which I regularly use are not featured lol), but I understand why there's a big following - and they are surely right that emacs plus vim makes a better editor. For me personally, the editing functionality of Emacs is sufficient, and stuff like magit, org-mode or gnus is the actual reason I stay with Emacs.

* for people who don't want to bork their .emacs.d :D
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:00 am

not really an emacs fan. not amazingly a vim fan either.
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Spacemacs is cool. Although I still prefer taking the time to understand a bit of elisp and grow my own configuration.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:27 pm

Spacemacs is good. Those modular configs and uniformed keybindings are nice especially if you don't have the time to carefully modify and build everything from the ground up. Sadly it heavily relied on evil (which i'm not particularly fond of since you could always re-map Ctrl key to Caps Lock), leaving the emacs (holy-mode in their terms) largely unmaintained.

I use spacemacs-base (their "barebone" version) myself, along with a few self-made "layers" ( mu4e, lispy, figlet/toilet, circe, and a few other stolen configs from abo-abo / jwiegley / bbatsov / wasamasa / manu) and a bunch of official layers.
rice no more.