herbstluftwm

A section for Window Manager configurations. If the WM doesn't exist yet, simply start a new thread.
Forum rules
Configurations, tips, questions and answers related to window managers only.
Alad
should take a shower

herbstluftwm

Unread post by Alad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Haven't played long with this one, but I soon noticed the strange handling of popup-windows. With the default config, they end up as a "pseudo-tile" - basically a tile with a window in the middle.

You can cycle layouts (Mod+space) in one tile, so that the popup is above other windows; but this has a fixed size (to change it, temporarily switch the workspace to floating), and may lose focus (hide behind another window - mod+space to find it again).

An alternative is to make popups "unmanaged" - see dkeg's post, but this has problems of its own (I couldn't type in some dialogs, e.g).

If you don't mind a dirty hack, there's a script that - as I understand it - sends windows to a separate, floating workspace, and then returns them to your current workspace. Just put it in ~/.config/herbstluftwm or wherever, and execute it. Mod+Shift+f makes one window of choice floating, unlike floating mode where all of them float.

https://git.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/ ... d7;hb=HEAD

Some more scripts here:

http://wiki.herbstluftwm.org/scripts
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/He ... wm#Scripts
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

dkeg
Configurator

Re: herbstluftwm

Unread post by dkeg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:53 pm

So are you using it? How is it? With the unmanaged method i noticed that although sometimes the cursor was not visible in the dialog text field, i could still type.

Work hard; Complain less

Alad
should take a shower

Unread post by Alad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:30 pm

It worked fine at first, but after a few restarts I could no longer select my workspaces. :/ Maybe I didn't reference the script correctly (I put " ~/.config/herbstluftwm/floatmon " at the end of autostart). Also, the floating windows are still visible on all workspaces.
It's funny how we used to be able to do real stuff with rudimentary computers, but now we can't. -- ratcheer

dkeg
Configurator

Unread post by dkeg » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 am

I have to ask again, how many dialog popups do you really get? I guess I'm just trying to point out there are no perfect wm's. You just use what feels the best and pick your battles.

Work hard; Complain less

pidsley
Hermit

Unread post by pidsley » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:57 am

dkeg wrote:I guess I'm just trying to point out there are no perfect wm's. You just use what feels the best and pick your battles.
^this. You can find "something" wrong with any wm.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:25 am

Don't use tk/gtk/qt4 applications and there won't be any popups :)
..gnutella..