Jazz

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Jazz

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Of course there must be a thread jazz in here.

Let's start with one of my favorite Italian jazzmen.

[yt]TiT1BsbJl9U[/yt]

Can't imagine what he would be sounding like now if he was still alive, but Urbani was an explorer of jazz tradition and incredible avid player. He easily moved between Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Albert Ayler and many others, literally digesting their styles with is saxophone.

machinebacon
Baconator

Re: Jazz

Unread post by machinebacon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Very good share, thank you. He has an excellent band behind him.

Serves as soundtrack to the new release :D
..gnutella..

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 pm

^ yeah, glad you like it.

[yt]m6p5W_IROs4[/yt]

Here's a jam session with Jack DeJohnette and John Surman.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:44 pm

Before posting, I want to suggest that anyone who posts anything even remotely related to Arne Domnerus - Jazz at the Pawnshop get banned for life!!

Now that ranted, here's some E.S.T to cool off.
[yt]__CgYU8eNoM[/yt]

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 pm

i've always loved this track by Horace Silver, In Pursuit of the 27th Man:

[yt]-NMNHBy9NYE[/yt]
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Great, finally. :)

Let me find something unusual.

Latin Jazz. Izaline Calister, she seems to be Dutch, of course with Caribbean roots.

[yt]SVQusDAy6K8[/yt]

[yt]FiKCcG5DhQk[/yt]

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:01 pm

^ cool, never heard of her :)

there is another interesting Dutch jazz connection between us David, and that is through the Rosenberg Trio, gypsy jazz.

[yt]uquEYJHIU2A[/yt]
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:46 pm

^ Of course, of course!

Jazz fusion from Belgrade.

[yt]IHNGyqx-8yA[/yt]

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:56 pm

This guy ain't exactly a jazz producer. His stuff is all over the place with regards to genre. This tune is definitely jazz though.

[yt]mIIip45DeQU[/yt]

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:03 pm

^ listening to it right now. Great work.

As for me, I'm going with yet another classic you all may be already used to. I love this record, such a part of me. It took me a lot to appreciate this kind of jazz, and another while to love it as I do now. But it was worth the effort, because through Ayler I could approach the late Coltrane and Anthony Braxton with more confidence.

[yt]xWsIG5sNq1Q[/yt]

30 minutes of freedom and spirituality I always come back to.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:39 pm

^ cool shit Gekko, it reminds me a bit of some of Sun Ra's shit. my GF is really into him and i've grown to really like his stuff as well. one example:

[yt]MUtxy6ddiHc[/yt]

and if we're going there it is probably fair to play some Moondog as well, even though i'm not even sure whether that counts as jazz or something else entirely, here it is:

[yt]aK0yv9ME-h8[/yt]

for those not in the know:
Sun Ra (born Herman Poole Blount, legal name Le Sony'r Ra;[1] May 22, 1914 – May 30, 1993) was a prolific jazz composer, bandleader, piano and synthesizer player, poet and philosopher known for his "cosmic philosophy," musical compositions and performances. He was born in Birmingham, Alabama. He is a 1979 inductee of the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame.

Controversial[2] because of his eclectic music and unorthodox lifestyle, and claiming that he was of the "Angel Race," and not from Earth but from Saturn, Sun Ra developed a complex persona, using "cosmic" philosophies and lyrical poetry that made him a pioneer of afrofuturism. He preached awareness and peace above all. He abandoned his birth name and took on the name and persona of Sun Ra (Ra being the Egyptian God of the Sun), and used several other names throughout his career, including Le Sonra and Sonny Lee.[3] Sun Ra denied any connection with his birth name, saying "That's an imaginary person, never existed … Any name that I use other than Ra is a pseudonym."
Moondog, born Louis Thomas Hardin (May 26, 1916 – September 8, 1999), was a blind American composer, musician, poet and inventor of several musical instruments. In New York from the late 1940s until he left in 1972, he could often be found on 6th Avenue between 52nd and 55th Street wearing a cloak and Viking-style helmet, sometimes busking or selling music, but often just standing silent and still. He was widely recognized as "the Viking of 6th Avenue" by thousands of passersby and residents who had no idea that this seemingly homeless eccentric standing on "Moondog's corner" was a respected and recorded composer and musician.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:54 pm

Sun Ra is a complex beast, but that's a good entry point.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:47 am

I think Moondog should be in the "epic beards" thread 8)
don't pretend to know anything about Jazz, but this is my fav style and performer:
Herbie Hancock - Rock your soul.
[yt]FmCC-acG8e4[/yt]
(sorry bout the intro)
These tracks are also supposed to be the extra sessions from the film soundtrack 'blow up'
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:01 am

^ Hancock is a very great jazzman, able to greatly perform with masters and do awesome stuff of his own. Take the soundtrack of ROUND MIDNIGHT (a must-see for any music lover), for instance.

[yt]w4nVDKeVxok[/yt]

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:22 pm

i think Hancock was also one of the first making the jump to synths, and doing electronic shit. correct me if i'm wrong though, most of my knowledge of jazz is old shit, barbershop quartets and such :) (will post some cool shit later)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Yeah, I was going to see if i could post a Herbie track in everyone of the main threads 8)
Electronic Jazz:
[yt]FtX2kQYlAOk[/yt]
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:57 pm

rhowaldt wrote:i think Hancock was also one of the first making the jump to synths, and doing electronic shit. correct me if i'm wrong though, most of my knowledge of jazz is old shit, barbershop quartets and such :) (will post some cool shit later)
Technically, Bob Moog performed live (alongside his friend Richard Teitelbaum) with his famous Moog Madular Synth in the mid-60's. As far as records go, I think Bobby Byrne's Shades of Brass was released sometime around 1968, back when Herbie was still playing piano for Miles Davis and the Blue Note people.

Not exactly a starring role, but you can definitely hear the Moog here.
[yt]OcUF8dyt1dQ[/yt]

Some German and Italian jazz artists were said to have used their own DIY synths even before that. I guess it all depends on what you'd consider jazz - the actual definition of jazz is "playing whatever the hell you want" - so we really won't know who started what. Herbie Hancock definitely embraced the electronic side of things like few others before him, no doubt.
Last edited by gutterslob on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:00 pm

GekkoP wrote:^ Hancock is a very great jazzman, able to greatly perform with masters and do awesome stuff of his own. Take the soundtrack of ROUND MIDNIGHT (a must-see for any music lover), for instance.
+1. Great film and great soundtrack.

Also this;
[yt]KprzOMXAuqY[/yt]

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:44 pm

^ that.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Something smooth and Brazilian though the performer is Argentinian.

[yt]mu0rn92nO1Q[/yt]

One of the most famous flutists and saxophonists.

[yt]qY_yD5VV3zA[/yt]