Art Rock

darry1966
CLIt Licker

Art Rock

Unread post by darry1966 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:29 am

Art rock is a subgenre of rock music that originated in the 1960s with influences from art (avant-garde and classical) music.
Art rock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well couldn't find any sections for Art Rock so decided to start this one. Here is an exmaple.

David Bowie's latest going back to his Art Rock influences of the 70's with this very Jazz orientated number.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw

Listened to this a thousand times over, I love it's complexity and background instruments and Bowie's vocals.

Curious what you guys think? Personally I like it better than his 80's, 90's stuff. Kind reminds of Berlin period but different.
LinuxBBQ is Sexy. Runs BBQ Stable.

rhowaldt
Dog

Re: Art Rock

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:43 pm

not to be confused with:
Rock Art
[..] rock art is human-made markings placed on natural stone

i quite like that track. the beginning 3-4 minutes (and ending as well when that part returns) sounds a lot like the later Radiohead.
i enjoy the combination of "rock" and "jazz" and "electronic" elements, and it is certainly interesting as far as musical ideas go, unconventional yet emotional. good shit. my wife likes it too :)

i've never been a huge Bowie fan. i love some of his songs to death (Rock 'n Roll Suicide for example), but hate others vehemently (like fucking Let's Dance and that crap during that time).
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Re: Art Rock

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:45 pm

Unfortunately cannot go into that new track of Bowie on German's Youtube.. I love Bowie though, also some of his strange experimental things.
It will surely cross with our Prog Rock thread with bands like Genesis, King Crimson etc.