The Root of Samples

johnraff
Sperminator

Re: The Root of Samples

Unread post by johnraff » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:47 pm

GekkoP wrote:^ though not my favorite Davis's, Kind Of Blue is one of the first jazz album I bought. Along with Coltrane's A Love Supreme brought me to jazz years ago.
A Love Supreme is also a classic! That and "My Favourite Things" were how I discovered Coltrane. He's on Kind of Blue too of course. I'm still not really a jazz expert though.

Gekko, what is your favourite Mile Davis?
All code is one.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:51 pm

^ not an expert either. I love classics (Davis, Mingus, Coltrane and Dolphy mainly) and something more recent (Massimo Urbani). But I like digging through the giants discography just to getting to know them better. With Davis, it's a never-ending journey for instance.

Favorite Davis: On The Corner

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:09 pm

makes sense what you are saying John. i agree on Hendrix, but i also do like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin (hardly to be called 'metal' though)... that Miles Davis song is great, thanks for that :)
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:05 pm

"Deep Purple" had different "marks", and each is radically different, so it's not really fair to generalize (positively or negatively) - after all, they had 4 lead vocalists (three of them being really 'famous' - Ian Gillan, David Coverdale, Joe Lynn Turner), and two lead guitarist (Blackmore and later Steve Morse). All in all, 80% of their albums were crap, and even hardcore DP fans don't like all of their line-ups. Same here.

Hehe, I just noticed that we carried the thread away from "Where does a certain *sample* derive from?" to "Why blues really sucks" :D
..gnutella..

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:23 pm

I was gonna say, as a forum mod, to get back on track, but as it's mostly forum mods discussing, and I like the direction its going...
Fuck it 8)
still sort of ontopic, as all of the artists have been sampled, i might even oblige this thread with a few.
jimi hendrix drums have totally been sampled... give me a while...
"Seek, and Ye shall find"
"Github | Chooons | Site"

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:26 pm

"Scenario" by A Tribe Called Quest feat. Leaders of the New School sampled Jimi Hendrix's "Little Miss Lover" and so it goes on 8)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:28 pm

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Ok looks like no-ones sampled the Blues breakers. 8)

ivanovnegro
Minister of Truth

Unread post by ivanovnegro » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:56 am

wuxmedia wrote:I was gonna say, as a forum mod, to get back on track, but as it's mostly forum mods discussing, and I like the direction its going...
Fuck it 8)
Yeah. :D

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:11 am

wux, you are an awesome mod. mattered the handle swiftly. i sent you a PM, please check.

i just sampled Stan Getz & Bill Evans - Night and Day, one of Getz' solos that is. great to work with i must say, cut it right up and it still sounds gorgeous.

anyway, bacon just made a valid point.
All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

machinebacon
Baconator

Unread post by machinebacon » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:41 am

EGONUH!

/moved to /dev/null
..gnutella..

johnraff
Sperminator

Unread post by johnraff » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:33 pm

GekkoP wrote:I love classics (Davis, Mingus, Coltrane and Dolphy mainly) and something more recent (Massimo Urbani). But I like digging through the giants discography just to getting to know them better. With Davis, it's a never-ending journey for instance.

Favorite Davis: On The Corner
I must check out On The Corner. (Bitches Brew is also incredible.) You've covered the people I like too, pretty much - add Theolonius Monk, Ornette Coleman. There's much more jazz I'd like to get into some day...

GekkoP your title is "Deadhead"! What's your fav. Dead stuff? I love their freeform jams like Dark Star, Playing in the Band and The Other One. Image
All code is one.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:58 pm

also check out Stan Getz & Bill Evans - Night and Day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChrMbTEuDDs
love those solos.

GekkoP
Emacs Sancho Panza

Unread post by GekkoP » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:43 am

@johnraff: don't get me started on the Dead, otherwise I will bore everyone. ;)
Jokes aside, I love everything they made, especially live cause live is where they were really unique. Just check deadlistening.com for tips and reviews about their huge live career. Be ready for a very long trip, though.
Oh, Monk, yeah, another great one.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:12 am

Ok back in, one I heard on the radio yesterday, always wondered what he was saying.

Big Youth - Solomon a Gunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efM4odubBds

Sampled by;

The Beastie Boys - Funky Boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXV1-NPT8pY

gutterslob
Resident Tranny

Unread post by gutterslob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Been listening to a lot of Nujabes (R.I.P) today. The man was a deity when it came to sampling.
Example: http://www.whosampled.com/sample/155534 ... arly-Bird/

Also found this a few weeks ago;
http://thefindmag.com/downloads/stream- ... mplicious/
The bits in brackets are his own tracks, so just search for em on youtube to see how he used the samples.

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:15 pm

^ nice.

Just heard this on the radio. One for Rhow:

Ennio Morricone -Alla Luce Del Giorno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYXy-Q33OZw

nicked by this guy:
Venetian Snares - Dance Like You're Selling Nails
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjQJeMF7HM8#t=314

/me puts on rose tinted specs
I was there 10 years ago:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/content/ar ... ture.shtml
with the support group. We had a Jesus (blond skinny long haired friend) Vs Muhammed (me with beard) fight as a warm up. Jesus won. kicked my ass.

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:59 pm

^ nice :) - i bet Vsnares nicked a whole bunch of stuff for that song, if you go listen to it in full it is a total mess of different styles and shit.

that said, his entire album Rossz... etc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossz_Csil ... 3%BCletett is sampled classical music (almost all of it)... check out the wikipedia page for more on that :)

wuxmedia
Grasshopper

Unread post by wuxmedia » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:00 pm

yeah, I know the song, I always liked the jaunty tune, then today, what did I hear on ilinois street lounge..?
what he has done, which has earnt my respect, is he used it as a base for other directions, not just a loop, he's taken it somewhere else.
Plus he used Amigas, you can tell he's a tracker nut (octamed though pfft.)

rhowaldt
Dog

Unread post by rhowaldt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:35 am

^ Renoise nowadays. if you are interested, he also does purely analog stuff under the 'Last Step' moniker. and yes, that is the nice thing with Mr Funk: he always takes everything somewhere else, and usually someplace you didn't even knew existed :)