Electronic sounds thread

Titan
なまいき

Re: Electronic sounds thread

Unread post by Titan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:54 pm

after listening to every post so far im not sure this really fits in, even though the artist is classed as electronic, electro house and dubstep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV-HGy_x5Ls
* Be fat, be as fat as you fucking please, just don't sit next to me on an aeroplane.
* "The sun never sets on the British Empire...." "Yeah, well, the sun never sets on my asshole!!"
* I am an "old skool" administrator who has been managing UNIX and Linux systems since the early 80s <-- big fkin lol

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:37 pm

Dubstep is electronic, and really it's in the same family as the early DnB I loved so much...the grit. It (like everything else) has both good and bad examples, but some artists still have some grit to them.

Also: thanks for the oOoOO link. I'm loving them.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:52 am

French Dub band, some nice drum and bass in this track.

[yt]7_K8ZMBDfus[/yt]

Very cool drums.

[yt]qpmZvnupSzc[/yt]

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:13 pm

@titan: genre definitions always get shitty because music progresses. for example that track you posted would not be filed under 'dubstep' for me, because the beats are too fast for it to be dubstep. more like electro bass-house or whatever (cool track though :). i like the genre "Bass Music", which encompasses basically everything from early to new dubstep (Skrillex and such) and all other forms of strange bass-focussed music being made right now.

here's what you get when a musical genius with an insane skill in sound-manipulation tackles a bass-style track:

[yt]mW2M9jz-1Bo[/yt]

here's dark and gritty bass-music for those who enjoy that:

[yt]u5XQjEZtlcY[/yt]

then on to bass-music with a more glistening synths added to great effect (fuck, that groove...):

[yt]yoOFYCAcWOk[/yt]

then even more synths with sick subbass, wonderful anthem to get in the mood for parties etc, by TNGHT (Hudson Mohawke & Lunice):

[yt]3-kjLzAIYAY[/yt]

and to finish off properly with some old friends still doing proper new tracks:

[yt]xMVTKOoy1uk[/yt]

@DJ: glad you like the oOoOO!
@Ivo: great tracks!

love this thread :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:54 pm

Lounge House
[yt]YCluh-E9BGA[/yt]

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks everybody for so much input. Plenty to learn here for my ears.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:01 pm

^ You could return the favour and educate us with more posts in the Exotica thread.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:04 pm

^ yes, I'm gonna. ;)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:32 pm

@GS: that lounge house reminds me a bit of Shpongle:

[yt]6WTxC8wnXQo[/yt]

they say you should listen to this shit on vinyl instead of crappy youtube quality because of the amount of sounds in it and the different ranges etc etc. it really is cool shit, wonderful tripping-music too :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:29 pm

^ I think you're referring to dynamic range - the difference between loud and soft sections in layman terms. It depends on the master, really. Mastering for vinyl and mastering for digital aren't quite the same, since both formats have their limitations, but you can get stuff to sound good on either with the right tools and knowledge.

All that is irrelevant when it comes to the malnourished lossy formats used in Youtube, Spotify, etc, though. You could rip your 180gr LP on a VPI turntable with a Miyajima Labs cartridge connected to a Nagra phonostage and (with a little tweaking in Cubase or Audacity) get the most amazing sounding 24bit/48khz PCM file in WAV/AIFF/FLAC or whatever, but the moment you compress it down for a streaming service codec it'll sound like the same mud kids hear on their Beats headphones.

...and yes, Sphongle is good. Definitely better than Skr*llex. Skr*llex is even worse than that cheesy trance shit you get from Ferry van Buuren or whatever his name is. Seriously, you should ban yourself for even typing the word "Skr*llex". Go slap yourself with some rancid fish now!!
Last edited by gutterslob on Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:34 pm

just realized half the shit i posted above is on my electronic mixtape :D

here's something else for you.

[yt]KmLjVD2VAws[/yt]

used to listen to that shit while stoned, her shit is awesome. when Lou Reed died recently i found out she was actually his wife. cool. makes sense :)

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:37 pm

^ Yup, defitely stoner/shoegaze electronica. Interesting stuff.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:34 pm

@GS: ha, completely missed your previous post!

i honestly don't think Skr*llex is that bad. the main reason i dislike this kinda music is not musical but "ideological", in the sense that i hate the fact that this guy takes a whole bunch of tricks that have been performed by others long before (and often much better), but now all of a sudden everybody and their sister are going 'whooaa this music rules!'. i had the same response when i heard some glitch-effects in that Gaga/Beyonce (i think?) tune "Telephone" - what the fuck man, glitch music has been around for so long but it takes some pop-artist to get people to pay attention to it and enjoy it. to me it is just a sad testament to the dismal state of humanity, where something as wonderful and magical as music cannot be appreciated in a pure way by many people. i find that a bit of a shame, really, and that is where my feeling of unease with this kinda thing comes from. but hey, the kid is making millions, so fucking good on him i say!

btw, the DJ you are referring to is Armin van Buuren, and/or Ferry Corsten. The former did a lot of awful remix-shit, i think even a Pink Floyd song that he added a simple beat and some atmospherics to, thereby ravaging its asshole in a very offensive manner. i assume you mean him :)

now, recently i have made a discovery. i actually like some pop songs. a part of me wishes i didnt like them, because i want to hate them and feel all elitist and shit about it, but honestly i can't be fucked to keep that up. so, let me just come out and say that despite all the ideological objections i might have, i think this song is pretty damn good:

[yt]BR_DFMUzX4E[/yt]

...but it is interesting to see that a certain "trick" applied in popmusic is quickly copied because of its succesrate. i dont know which one of these guys was first, but i actually think the following is a better execution of the same trick:

[yt]IcrbM1l_BoI[/yt]

in the end it comes down to this: fuck it, that song just feels good.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:58 pm

some noisier shit for those who enjoy that.

Tim Exile, a real "music hacker" or whatever, programming his own patches and making his own instruments, and making pretty insane shit:

[yt]IEtloyKQLwE[/yt]

Scotch Egg, some weird Japanese dude making noisyass chiptunes on his gameboys. saw him perform live, he's insane. his casio keyboard didnt work so he just stood there in the middle of summer wearing his Christmas hat and singing a Christmas tune.

[yt]yRCdalqoa50[/yt]

here's the same track live on Lowlands, the show i saw.

[yt]EUZZIETFueY[/yt]

Bogdan Raczynski is a Polish dude making weird tunes, often with lotsa breaks. he released an album called "dnb classixxx" that pretended to be a compilation album but they are all his tunes:

[yt]5pe8tgoVdg4[/yt]

and here in overdrive with great video (he's on the right):
[yt]lFBu5Z-UovQ[/yt]

but he also has shit that is a bit more chilled out. this is from Samurai Math Beats:

[yt]aCgdAWq8FQs[/yt]

then there's Electromecca who can do some pretty sweet shit:

[yt]rvhXeZ_wAcI[/yt]

and Electric Kettle, who is also pretty nice :)

[yt]PU14kgsqDIY[/yt]

now i should obviously be mentioning Venetian Snares here, but i will do a separate post on him someday.
the other obvious ommission is Aphex Twin, but i am ashamed to say i don't feel i know his music well enough to do a proper overview. if somebody else here feels he is more knowledgeable about his shit, i would greatly appreciate a proper introduction (and really, that's worth everybody's while i think).

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:03 pm

Really love this one:

[yt]tOnkcsJjUDw[/yt]

Now Quantic is doing more cumbia than electro, but back in his electro days he got me.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:25 pm

I found this review on Resident Advisor earlier today. Now, RA is seldom the barometer of quality they think they are (they're like the Pitchfork for electronic music... highly predictable), but what stood out was the label, Endless Flight. For those who don't know, Endless is a sub-label of Mule Musiq, imho one of the most consistent labels in terms of quality. That particular mix has all the right names - Mixing/Selection by Prins Thomas, Mastering by Kuniyuki Takahashi, Released on Endless Flight, based on events at the famous Rainbow Disco Club - the mutt's nutz, basically.

Anyways, I tracked down the mix; http://rainbowdiscoclub.bandcamp.com/ ... As expected, it's quite good, though pricey.
More importantly, with regards to relevance on this thread, I stumbled onto Rainbow Disco's Soundcloud page; https://soundcloud.com/rainbowdiscoclub

TL;DR - Just click the last link for free shit.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:18 pm

^ That link at Mule Musiq discogs page actually gave me the title of the album in your avatar.
Now listening to it. :)

Also, rho: great stuff up there.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:22 pm

thanks Gekko, and thanks Gutterslob and everyone for posting cool shit!
will do some more posts soon, cover some different ground :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Just saying: really, really loving DJ Sprinkles.

vic
Godot

Unread post by vic » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:17 am

[yt]ALAkF14LLsQ[/yt]