pidsley
Hermit

Re: Jazz

Unread post by pidsley » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:04 am

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:55 am

I think any other bass player would have told jeff beck to get lost... "quit fingering my frets, Jeff. I'm only a little girl."
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:40 am

About Joni Mitchell: I love that record, and I also love her Mingus though it is not as good as Hejira.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu May 07, 2015 10:10 am

Another great Italian saxophonist, often overlooked: Larry Nocella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWnUj4Q44P0 (with Dennie Richmond)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAC5I5YNXzA (with Tullio De Piscopo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AlaXtk0iY0 (again with Tullio De Piscopo)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue May 12, 2015 5:32 pm

^ The full record Everything Happens To Me is here: http://jazzfromitaly.blogspot.it/2015/0 ... thing.html
(with an awesome interview)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri May 15, 2015 7:46 pm

this is insanely good.
Mehlania (Brad Mehldau & someone) - Taming the Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQy4-KE8lQU
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:54 pm

I dedicate this to our fellow griller Ivanovnegro, get well soon brother :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlIjiiyXbxw
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:40 pm

^ Nice. Never heard it before I think.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:46 pm

Ornette Coleman dies at 85: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/ar ... .html?_r=0

A legend. Today we lack true musicians like this man.

hinto
Forums Hottie

Unread post by hinto » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Who cudda thunk that Thelonious Monk was an eastern NC BBQ fan? ;)
-Hinto
"A human being should be able to... butcher a hog..." -Robert Heinlein

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:27 pm

if, like me, you really like old jazz or "hot jazz" (so the early beginnings), you might've found that shit is pretty hard to find. do yourself a favor: http://www.redhotjazz.com/

this is a relatively old site i think, hence why every file is in RealAudio (.ra) format. however, moc plays that shit fine and it isn't that hard to write a MP3-converter oneliner if you want. as for getting the files:

Code: Select all

wget -r -A.ra http://www.redhotjazz.com/
a word of warning: it is a lot.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:12 pm

WOW!
Thank you.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:04 pm

no problem! glad somebody other than myself appreciates it :)

P.S. been downloading this fucker for about 3 hours now. fuck me it is a lot. don't even wanna think about converting to mp3 and renaming this whole thing later, which i will inevitably do, because in true crappy-old-website-style, the directory- and filenames are complete and utter shit. oh well...

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:12 pm

^ Hope it'll end before I leave the office...

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:10 pm

i know, i would've gone to bed about 2 hours ago and have been waiting for it to finish instead. still working. damn, but this is a fucking goldmine, and if i have to leave my laptop running all night i will harvest all the damn gold. the upshot is that i needed to keep myself busy so been doing some font-related stuff again on my system, plus some reading and some writing. but now i am out of cigarettes and almost out of energy, plus my ass is starting to hurt from sitting down and my wrist from sitting at a crappy table, so i think i will have no choice but to leave it running all night. can't be bothered to figure out a way to determine exactly how much of it is still left; quite amazed it is still going.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:27 am

Code: Select all

FINISHED --2015-08-25 07:22:11--
Total wall clock time: 11h 54m 8s
Downloaded: 11059 files, 3.2G in 10h 46m 8s (86.2 KB/s)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:55 pm

^ Yeah, I stopped the download on my laptop and left the media server at home taking care of it. ;)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:57 pm

i've been at it all day organizing everything. the only way of doing it is manually, and the only reference is that website. that is actually quite a nice way of doing it: read about the artists, then rename the files based on the filelists on the website, and organize as you see fit. i have a shitload of new music, plus i learn a lot about the backgrounds and all manner of different artists, people they say about, "this dude was one of the most famous artists", "this guy was super influential in ...", etc, all people i've never heard of. awesome. i am enjoying myself, even though my fingers hurt from typing filenames :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:27 pm

What a gold mine Rhow. Fantastic. Thanks. Will dig into it.
Actually all the work you have done is one of my hobbies. :)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:20 am

ivo, it is one of my hobbies too, but i can tell you the hobby becomes a bit more tedious when you have to wade through 3 gigs of stuff. my fingers are wishing for a more ergonomic keyboard than the one on my laptop, and i have started to support my elbows by soft spots (folded towels and such) to stop them from being busted up from all the fucking typing. i wish there was a faster way, but there is none i can think of, short of shit like "retrieve all the links on the site through the html, trace back the names, automatically rename all the files", which, well, fuck that :D

one thing of note to all who venture in here: a bunch of files on there do not exist, give a 404 error. this means that the collection would've been even bigger than this, many hundreds of tracks missing. it makes me simultaneously pine for those missing songs, while at the same time i am happy i dont have to handle even more files :)

am currently, by my hopeful guesstimates, about halfway through.

all this might sound very negative, but in spite of the "hardships", the music is fucking fantastic, and reading about it is great as well. so am still enjoying it massively.