Your music equipment

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Your music equipment

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:49 pm

My newest acquisition. Today I connected the missing pieces. Everything made in *West*-Germany. :D Except the cheap CD player.
Of course now I have to shop for vinyls too.

If you have something worth to share, this is the place.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I got everything for free because the amplifier was dead. But I just had to change the resistor for 15 euros and it hums perfectly.
Attachments
20151005_204128.jpg
710528868_64797.jpg
20151005_204100.jpg
20150806_113246.jpg

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Re: Your music equipment

Unread post by darry1966 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:37 am

I see your amp is a Scott. Can't make out the rest of it??? Nice stuff Ivan.
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:18 am

^ record player amp combo is a Dual not sure about the speakers.

Oh dear Ivan you've opened the floodgates on this one:
I've got a yammy AV all in one for the TV (optical in) from the HDMI from the tele. Which plays stuff from XBMC - Quite nice sound, got it for ten quid at a car boot sale

I haven't got space for a dedicated hi-fi system yet. will probably feature my step bro's 'borrowed' B+W 601's (I had a pair but was.. well, cannibalised for bits) some Amp, whatever I can find. probably have a raspberry and HDD for playback.
In France, I've still got a Marantz PM66 but it's broken hopefully needs a resistor like Ivan found, had the marantz CD player to go with it, but don't really have any CD's anymore.
A giveaway NAD, a pair of giant Pioneer speakers, pair of giveaway Mordant short MS 816's
Of course the Technics 1210's and a Vestax PMC-05 pro2 for vinyl abuse.

My dad, is a massive audiophile and has valve amps and ESL 63's all over the place and some crazy custom made (by him) turntable.
example: he recorded his vinyl onto his ipod as AAC's or whatever - then he pipes that out of the ipod via some iDAC thing to a DAC headphones amp then on headphones... (not Stax ones though - he's crazy but not that crazy rich)

hmm, that reminds me -your turn gutterslob :)
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:01 pm

Cool stuff Wux.

Yes, the record player is a Dual. Really, no idea from where the stuff is but on the back I read Germany. It is old, probably from the 80s. The speakers are Hilton.

Now I just saw. Dual is a German company, closed in 1982. The thing could be even older. They did not say anything. They wanted to throw everything away but I said, no way, I take it. They thought the amp had a short-circuit. I had to open the damn thing. Now everything works, idiots. :) OK, the little red lamp is not blinking.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:12 pm

lights not on = not working
classic.

My father in law has a Dual something auto player.
Oh yes, I have a Harmon/Kardon work-from-home sound system i pilfered from half-bro, I did have to solder some wires and super glue the cases back together :)

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:14 pm

If this thread was started 2 years ago, I'd have a lot to show - turntable, studio monitors, audio interfaces, tubes, etc. My lifestyle right now, combined with this growing aversion I have for even the smallest bit of clutter, simply can't handle "desktop" class audio anymore, so I've basically got nothing. All this downsizing did eventually lead me to custom in-ear monitors though, and I don't think I can go back to anything else right now.

Sorry for crappy picture. Not much light about;
portable_rig_01.png
On top is the infamous Altmann Tera Player, piping to a Vorzuge VorzAmp Duo below. Interconnect cable is handmade (no snake-oil aftermarket cable brands for me, friends). End result is fed into another one of my customs - Spiral Ears SE5.
Last edited by gutterslob on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:18 pm

^ Call me crazy, but I love everything in that picture and feel like nothing can beat it.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:20 am

^^ you would definitely get on with my dad.
That looks a bit like his 'bomb' although slightly nicer and blacker :)
and after googling all that Vogon stuff - probably cost as much as a bomb :D

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:33 pm

GekkoP wrote:^ Call me crazy....
That's actually pretty sane. Something like this would make you a nutter though.

wuxmedia wrote:^^ you would definitely get on with my dad.
You think? =P

wuxmedia wrote:That looks a bit like his 'bomb' although slightly nicer and blacker :)
and after googling all that Vogon stuff - probably cost as much as a bomb :D
Fwiw, the prices you see on the Tera Player website are a troll. It's sold out. From what I've heard, the creator put up those crazy prices for those who kept emailing him to make more. It was originally about €1K, but I got mine used for less than a third of that. Frankly, that thing's a PITA. You need to convert all your music to .wav, it'll buzz like hell if your phone is placed next to it in a bag, and worst of all the output stage hisses terribly with sensitive headphones so you really need low noise floor "wire-with-gain" type amp as a go-between. But there's something about the way it sounds - it flatters even the most badly recorded low bitrate tracks yet scales up beautifully with quality masters, and never sounds fatiguing like most modern sigma-delta DAC designs - that I can't stop loving.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:36 pm

^ Ok, yes, tube headphone amplifier is nuts.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:31 pm

^^ those your tubes/valves? yeah father would be happy. might even post a pic of his 'workshop' if i get the chance.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Wow Gutterslob.

simgin
Meme Fodder

Unread post by simgin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:45 pm

Wow, nice stuff Gutter. I see why the airports get nervous when you enter :P
Someone told me that I am delusional, I almost fell off my unicorn.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:28 pm

My stuff is all back in Germany, in boxes and cartons, somewhere in my dad's cellar and in the rehearsal room of my previous band.

Fostex 812, a 12 channel mixer, where the channels could be sent to 8 groups and then directly injected to the Fostex R8. We used these to cut demos and live recordings, back in the end-1990s, on Ampex 457 tapes. Yeah, the R8 was an 8-track recorder for 1/4" tapes, and you can image how muddy the quality was.

We used a Korg A3 for effects and compression, mostly because we really had no idea what we were doing and had no money for extras. I worked in a musical instrument shop when I was around 14 to 16 on weekends, so I could get used equipment easily and for a very good price, like this vocoder...

The home audio was a bunch of Technics parts, the amp apparently is the SU-VZ220 (not "New Class") (I had to google it because I never really checked the serial number), the double-tape deck is maybe a Technics RS-TR210 with two or three different Dolby modes. Turntables I had a few, one was a Dual, no idea what series, this was a good one. Speakers are Dual (they came with a hifi tower, so no idea what exactly they are) and a pair of old Telefunken.

Microphones were Shure SM58 all the way (I think they were the mics everyone used all the time), and Sennheiser for vocals (I really don't remember the model number). Headphones I loved the Sennheiser HD400 because they could be worn comfortably for hours. Here in China I go with Philips.

Sorry for the blah :D
..gnutella..

Snap
Sperminator

Unread post by Snap » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Somewhat like gutterslob, until three years ago i had a dirty amount of cool gear, but got rid of it. Now it's all coming from my computer.

RME HDSP9652 soundcard (actually overkill, since I only use the S/PDIF outputs now)
Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro mixer (that craps out the sound just to have a headphones output, sigh!)
dbx Quantum II (just as a DA converter)
Adcom GFA-535 amplifier
Tannoy PBM-6.5 speakers

Some day I'll replace the crap Mackie and the Quantum for a Ross Martin Audio Dual BareBeast and the Tannoys for an IPL SM2 pair... I hope.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:06 am

Nice, a double tape deck. I still have one but it is in the attic. I forgot the brand, it could be Technics but I have no use for it anymore.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:03 am

^ low tech noise generator?
I used to plug the tape in (REC) to the tape out (PLAY) then hit record and feedback the thing - the one I used to have had those big stereo dials for the recording gain.
Output is from the headphones socket ;) feed that through an effects box and it's good for a crazy techno night.

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:02 pm

I miss the old Technics. No nonsense hardware, great sound, superb reliability. Panasonic has reintroduced the brand now. Sadly, it seems to have forgotten where it came from and is being targeted at the luxury/audiophool crowd :(

hexon
Saltimbocca-Roller

Unread post by hexon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:26 pm

all my hardware for music is only moc .... :)

http://picpaste.com/2015-11-09-17-15-30 ... fXJHxQ.png

long since I have no other equipment .... just so ...

but I do have other equipment also music :) :)

here's my religion

http://picpaste.com/pics/ce4a7967c526f9 ... 086326.jpg

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:46 am

I have a new toy. I bought a record player for 10 Euros on a local flea market.
Attachments
universum_semi_automatic.jpg