Drinking a Sleighr
xdfa156f0555583212bae2ad1efd983e9.png.pagespeed.ic.kClbZ7mwbq.png
Listening to Slayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7rpoZE8 ... j51MGDAQlJ

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Re: Distortion Pedal (Metal Corner)

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Because today feels like a good day for Behemoth.

[yt]bdXc-GxKrDE[/yt]
Happy music.
[yt]wziY-YPf8S4[/yt]
These guys have been a band longer than I've been alive...and still, so brutal.
|>>BBQ Roaster, Alpha Branch<< | >> clinky << | >> X11 must die << |
Thanks BASIC

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:25 pm

maybe somebody here can explain to me the thing i never understood about 'death metal' (if that is what Behemoth is... fucking genres weirdness) - anyway: what are they trying to say here, exactly? i mean, popsongs often talk about love and happiness and positive messages, or breakups and whatever. i watched this entire Behemoth clip and i am not sure what to take away from it. they want evil to conquer the world? they want demon babies? what is their goal in life? what is their emotion? surely it isn't simply 'anger', or you could've just played punk and be done with it... and i don't quite believe they are really that evil either, they probably have wives and kids or something... so... anybody who can enlighten me?
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Having played bass in a death metal combo, I can tell you that first and foremost we cared about was beer.
As you say, it is exactly the other side of the spectrum - where on the pink side they use love and happiness, the black side talks about hate and suffer, at least to some extend, or not all and always, but generally yes. It's quite one-dimensional, because then we could ask: what do jazzers want to 'tell' us (I still believe most musicians make music for themselves, and being heard is just a bonus). The blues talks about work and poverty, while swing - on the other side of the spectrum - had themes around entertainment and self-indulgence. I think it's just a natural reaction on the side of the 'sufferers' to create a counterpoint.
..gnutella..

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:58 pm

rhowaldt wrote:and i don't quite believe they are really that evil either, they probably have wives and kids or something... so... anybody who can enlighten me?
They indeed have wives and kids Rho and are not really evil, they are pretty normal dudes. They play it like a roll on stage, on covers. It is a form of artistic expression. Death Metal is like watching B movies, look at bands like Cannibal Corpse or Six Feet Under and their artwork. They speak about terror, horror movies, zombies etc etc. Though, the genre thing is problematic, where to draw the lines. There are so many bands and I think some of them are just having fun while others are more serious, there are even political or social messages you can interpret.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:03 pm

If you ever want to read an interesting book regarding black metal, this is pretty good:

http://feralhouse.com/lords-of-chaos/
Attachments
Lords-of-Chaos-220x326.jpg
Lords-of-Chaos-220x326.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 195878 times

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:22 pm

ok that explains it a bit. bones brings up a book about 'Satanic' things... while i have always understood Satanism to be a form of egoism, or belief in the self (less loaded term) - look up the Satanic Bible by Anthony LaVey for example - i feel the metal-part of this was really about the devil and demons and shit, and, well.. i guess i have a hard time placing it, or something. not that i am against any of the ideas behind it all, i just... don't quite get it. simple controversy, an anti-movement, is that all there is to it? gotta be more than that.

what i guess i'm saying here is: when a popstar sings about love, they have (often, i think, hope) experienced that themselves. when a metal band sings about flaying somebody alive, i doubt they have experienced it themselves in any way (yes, i am aware of those Scandinavian Black Metal Murderers and such, but i think that's as close as it gets)...
i feel the delivery of the music is too serious for it to be simply theater or an anti-movement, but i cannot understand how they translate their emotions to the extremes of torture and eating people and whatnot... and even if they do take it as some type of analogy or methaphor, they often seem to glorify these things as well.

so, still somewhat lost. hope you understand what my issue is here, or i'll have to type *even more* :D

btw, again, not condemning any of this. just trying to clear up years of confusion.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Rho, I think it's mostly just bored, grumpy, angry, confused dudes trying to appear really extreme. In most cases (as detailed in Lords of Chaos) these guys don't even believe in Satan or Satanism, they were just trying to get a rise out of people. With others, there was a nationalistic/Aryan bent to it.

Every generation feels the need to push things a little farther than the one before, too, I think.

And I think some just want to see how loud and fast they can play, and then throw in some ridiculous lyrics.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:05 pm

I am anyway not into that forms of Metal but you have also to distuingish between Black and Death Metal but here we are again with the genre problematic. But one thing is for sure, I despise Aryan or nationalistic Black Metal.

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:11 pm

I played guitar for a Technical Death Metal group (sub-genres are fun, that means you should bring an abacus to write songs). For us, it was all theatrics. It sells tickets, brings in angry young people, and thus...buys more beer.

As far as Satanism is concerned, it's mostly reactionary to years of religions being pushed at you...and still being stuck in an endless cycle of poverty. I had a rapper talk to me one day, and I think that he understood the concept better than anyone. He said that where as he was writing songs about hustling and money because it was something that he felt would be a drastic change from never knowing what a normal family felt like, not having money to put gas in the car, and being the heel of humanity...that he felt that we were simply a different view of the same side of the social gap. That we wanted to "pour oil on french beaches that we'd never be able to visit."

That might be the most honest answer about the anger involved in the entire genre of music.
Thanks BASIC

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:36 pm

ok, thanks guys. noble causes for sure, it's like the punk-attitude but a lot more complex because they prefer not to appear like dumbasses (as many punks do, and don't care about, and often aren't at all). probably the complexity of the issue is why i didn't immediately get it.

now then, here's my part of the metal-thingy. i am from the (somewhat sad but nonetheless pretty cool) age of nu-metal, and loved this song always:

[yt]nRz-yw-wp34[/yt]

also, these guys were good on their first two albums:

[yt]cCslC3ykX-U[/yt]

still a nice song for when you're angry as fuck.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Not that much into Limp Bizkit but Korn were really cool. I liked their innovative sound and cool video clips and honestly, I will out myself, I prefer Korn to many many classic Heavy Metal bands, sure Korn is not Metal, but that is not what they intended to be IMO. I also saw them live. What they do now, I have no idea, not following anymore since one of them went all religious and shit and left the band. Nowadays they seem just to copy themselves.

Follow The Leader, one of the best albums, Life is Peachy, also very good as is the debut album.

The song Blind on the self titled album is a legend and more raw than the newer stuff. Just great and angry.

[yt]5_hIojjA3A4[/yt]

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:06 pm

On nu-metal. I really enjoyed these guys when I saw them live. Plus, they're musically interesting. I also like Maynard James Keenan's tenor over the grind of their music.
[yt]07pLGIgyfjw[/yt]
Thanks BASIC

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:16 pm

^ I still listen to and love Tool!

[yt]FE1pd-vsP9s[/yt]

And the clips are cool, though I have no idea why they should be put into the Nu Metal movement but I do not care, good music is good music.

bones
Clooney

Unread post by bones » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:21 pm

One of my favs that (I think) gets labeled as nu-metal. Saw these guys a couple of years ago (my favorite Armenian music, haha).

[yt]zUzd9KyIDrM[/yt]

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:25 pm

@David
I could be wrong to categorize them as "nu-metal", but I tend to listen to much heavier music. I may be unfairly lumping them in with other bands that were popular around the same time.
Thanks BASIC

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:15 pm

^ It is not your fault. I could not care less about genres.

@Clooney: S.O.A.D. is good shit.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:36 am

^ let me just mention that SOAD's *first album* (named, unoriginally, SOAD) is very good shit. the second one (the one where they got the hit-single Chop Suey off) is okay but not nearly as good as the first. after that, i don't know, stopped caring.

[yt]esCHIALtO1s[/yt]

nice. also:

[yt]u8XVlAIm6O0[/yt]

great track to wake up to :)

DebianJoe
Frame Buffer

Unread post by DebianJoe » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:50 am

Oh, hell yes Rho! Digital Bath is one of my personal favorite songs.
[yt]VZF9vXeX_nQ[/yt]
Thanks BASIC