Electronic sounds thread

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Re: Electronic sounds thread

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:37 pm

GekkoP wrote:Just saying: really, really loving DJ Sprinkles.
Sprinkles is the bomb. World's best tranny, imho.
You should go buy Midtown 120 Blues. One of the finest house albums of the last decade. Better to buy the CD and rip it yourself, since the album was never mastered for vinyl or lossy digital formats. The dynamic range is pretty wide for electronic music. The Mule version is long sold-out (you can probably buy used on discogs), but French label Skylax got the rights to re-issue it earlier this year. If you're feeling cheap, I think the Russians should have lossless rips on their usual torrent networks.

Hard to find his/her stuff on youtube. Watch this interview and you'll hear quite a few excerpts from the album.
[yt]mWbA_1CoGJQ[/yt]

Sprinkles remixing Francis Harris. Youtube quality is sadly shit, as usual;
[yt]McSresvzY8U[/yt]

You'd probably like Francis Harris current album as well. He's not part of Mule Musiq, but definitely cut from the same cloth as Sprinkles, Kuniyuki, etc.;
[yt]KmHKqeL_nyI[/yt]
[yt]xR6pFLpMhAg[/yt]
Last edited by gutterslob on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:49 pm

^ nice philosophies
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:55 pm

^
Living under capitalism, I like learning to feel comfortable with activity that does not result in success, since non-success is the norm. Trying your best and making it is not the norm - it’s propaganda.
-- Terre Thaemlitz (aka DJ.Sprinkles/Kami-Sakunobe)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:04 pm

^ Thank you for so much input. I already have a copy of Midtown 120 Blues (320Kbps though). I plan to buy some of his/her works. I'll go looking for Francis Harris album.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:02 pm

good shit :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:20 pm

[yt]WiVptLQDY-8[/yt]

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:10 am

Some stuff from Exit Records - their Mosaic compilations are pretty darn good.

[yt]f36MYmLXeXY[/yt]

[yt]gjWBeqnwR-w[/yt]

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Free stuff time!!

Resident Advisor podcast from Call Super (who also released this brilliant album recently). Proper mixing, quality selection;
http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast- ... spx?id=435

These guys, Love&Mercy, are associated with ManMakeMusic, a label that's released consistently good records since it's inception. I'm linking their Soundcloud page below. A bit more "commercial" sounding compared to what I usually post, but still quite eclectic. The first two mixes are house (mostly) while the other two are more downtempo-loungy;
https://soundcloud.com/love-and-mercy

This one came out today. I've only just started it myself. Personally think Flügel's a better producer than DJ, but the track selection looks pretty good;
http://www.xlr8r.com/podcast/2014/10/roman-fl-gel

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks, gs.
Listening to Call Super right now. :)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:57 pm

thanks GS! i am currently checking out a new mix by Project Mooncircle, because i quite like a lot of the stuff they release on their label. here's the link: http://www.mixcloud.com/wriggly_scott/f ... -02-10-14/
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:09 pm

^ Cheers chaps.

Rho, do you know any way to download from Mixcloud, like a FF or Chrome plug-in, perhaps? I've (intentionally) not configured my browser to pipe audio to my external DAC/Amp module, so I prefer downloading the actual files if possible.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:31 pm

since i just created my Mixcloud account, i don't. however, i just used my insane Google Fu and did "download mixcloud" and a bunch of links popped up. one of them is bound to work.

for some reason i've recently found myself just favouriting and such online instead of downloading, as i feel "the cloud" will keep my shit there always, whereas i might lose a harddrive at some point... but i suppose when you can't play proper-sounding music from your browser, downloading makes total sense.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:34 pm

btw GS, if you are on Mixcloud, care to connect? i could steal your favourites and such ;)

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:47 pm

^ If you're talking about those pages where you input the Mixcloud page link and get a downloadable mp3 link in exchange, I already tried those and the download always fails midway for large (30min or longer) files. The ones that do work convert to really crappy 192kbps or less that sounds grainy.

For me, I use this player called Audirvana (OSX only) which upsamples files and applies various filters before piping to the DAC. Can't do that from a browser. I do use the Soundcloud mobile app sometimes. Mixcloud's was buggy the last time I tried it so I didn't bother, but that was months ago. Guess now's a good time to re-visit it. Will let you know if/when I set up playlist.
Last edited by gutterslob on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:18 pm

^ okay, i havent tried any of them but this is good to know, saves me some trouble. i thought it a tad weird that you hadnt looked for a download-option yourself, but your explanation explains it :D

i use mostly Bandcamp mobile app, but that is also because Bandcamp is where i purchased most of my music so far, so it is convenient to have that all there.

for anybody who cares to find me on these things, my name is always "rhowaldt", nice and simple :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:53 pm

You can use youtube-dl, we already talked about it, it is in the repos. It can download every shit. Look at the huge sources in the link. Works on Mixcloud and Soundcloud. Just copy the link and run it from your preferred terminal application. ;) Usually it uses the best quality. Read the manpage.
Last edited by ivanovnegro on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link and correction

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:10 pm

^ Sweet!! Much thanks, Ivan. =)
I'd read about it, but always assumed it only worked with youtube.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:29 am

^ same here. thanks for the tip Ivo! great :)

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:59 pm

You know a mix is good when StampTheWax dedicates an entire London Spotlight feature page to it.
Moody electro and tech-house from Sam Russo; http://www.stampthewax.com/londonspotlight (also has interview and tracklist)
Same mix also available on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/russomusic/sam-r ... mp-the-wax

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:22 am

I love this guy so much. I did get to interview him back when I was writing about music, but sadly the web magazine I was writing for wasn't interested in my interview. Whatever. This is what they usually call "library music", and the line between library/electronic/exotica sounds is so thin I can't even seen it. And it is not because I didn't clean my glasses.

[yt]qBXzmuFzYLM[/yt]

[yt]G0m-137dGHc[/yt]

I still have the interview, if any of you is interested in my poor music journalism:
Hi Manuel,

Here are the answers to your questions.

Best regards,

Jb.

1) What inspired you to start The Advisory Circle and what keeps the project alive?
1) The Advisory Circle was inspired by a mixture of things; Library music of all kinds from the '60s, '70s and '80s, strange forgotten television shows and visual art from the period, amongst many other things. The project is kept alive by my obsession with music and sound, seeing where the next path leads in the Ghost Box world. It never ends.

2) Are you involved with other projects at the moment?
2) Having been involved with other people's projects for the last two years, I am concentrating completely on new material for The Advisory Circle.

3) What do you think about today's electronic music scene? Is there something in particular that you would suggest us?
3) It's a good time for music. Current favourites are Seeland and Moon Wiring Club. Seeland mix electronics with '60s psych and very strong pop melodies. Moon Wiring Club mix electronics with various dangerous influences and are very much their own reward.

4) Yesterday we had trip-hop. Today we have dubstep. Can we dare to say that tomorrow we'll have library music?
4) We've had library music now since the beginning of the twentieth century, in various forms. It's omnipresent and doesn't rely on fashion or being the 'next big thing'. It will be around for the forseeable future, at least.

5) Nowadays "vintage" is the big trend in everything, from fashion to music. A lot of bands are drawing on 1980s and 1970s rock, and we see a great come back of the vinyl. Why did you choose electronic music, which seems to be the future, as a means to revive recordings of the past?
5) I've never been interested in trends. I chose primarily electronic music as the basis for The Advisory Circle because it refers to the influences I draw upon, but also because the sounds one can create with electronics can be very expressive. They essentially form a mallable material which can be shaped in various ways. Many other instruments, such as guitars and percussion are used. Found sounds, recorded on a handheld recorder. Toys. Household objects. I like to use all instruments for what they are. The sounds of The Advisory Circle can come from anywhere.
I'm not really reviving the past, more that I'm re-imagining the futures that have yet to materialise. I'm drawing on elements of the past to create a possible future in the parallel world that us Ghost Box artists inhabit.

6) We haven't heard of any live shows from you yet. Are you planning any in the future? If not, why?
6) There won't be any live shows from The Advisory Circle. It doesn't really fit the project aesthetic any more than a dance remix would. Secondly, I'm a studio experimenter, a theorist, a thinker; I'm not interested in displaying a public image on stage, I have the bigger picture to concentrate on.

7) What can we expect from your next release under the name The Advisory Circle?
7) The Second Edition of the long-deleted "Mind How You Go" e.p. will be the next release, followed by an all new mini-album.

8) When will we be able to hear it?
8) "Mind How You Go NOW!" will be available on vinyl & download at the end of 2009 / beginning of 2010. The new mini-album will follow in 2010, both on Ghost Box.