Distortion Pedal (Metal Corner)

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Re: Distortion Pedal (Metal Corner)

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:43 am

^ kinda disliked that album (and Chaos A.D.) for one reason or another during my youth, idk must have something to do with those anti-nu-metal blah blah sentiment those days....
To be fair, i love Max Cavalera's voice in that particular album, more intense than during Beneath the Remains for sure.
rice no more.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:12 pm

i grew up in the middle of the nu-metal period, and fwiw i've never considered Sepultura to be anything resembling nu-metal. they were, afaik, well-establish before bands like KoRn popped up. The music also has a distinctly different vibe, a lot less "emo" (for lack of a better term). it's a bit like saying Slipknot are part of nu-metal because they released shit right after that era.
Of course Max Cavalera did do Soulfly after Sepultura broke up, and that was more nu-metal indeed (at least their first album).

anyway, i know you said you didn't know why you disliked them, just wanted to chime in ;)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:32 pm

Nah it's because i'm super edgy those days... Narrow minded and pretentious you can say like most kids do around these parts of the world.. ;)
I tend to abhor things that other people don't like, the stereotypical tr00 methulhead blah blah....
rice no more.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Chaos A.D. is another classic. :) Some tell it is a kind of Neo Thrash, like Pantera. Then they called it Groove Metal, I like this term. It fits perfectly with Pantera's sound. I like Metal to groove.

Old Sepultura never was Nu Metal. The album Roots is very progressive. Tribal drum sounds, world music influences. I love that. Yes, it was produced by Ross Robinson, like the first Korn albums and some others but I do not see it as something negative. Some bands just innovated and others got on the bandwagon and eventually destroyed the genre with bands like Linkin Park etc.

I always disliked the stereotypical old school metal to paraphrase Frank. :) That does not mean I was a fan of many of the Nu Metal bands from the 90s and 00s.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Yup, it was mostly my ignorance during my younger days (i was around 11 iIrc first time i heard that album) that caused me to neglect logical thinking. Anyway as i grew older i kinda like bits and pieces of nu-metal acts... Like deftones

:)
rice no more.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:19 am

was thinking about this, and wanted to include Deftones but then i read the description of Nu Metal on Wikipedia and with the emphasis/mixing in of hiphop and rhythm-oriented stuff, im not sure Deftones would actually fit in with the rest. Korn and Limp Bizkit (first 2 albums) are the only real Nu Metal bands i liked. after that you got Dope and POD and whatever shit, and i always felt they weren't super interesting. Limp Bizkit got me into hiphop more, which i consider a good thing, and Korn just have some awesome songs (on Life is Peachy). I'm not sure where to place System of a Down in this whole thing, but they were fucking amazing too, their first album is fantastic.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:55 am

I'm not an expert of categorising music, but IMO earlier Deftones album are nu-metal, though i agreed they do differ from the rest of the pack especially after uhhh what's the name of the album with Pink Maggit in it? I forgot. :(

Edit: I googled the stuff, it's White Pony.... :)
rice no more.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:36 am

well that's a good point anyway. damn categories suck a bit :)

rust collector
Motörhead

Unread post by rust collector » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:51 am

When you talk about sub subgenres, and sub sub subgenres, it imo gets a bit pointless, and just difficult.
Especially as not all bands are as consistent as say motörhead and ac/dc.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:52 pm

rhowaldt wrote:I'm not sure where to place System of a Down in this whole thing, but they were fucking amazing too, their first album is fantastic.
Oh man, sure. I think there is really no point giving them a category as we already pointed out. They were just awesome.

Regarding Deftones, variety, that is why I like them. Korn probably invented the whole thing and the rest is just shit. Follow the Leader. :)

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:44 pm

I used to listen to all the bands named here. Even saw some of them live. I still have some records at my parents's house, I'm sure. After many listenings, I think Deftones's Koi No Yokan is the best that could possibly be said nowadays within these "sounds".

franksinistra
Ivana Fukalot

Unread post by franksinistra » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:50 pm

^^ actually it was Tool that probably invented it, but anyway as rusty, rho, and you kindly pointed it out, it doesn't matter... :)

^ i agreed wholeheartedly on that point GP, koi no yokan and diamond eyes are probably the best they can offer.
rice no more.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:55 pm

^ Well, if we're down to "who invented it" I'm with Ivan: Korn did it when it comes to nu-metal. Tool quickly moved to a more progressive/art sound, building their own music style.

noo_b_nomnoms
MILF

Unread post by noo_b_nomnoms » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:07 am

I soo love the Deftones! White Pony is the album you're looking for with Pink Maggit, and Koi No Yokan is beautiful! Tempest....ah! They were a little different. :) Tool was also a favorite from those days. Sober was my drunk-as-f#@$-and-don't-f@#%$&$-care anthem,lols. I have to agree that Tool was more of a prog-metal outfit, and A Perfect Circle was....?
Limp Bizkit! I even have the remix album,lols. I think Durst kind of in the beginning saw the band as a new form of punk. Even the name of the band and the album titles were used to assault the senses. I love the punk of Black Flag, The Circle Jerks,Gang Green, The Descendants, and early on you can see those influences, but you can also see how they evolved just by starting with $3 Bill,Y'all and tripping on through CSATHDFW.
I never saw Pantera as numetal, though. They clearly evolved from the era of Slayer and King Diamond, there was even a hint of Black Sabbath and Judas Priest in their music, but really their sound was just more polished (studio wise- crisp,clear drums,guitars,vocals- all very clean). They did not rap or use any of the techno effects like Korn (who I love,also), I remember one critic who called their music "Bulldozer Metal", and I tend to agree. Just very aggressive metal that maybe bridged old/nu?
IDK, I just love it all! So good to see those bands mentioned here that I had to open my big mouth,lols!
Sir! Put down the hammer and slowly step away from the computer.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 am

Korn did stuff i'd never heard before. Just listen to a song like Twist. or who knows, perhaps i just don't know enough metal to recognize it, but to me it was a fresh things.

For Limp Bizkit, i always thought the first album was really good and quite ignored by most (since they only got their big break with Nookie, which was on the 2nd album).
Here's Counterfeit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drj_EhQXVl0
Polution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vWo1A6-mwM
And always loved their cover of Faith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-EdCNjumvI

they carried this same rawness over to their 2nd album, Significant Other, but after that i feel it all went more "showy" and more hiphop than metal, and i lost interest (rather listen to proper hiphop instead :)

never managed to get into Tool at all. don't know why, i think i just didn't enjoy the melody lines and such. i always recognized them as an important band but couldn't find the appreciation. kinda like how Phil Collins is an amazingly talented musician but the music he makes with that talent is, to me, just uninteresting.

checking out Pantera now, and it's a bit too "American" sounding for me. I can't stand the vocals. It's similar to what always annoyed me a bit about Metallica. the "i'm so cool"-voice, or something. i also dislike Pearl Jam for similar reasons.

I always liked Deftones' Lotion. again, a strangeness in the song appeals to me. this is quite a weird rhythm or something. anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzTxy9Haij0
hahaha, no idea what the song is about either, can't understand anything from the lyrics. fucking stop screaming dude. XD

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:45 pm

To my ears, Tool are (were) way better than every other name you mention, Rho.

Problem with Tool is they haven't done shit since 2006, always touring around with the same sets. I saw them live 4 times, they always played the same set and I got just bored.

That's why today I prefer listening to Deftones, especially Koi No Yokan, when I want this kind of heavy sounds. Or ISIS, but they were a totally different beast.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:08 pm

not saying Tool are bad. from what i've heard of their stuff it is really good music. however, it doesn't resonate with me, and the other bands do, that's all :)

btw: i never really listen to any of this stuff anymore. younger years :)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:20 pm

GekkoP wrote:Tool quickly moved to a more progressive/art sound, building their own music style.
Tool is indeed more Progressive than anything else in my book and I love them.
noo_b_nomnoms wrote: I never saw Pantera as numetal, though.
That is why I called it Groove Metal. A term they used for themselves iirc. I think they were the foundation to build upon.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:22 pm

^ I think so. Also: I've always preferred Down to Pantera, but that's just me being picky.

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Down is already more Stoner. Damn me, categorizing.