Picom

Forum rules
General talk about software - if the program is not in the repos, please links to the developer's page or github.
ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Picom

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:05 am

Compton still is in the repos and works but there is a new kid on the bloc, picom.
I have to be honest, no option was working for me on Xfce to disable screen tearing. When I try to append similar options like in compton it either has artifacts or I have the very thing I want to avoid, screen tearing in videos. Of course I use Intel so your mileage may vary.

If you are using Arch then you probably should say bye bye to compton because they prefer to ditch unmaintained programs.

You can find it in Testing/Unstable.

https://github.com/yshui/picom
Last edited by ivanovnegro on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

catfood
Bad Advice Dog

Re: Picom

Unread post by catfood » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:06 am

Approx specs for XFCE-tearing-hardware?
14.04 xubuntu, XFCE was the only DE that netbook could actually run, but it felt normal smooth. I also had 5 years of Debian stable xfce on various weak hardware, but no window hopping even when overwhelming it.
I do not know stock compositors for them, but if needed, could look back.

Curious about picom.
Sorry, no experience with compositors yet, but if you need any testing grounds or og package/dependencies lookup for some bullet-proof past xfce versions, I have all old BBQ disks, Debians back to 8.4, and xubuntu 1404 and on. If deb packages purged old info, I hoard physical copies...
Thank You!
(I remember when debian "non-gui" installer scared me. #never-forget)